Tongue twitches - Description

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue twitches - Description

Postby Pascal35 on August 28th, 2014, 7:14 am

Hi Guys,

As you probably know from my previous posts I'm suffering with this twitching and ALS fear for the last 9 months.
Several EMGs and medical reassurances cannot really beat my anxiety.
Anyway. I would like to describe to you the twitch I feel in my tongue over the last month and hear if you ever felt something similar.
I feel a tingling sensation in the middle (a bit right) side of my tongue with 1 or 2 twitches that mainly hit after I use my tongue.
After I put an effort on it or for example when I drink a liquid.
It twitches once or twice with a tingling sensation. Can be felt.
It happens several times a day but only once or twice.

Any ideas or opinions?
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Tongue twitches - Description

Postby elliottok on August 28th, 2014, 11:53 am

Several people on here have tongue twitches, including myself. It's nothing to worry about, although it is obnoxious. The reason most people on here worry so much about tongue twitches as opposed to other twitches is because of that stupid article that's somewhere online stating that tongue twitching is always a sign of ALS. If that's your fear, I can tell you it's completely false. Matt (bobajojo) has been having tongue twitching and general twitching every day for the last three years or so. He was seen at the Mayo clinic and when he told them about his tongue twitches they basically said "not a big deal - tongue is a muscle just like every other muscle in your body. Nothing especially concerning about getting twitches there. You have BFS." So, you can take comfort in the fact that you're not alone - there are many people on here who have tongue twitches and none of us have been diagnosed with anything besides BFS.
elliottok

Postby Andreas on August 31st, 2014, 1:47 pm

Hi,

the part with reputed tongue fasciculations is all behind me but I can say, that not even one Person in my family can hold their tongue absolutely still. It may flicker or twitches sometimes but these are NOT fasciculations!
This is absolutely normal muscle activity due to the tongue is a great muscle itself. And the fact that every tongue is made of two great muscles, one left and one right (simplified said), the muscles have to coexist in every Position you set your tongue. And due to this fact, the tongue may not even be total moveless. Yes there are persons who can make their tongue completely still but if you can´t it is not be a reason to worry about!

That is what my neuro said to my "fasciculations".

Andreas
Andreas

Postby Pascal35 on August 31st, 2014, 2:21 pm

Thanks elliottok... its true over the last few days my symptoms in the tongue have become better. I hardly felt anything to be honest. Lets hope it remains like that.

Andreas, i can hold my tongue absolutely still - I move it hard and then i hold it relaxed and absolutely still. At that moment i see and feel a few twitches in the middle side a bit on the right of tongue. Similar to the twitches we feel in the rest of our body.
It only happens 1-2 times and then stops. If i irritate again my tongue then it happens again. Anyway - i had tongue EMGs - i eat, talk, drink normally and also the last few days it stopped so lets hope that this was a false alarm
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby elliottok on August 31st, 2014, 6:10 pm

That's good. I don't get tongue twitches that I can feel every day, but definitely every few days or so. When I do get them it's a sensation that's impossible to ignore. Feels bizarre.
elliottok

Postby Andreas on September 1st, 2014, 1:26 am

Hi,

that is what I was meaning. I can hold my tongue also near completely still but after a few seconds a few twitches occour and than my tongue is nearly still for a while. That is again after I moved it. Even the same process.

But I have the problem with my face. It twitches in my eyes-lids, my lips an my cheeks. So I probably twitch more in this area as other ones on this board. But it don´t bother me because my neuro said this is mostly triggered by anxiety or tension.

Andreas
Andreas

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS