Recently diagnosed BFS

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Recently diagnosed BFS

Postby JMH1504 on August 18th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Hi, I have been diagnosed with BFS by a neurologist approximately 6 months ago. I have constant foot arch (now seems to be migrating to the outside of my feet) and calf twitching in both feet and legs. In the calves I get random "big" twitches along with pretty much anywhere else on my body (thighs, buttocks, arms, back, shoulders). I get tingling in my feet and toes. Internal buzzing/vibration feeling in my feet, pelvic area and now legs. Now getting random muscle pains/stiffness (mostly calves but also thighs, hamstrings and arms). Frequent twitching in eye lids. Widespread parathesias all over my body (including the feeling of having a "hair on your chin") which come and go all the time. Also getting a tightening feeling in my hamstring and calf muscles of my left leg on bending my head forward (not sure if this is BFS related or more to do with that I have degeneration of both cervical and lumbar discs in my back???).

Anyway, enough of the symptoms, I am having great difficulty learning to cope and living with this condition. It feels as though it is gradually getting worse and as a result I am having difficulty functioning at work, relaxing and sleeping.

I have a loving and supportive wife and 2 magnificent kids but this condition is greatly affecting the way I relate and spend time with them. My anxiety is out of control (I constantly think it must be something else going on). I am hesitant to exercise (previously very active and love my sport) for fear that it will make everything flare.

I would be extremely grateful for any tips/advice/reassurance on how to cope with this extremely annoying condition as it is impacting on the quality of my life and that of my family.
JMH1504

Re: Recently diagnosed BFS

Postby leaflea on August 20th, 2014, 12:13 am

You can look for anything you need to know on this site. The overall thing to work on is acceptance...that it is benign...but annoying, and may be here for good, get better, or wax and wane over time.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Tohapane66 on August 20th, 2014, 4:44 am

Hi JMH

I sent you a PM and email, not sure if either got through.

Our symptoms are very similar, and probably very similar to many others here.
Our circumstances are similar too. Family, sport, work and living in Aus.

Happy to chat with you in more detail.

Tom
Tohapane66

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS