Weigh in on second opinion

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Weigh in on second opinion

Postby LKP1231 on October 7th, 2014, 8:03 pm

I'm sure I'll get mixed answers but a second opinion - yes or no? The neuro said no disease saying the denervation in all my limbs is attributed to my back which has some disc and nerve issues. He says PT will help and to make sure I take b12. He said I didn't need him to repeat the emg. He didn't tell me till I asked to many questions about the denervation seemingly bc he knows what is causing it and feels PT will help.
Do I go thru this all again and risk a worse result or try the PT and go from there? It's not like I had a clean emg. If I did I wouldn't even think about it.
Help!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Re: Weigh in on second opinion

Postby MarioMangler on October 8th, 2014, 12:54 am

I would say just listen to the doctor. Which is exactly what you should have done the first time. The more you choose to doubt it the more you just make it worse on yourself.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on October 8th, 2014, 1:15 am

I see the most danger for you in details you may get in second opinion. As I tried to example in our previous conversation, 5 positive bits of information (including overall goos condition of musculosceletal system and intact functions) are completely crossed out for you by two facts - you still twitch and you were told to have denervaion in all libms which is a great distressing factor for you becasue you do not take explanation of reasons as a true one. Each doctor has its own view on details. I am really sure your doctros would be solid in interpretation of main facts - that you do not have ALS, but in details they may have different opinions, it is like in a story about blind men touching the elefant :) The elefant is that you do not have ALS,but one will say - yeee denrvation, another will say - and reinnervation too (and you may again get in panick for hearing another neurological word), the third one will tell - but those waves are not sharp ENOUGH to be considered as pathological (and again you would get in panick - aaaa, maybe the guy just has no idea what is enough and what is not!) - etc.

SO if you are still going to get second opinion on generally positive diagnosis (saying positive I mean positive for you but negative in terms that you do not have disease you fear of), it might be good not to come with position of questioning that positive diagnosis, but try to ask them to explain why your diagnosis is still "NO ALS", i.e., let them explain in details how the diagnostics works and why you do not meed ALS diagnosis criteria. That might work I hope.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 8th, 2014, 5:32 am

But in all 4 limbs? This is what we all worry about. He said from the back issues but they are sensory and motor. Is t motor from spinal cord? Not discs? He said ruled out disease bc he sees where they originate in nerve root. Can motor be from there?
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS