Vitamin D Below 10

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Vitamin D Below 10

Postby Hi123 on August 30th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Is there anyone who had Vitamin D below 10. I was at 8 when this started almost 7.5 months ago. After Supplementation it has gone to 40 .Twitching has come down significantly but not sure if its the Vitamn D or if its the time factor. Just wanted to see if there's anyone who had bloodwork with D below 10.
Thanks
Hi123
Interested
Interested

Re: Vitamin D Below 10

Postby trustme78 on August 31st, 2014, 2:27 am

Hi
if you do a search on the forums for "Vitamin D" you will find several posts of people who had their blood tests done and it came out that their Vitamin D levels were low. I had my levels tested about a year ago and I had 25 nmol/l. I started supplementation and had my levels checked again this year at 75 nmol/l. The twitching started afterwards. Lots of people are deficient in Vit D - especially in the more northern regions. My work colleague tested at half of my initial levels and doesn't twitch. I think it's important to get tested - even if it doesn't cause the twitching it probably effects other (similar) areas of your life in a negative way if your levels are too low.

By the way - I was told to supplement Vitamin K as well to prevent calcium building up in my arteries due to the Vitamin D supplementation. Don't known the story behind that but I think I have seen this mentioned on here as well. Maybe something to look into or ask your GP.

Good luck!
Volkmar
trustme78

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2014, 6:38 am

My D2 was < 4. Oral D2 of 2000 IU daily. No impact on fascics.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Hi123 on August 31st, 2014, 7:51 am

trustme78 wrote:Hi
if you do a search on the forums for "Vitamin D" you will find several posts of people who had their blood tests done and it came out that their Vitamin D levels were low. I had my levels tested about a year ago and I had 25 nmol/l. I started supplementation and had my levels checked again this year at 75 nmol/l. The twitching started afterwards. Lots of people are deficient in Vit D - especially in the more northern regions. My work colleague tested at half of my initial levels and doesn't twitch. I think it's important to get tested - even if it doesn't cause the twitching it probably effects other (similar) areas of your life in a negative way if your levels are too low.

By the way - I was told to supplement Vitamin K as well to prevent calcium building up in my arteries due to the Vitamin D supplementation. Don't known the story behind that but I think I have seen this mentioned on here as well. Maybe something to look into or ask your GP.

Good luck!
Volkmar

Thanks for the info on Vitamin K will check it out.
Hi123
Interested
Interested

Postby Hi123 on August 31st, 2014, 7:52 am

misterjuanperalta wrote:My D2 was < 4. Oral D2 of 2000 IU daily. No impact on fascics.

Did you re-check your numbers. Also did your GP put you on high dose first like 50k week for a month ?
Hi123
Interested
Interested

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 31st, 2014, 9:14 am

I self-treated or Rx dosage. No Dr. Rx, as it was D2, plant based deficiency.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby RobJ on September 1st, 2014, 10:05 am

I've had low vitamin D for very long time. Been told by numerous neuro's that they've never heard of low vitamin D causing fascics....but then again, I've seen neuro's who saw my fascics and suggested spinal tap?
RobJ

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 1st, 2014, 10:13 am

RobJ wrote:I've had low vitamin D for very long time. Been told by numerous neuro's that they've never heard of low vitamin D causing fascics....but then again, I've seen neuro's who saw my fascics and suggested spinal tap?

I have instructed my doctors to not prescribe MRI's (except for brain) and/or Spinal taps and to simply focus on EMG's to measure progression or decline if any.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby Hi123 on September 1st, 2014, 9:10 pm

RobJ wrote:I've had low vitamin D for very long time. Been told by numerous neuro's that they've never heard of low vitamin D causing fascics....but then again, I've seen neuro's who saw my fascics and suggested spinal tap?

Maybe its a contributing factor in the overall cause.
Hi123
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS