Twitching - Autoimmune?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching - Autoimmune?

Postby Pascal35 on August 16th, 2014, 4:54 am

My stress over twitching is high again.
Its been 9 months with several EMGs and neuro exams.
Everyone calmed me down as there were no indications for ALS. I have been prescribed anti depressants which btw i never took.

Normally i felt very random twitches in different spots every day but have now realized that my left calf twitches constantly! Its quite shocking to look at it.
OK - Lets accept that twitching is not the result of ALS or doesn't lead to ALS...so where is this coming from?
There must be something wrong in the nervous system that brings it up.
Autoimmune disease maybe? I was reading about Neuromyotonia (Isaac Syndrome) but it states that this is very very rare.
Any ideas?
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Twitching - Autoimmune?

Postby Yuliasir on August 16th, 2014, 11:51 am

Pascal,
nobody knows (at least among the plain fellows) what is the reason for our twitching. It seems like it is hypersensitivity causing spontaneous and absolutely random twitching pattern. This hypersensitivity, in the abscence of proven hormonal changes (for example. thyroid hormones can cause twitching) may be on the local level(damaged muscular cells membranes), at the central level (foci of spontaneous motoric activity in the motor cortex, as some investigations may suggest) or rather by combination of local and central factors. The only thing we can say quite for sure is that our twitching is not related to lower motor neuron degradation (degradation of the neurons located in the anterior horns of the spinal brain). Such specific signs are never found in our case on EMG.

And please remember that twitching coud not lead to ALS. ALS does not result from twitching.

Practical experience for vast majority of twitchers is that with the level of stress decreased all the systems (including both CNS ans ANS, immune system and hormonal systems) come to a new equilibrium and twitching becomes only a background issue without any serious damage to the body.

So there is no matter to look what is the case - mostly it seems to be stress (viral, bacterial, social, chemical or combined) causing possibly multisystem disorder which needs only time and sometimes proper psychological treatement for real majority of cases. Most of fellows I had observed for 3 years here usually improve withing this period of time and later report either stable improvement or occasional relapses after quite significant period of stbility.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Pascal35 on August 16th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Thanks Yuliasir,

I find it very interesting after exploring all those months several forums (including the ALS one) that many people started twitching after a period of enormous stress.
For example myself... 10 months ago i was worried about MS because of 2 UBO's in the MRI (every doctor reassured me that there was nothing to worry about and the outcome was considered as "normal findings" - MRI was done because of headaches) i experienced great levels of stress and depression and then twitching started.
Googled, found about ALS which i never really heard before and my adventure started.
Twitching everywhere, feeling a different symptom every week (weakness), tongue twitching, fear of bulbar onset with speech issues, measuring all my muscles on a regular basis, several EMG's and soooo many Neuro visits. Madness.
Learned about everything that has to do with ALS symptoms, research, studies etc...
My wife and all my family are crazy with me.
I can't enjoy life anymore as i have a constant fear that a "real" symptom this time will appear.

So to get to the point i do believe that (toxic) stress is a major factor for the twitching. I hope is not for ALS too!!!
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS