This is destroying my life

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

This is destroying my life

Postby n8634 on October 20th, 2014, 8:49 am

Hi everyone. I'm a 26 year old male in college. I'm having some serious issues involving twitching and weakness. It started last January with twitching only on one side of body and weakness in my right shoulder and leg. I went to the neurologist and had an EMG and MRI done which both came back clean. I figured I was out of trouble then and tried to go on with life. Then things got suddenly worse in August of this year. The twitching in the affected limbs now NEVER stops. I'm having difficulty with tasks that involve using my shoulder or bending down with my leg. They ache and shake if I try to use them. My arch in my right foot also cramps often. Also I think my foot has atrophied some because my right shoe is now looser.

I've scheduled another appointment with the neurologist but I'm worried sick that this is progression of ALS or MS. The worry is destroying my life...I cant stop thinking about it and can no longer enjoy things I used to. Can someone please talk to me? Was the testing too early last year? Is this ALS?
n8634

Re: This is destroying my life

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 20th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I hope that the words of this response make sense and really get through. I truly do understand because I have been there. I'm chiming in because I think it is very important to understand that no event or set of circumstances can destroy our lives unless we let them. To help illustrate this point I will use an example of perspective. Let's say you are buying a house and you are really good at negotiating. You get the house for under market value. Is this good or bad? Well, for you the purchaser it can be perceived as good. After all, you got a house under market value. Shift your perspective to the seller. On one hand they can be happy that they sold their house, thus their perception can be positive. On the other hand, they might not realize the potential profit they gave up until after the papers were signed. They could choose to view selling their house for under market value as a bad thing. If they really got carried away they could let the regret of this deal eat away at them and make them miserable for weeks or even months. So what determines their happiness? Their perspective! It is all in the perspective. They have a choice to let things go or to hang on to them. We all have this choice in every aspect of our lives.

Health issues are not like buying or selling a house, but the choice in perspective is still there. Illness and disease can be incredibly unpleasant to experience but they can also be catalysts for positive change. Believe it or not I actually now view BFS as having been a positive force in shaping my life. It caused me to re-evaluate my priorities in life along with my attitude and perspective. I am a changed man because of my experience with BFS. You too have a choice. You can let your fear and worry consume you. You can regret the opportunities you believe this condition is causing you to miss. On the other hand you might decide to take this opportunity to shift your focus and energy. You can start learning about the mind and how it works so that you can properly break out of your patterns of fear and worry. There are proven techniques and tools you can use to help you. Don't expect anything to change though if you just keep doing the same things. A shift is required on your part. A shift in attitude, a shift in perspective, along with a commitment followed through with action.

This board is here to help you along and the people here will support you but nobody here can do the work for you. You will have to decide if you want to change and then you will have to do something to make it happen. It is a lot easier when you do the right things. Good luck.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on October 20th, 2014, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Jayden on October 20th, 2014, 7:54 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:I hope that the words of this response make sense and really get through. I truly do understand because I have been there. I'm chiming in because I think it is very important to understand that no event or set of circumstances can destroy our lives unless we let them. To help illustrate this point I will use an example of perspective. Let's say you are buying a house and you are really good at negotiating. You get the house for under market value. Is this good or bad? Well, for you the purchaser it can be perceived as good. After all, you got a house under market value. Shift your perspective to the seller. On one hand they can be happy that they sold their house, thus their perception can be positive. On the other hand, they might not realize the potential profit they gave up until after the papers were signed. They could choose to view selling their house for under market value as a bad thing. If they really got carried away they could let the regret of this deal eat away at them and make them miserable for weeks or even months. So what determines their happiness? Their perspective! It is all in the perspective. They have a choice to let things go or to hang on to them. We all have this choice in every aspect of our lives.

Health issues are not like buying or selling a house, but the choice in perspective is still there. Illness and disease can be incredibly unpleasant to experience but they can also be catalysts for positive change. Believe it or not I actually now view BFS as having been a positive force in shaping my life. It caused me to re-evaluate my priorities in life along with my attitude and perspective. I am a changed man because of my experience with BFS. You too have a choice. You can let your fear and worry consume you. You can regret the opportunities you believe this condition is causing you to miss. On the other hand you might decide to take this opportunity to shift your focus and energy. You can start learning about the mind and how it works so that you can properly break out of your patterns of fear and worry. There are proven techniques and tools you can use to help you. Don't expect anything to change though if you just keep doing the same things. A shift is required on your part. A shift in attitude, a shift in perspective, along with a commitment followed through with action.

This board is here to help you along and the people here will support you but nobody here can do the work for you. You will have to decide if you want to change and then you will have to do something to make it happen. It is a lot easier when you do the right things. Good luck.

Pm sent.
Jayden

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS