Page 2 of 2

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 4:54 pm
by Jayden
Btw
Normal reflexes and no babinski or clonus,normal clinical test.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2014, 2:32 am
by Yuliasir
which is VERY GOOD

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 4:14 pm
by Jayden
Should I ask for another EMG and ask to test the tongue?.
I dont want to be rude,or that doc thinks I'm crazy,but i haven't get any better from my symptoms.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 12:26 am
by Yuliasir
Jayden,
EMG is not a cure, and if doctor says - your EMG is OK - this measn only that yout EMG on the studied muscle does not show any signs of disease. If you at the same time do not have ant worrying symptomes on clinical exam, it really does not matter where the needle was stick, as such EMG is usually done as a chance for patient to calm down (however it ususally works vice versa).

If you expect that aymptoms will disappear after EMG, it is not so, as EMG is not a therapeutic procedure but a diagnostic one. Bulbar EMG is recommended only if you have noticeable problems with speech or swallowing reflex (not tightness in the throat but reflex changes which mean complete inability to swallow due to closing of threat instead of its opening to pass the food in. Speech problems also must be evident andusually include severe slurring, loss of voice volume etc. If you do not demonstrate this, it is usually unnecessary (consider procedure is quite unpleasant).

We have here a fellow, eho got 20 EMGS in 10 months or so, virtually in any muscle he felt he has a trouble with, and this reallr record bunch of EMGs did not helped him to feel mentally better. In BFS, when you do not have definite diagnosis of something fatal, but a lot of confusing symptomes, it is normally your decision to feel yourself Ok with twitches which really helps to decrease them.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 9:43 am
by Jayden
Yuliasir wrote:Jayden,
EMG is not a cure, and if doctor says - your EMG is OK - this measn only that yout EMG on the studied muscle does not show any signs of disease. If you at the same time do not have ant worrying symptomes on clinical exam, it really does not matter where the needle was stick, as such EMG is usually done as a chance for patient to calm down (however it ususally works vice versa).

If you expect that aymptoms will disappear after EMG, it is not so, as EMG is not a therapeutic procedure but a diagnostic one. Bulbar EMG is recommended only if you have noticeable problems with speech or swallowing reflex (not tightness in the throat but reflex changes which mean complete inability to swallow due to closing of threat instead of its opening to pass the food in. Speech problems also must be evident andusually include severe slurring, loss of voice volume etc. If you do not demonstrate this, it is usually unnecessary (consider procedure is quite unpleasant).

We have here a fellow, eho got 20 EMGS in 10 months or so, virtually in any muscle he felt he has a trouble with, and this reallr record bunch of EMGs did not helped him to feel mentally better. In BFS, when you do not have definite diagnosis of something fatal, but a lot of confusing symptomes, it is normally your decision to feel yourself Ok with twitches which really helps to decrease them.

Hi,I think i didn't make myself clear and i apologize.
I know EMG is not a cure,why would it be.?
I personally hate them.
Everyone of them have been requested by the doctor Not me.
i don't expect my symptoms to disappear after an EMG, they still here and kicking.

I been under treatment for the last 20 or so months, depression and anxiety pills, twitching pills,therapy,exercise,massages,salt baths,time off,vitamins,diets...you name it.
None of it has improve my symptoms.
This thing has taken a huge toll over my family and me.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 10:03 am
by Yuliasir
well, specialists on psychotherapy say it takes about 7 times to release consequences of stress and fear. After single panick attack which had lasted maybe 5 minutes maximum I was really badly sick for 5 months and really felt I never would be the same quite for a while. Psychotherapy once per week took me about 5 years to feel I am more or less a whole person, not a wreck. And it did not made me a happy yuppi smiling girl (maybe because I am not a girl anyway, it just had given me another point of vision and a bit of tools to keep up with my old fears). I do not know what is wrong with your therapy (maybe nothing wrong, just not enough time) or with your pills (maybe just not of the type you need) or with the whole your life (you know this better anyway).

I also misunderstood yu and apologize of course - I thought you ask about another EMG becasue after first one symptomes did not fade.

if you have things going WORSE - then, probably, yes, but if they are the same and no noticeable deficite occurs, then probably the reason is not purely neurological and EMG again would be a waste of resources.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 11:32 am
by Xina535
Jayden wrote:I been under treatment for the last 20 or so months, depression and anxiety pills, twitching pills,therapy,exercise,massages,salt baths,time off,vitamins,diets...you name it.
None of it has improve my symptoms.
This thing has taken a huge toll over my family and me.



Hi Jayden, I'd hate to say this, and don't take this the wrong way please, but then I officially welcome you to the BFS world. We are all trying to find treatment or something that will help our symptoms. We all share ways that we feel do provide some relief, but we all react to the things differently. So hypnosis may work for me but not for someone else and bath salts work for another but are useless for someone else. It takes a lot of patience, and trying things out. Also, many of us go through phases of symptoms, like my twitching will die down, but then I'll have some weakness somewhere, so they change, and may be something you've seen happen or will see happen. This is why many of us keep running to the docs, with a new symptom. We all (or most of us) have major set backs in our family, work, social lives, etc. So it also takes THEIR patience with us as well.

I wrote that to let you know you are not alone, we all experience this. But agree fully that if anything gets worse, to go back to the doc. Maybe not immediately, like wait a couple days (if you can, depending on the symptom), if it dies down again.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 11:34 am
by Jayden
Thanks for you're comments Yuliasir.
I appreciate it.
btw some of the depression pills aggravated my twitching.
so i have been through a few of them.
This thing is complicated.
thanks.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 11:36 am
by Xina535
Jayden wrote:btw some of the depression pills aggravated my twitching.

This is something many people on here have mentioned. The pills I was taking even said it could cause twitching. Side effects sometimes make NO SENSE!

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 11:56 am
by Yuliasir
btw some of the depression pills aggravated my twitching.


you'd be not surprised, my too. I was twitching on Rexetine about twice I was before it :) but after finishing the course I noted that my twithcig gradually goes down - and in three weeks after end of 6 month course I was practically significantly relieved. I still twotch every day here and there but just occasionally.

Re: How many EMGs are enough?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2014, 1:32 pm
by Jayden
Xina535 wrote:
Jayden wrote:btw some of the depression pills aggravated my twitching.

This is something many people on here have mentioned. The pills I was taking even said it could cause twitching. Side effects sometimes make NO SENSE!

Thanks for youre imput Xina aprecciated it.