Pain, cramping, spasticity: questions

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pain, cramping, spasticity: questions

Postby d75 on October 16th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Hello. Still in a bit of a state as my thumb and wrist pain is getting worse and worse (ironically the arm twitching has calmed down a little bit). The pain I have is a sharp pain at the base of my thumb and back of wrist, on exertion, is certain positions. It feels like the kind of pain you get when you have injured or badly strained a muscle. I think. I cannot feel any stiffness or seizing up when it hurts. Am a right to think 'bad' pain comes with contractions and are linked to spasticity? That it involves 'locking' and an inability to move the muscle? I apologise if this is similar to something I posted in the support group recently, I'm just not thinking very clearly.
d75
Hero
Hero

Re: Pain, cramping, spasticity: questions

Postby guitarguy11 on October 16th, 2014, 2:09 pm

I believe that your description is correct, but I will leave it to the more experienced folks to comment for sure. I will tell you though, that I experienced similar pain in my left thumb and palm from July through very recently (and some in my right palm, but not as bad). I was also feeling like the palm was tight and burning sensations. It is now starting to get better although it still flares up - but the flare ups are not as bad - each time they seem to not hurt as bad as before and go away faster. What I think I did was get/give myself tendonitis in my hand from a couple of things:

1) Perhaps from playing with my kids in the pool over the summer,
2) Typing and desk work (hard to get away from this, but I take more breaks than I used to - also I changed keyboards),
3) Over stretching them when they started to bother me - I was bad about this - constantly flexing them, holding them out from my body and stretching them, etc. MUCH more than I ever used to. I found myself doing all kinds of weird stretches that I had never done before in my whole life, as far as I can remember - because I was freaking out BAD.
4) Playing guitar.

I think #3 was the worst culprit. I stopped myself from stretching them and over the last 2 weeks, they are getting much better. If you are finding yourself stretching them, flexing them, or over exercising them more than you used to, STOP and let them rest. I am slowly going back to playing the guitar in short bursts and finding they are not hurting like they were.

Hope this helps you.
guitarguy11

Postby d75 on October 17th, 2014, 5:33 am

Thank you, that helps. Am back in a very dark place today - twitching has returned to distracting levels and clinging to anything which points towards a benign explanation.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby wjjw on October 17th, 2014, 8:06 am

d75 wrote:Thank you, that helps. Am back in a very dark place today - twitching has returned to distracting levels and clinging to anything which points towards a benign explanation.

Hey d75, the thing that clearly points to a benign explanation is based on the facts that you have had BFS for years, and BFS has been proven to be erratic and shown that it can return with a vengeance weeks, months or years after seemingly subsiding. In other words, you're having a classic flare up. Years after my BFS subsided to a good degree I had many months of disturbing abdominal spasms that I could continually feel in the background all day long. If I bent the wrong way, I could trigger a full blown ab cramp, which really sucked. I reasoned that this had to be related to original cause of this weirdness--BFS, and given enough time it would probably go away, which it eventually did. However, if sometime it returns in the future I won't be surprised.

You've got nothing really new going on. :-) Good to hear from you.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby d75 on October 17th, 2014, 11:48 am

Thanks for that, Bill. Much appreciated.
d75
Hero
Hero

Postby d75 on October 18th, 2014, 11:26 am

Would still be keen to know the answer to the pain question, though, should anyone happen to know or to have asked their neurologist at some point. It is still very much on my mind, and I'd rather not google the wrong things.
d75
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS