Fascicullation vs fibrillation?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fascicullation vs fibrillation?

Postby Neville86 on July 15th, 2014, 10:29 am

Ok I just discovered this term fibrillation and its always malignant?? I don't know what that is is this what I have? Help me what is the difference? My tongue flickers sporadically omg Im melting down here just help me what do I do
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Fascicullation vs fibrillation?

Postby Neville86 on July 15th, 2014, 10:44 am

Please someone help me this si a nightmare
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Red Raider on July 15th, 2014, 11:04 am

You still talking, eating, drinking fine are you? Every bodies tongue twitches look up tongue twitching in the search and you will see a lot of people are the same. When you can't do those thing which it will be pretty obvious than be concerned like I mean you can't talk or eat. It sounds like you have a hot potato in your mouth.
Twitching, fibrillations and fasciculations you won't feel or see fibrillation so don't even worry about them ok you can pick them up on a EMG but besides that don't worry. Of course everybody says fibrillations are bad so good thing you can't see them or feel them.

Fasciculations haha everybody has those on here so calm your nerves easier said than done I know. You will be fine. Your not weak, you can still do everything you have always done right? If you can't don't fret just get it checked out it could be a million things.

Houston
Red Raider

Postby J4son on July 15th, 2014, 11:09 am

Neville,

Fibrilations cannot be seen or felt. they are picked up through an EMG. And no it is not always malignant. Plz if you are worry go and see a neurologist (in case you didn’t see one yet). But for me it’s obvious that your main problem here is a hell of health anxiety.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 15th, 2014, 11:10 am

This has been discussed here on a few occassions. Simply search.

Or to make it short - fibrillations cannot be felt and are invisible to the naked eye. Period.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 15th, 2014, 11:19 am

Thank you Red Raider.

Right, this twitch has been going on for 7 days now (I'm in day 7 as we speak). Here are the characteristics of the twitch, some of these things freak me out so any reassurance would be greatly appreciated:

--Localized; left side of tongue, small area
--Stops and starts; twitches, flutters sporadically when I stick my tongue out for a few seconds and then stops and becomes a bit more rhythmic and "weaker" and then stops completely
--Dependent on position; from what I can see it does not move inside my mouth, I have seen it flutter when resting it on my lower lip and when I stick my tongue out halfway, when tongue is resting behind teeth and fully extended you cannot see it at all
--Cannot feel it; Although I do occasionally feel a sort of buzzing in my tongue I don't think the two are related
--No weakness; I am still talking, eating, swallowing, although anxiety is making these things worse/harder
--It's been going on 7 days and is most "violent" during the day, twitch seems weaker in morning and night
--Finally, not rhythmic, which is scary to me for whatever reasons, it's like a sporadic tap tap tap and then a pause and then tap tap tap pity tap tap, pause tap tap tap etc etc always random in its flickering, flickering really is the best way to describe it, like a lightbulb losing it's power

Anyway, I'm new to this (but not to health anxiety) and on the verge of a complete meltdown (my last meltdown was 3 years ago in regards to narrow stool and an obsession with colon cancer). I have not gone to the doctor about this yet.

I should also mention, two things: 1) my health anxiety started ten years ago (17) with a twitch in my temple that wouldn't go away (that I still get occasionally). I've had twitches in my arms, calves, thighs, hands, etc over the years, this current twitch was preceded by a two week random middle finger twitch, and since noticing my thumb I have had hour long twitches on thigh and temple 2) At first I thought this tongue twitch was muscle fatigue as I was wrenching my tongue back and forth in front of a mirror for a couple hours for fear of atrophy (left side of tongue has dent and when resting in mouth more of my teeth are exposed on that side) and then the twitching started and it hasn't stopped. Help me please.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 15th, 2014, 11:20 am

Thank you both for your replies. Yes TwitchDoc but you mentioned in a post that fib could be seen in the tongue only, correct?
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Red Raider on July 16th, 2014, 1:03 am

Hey it sounds like you have anxiety to the extremes. I to have the same issue but have been dealing with it through the doctor which I think you should see one if you can't control because if you don't get a handle on this it really can ruin your life my friend. Go see your GP talk to them about seeing a Neuro and possibly seeing a physicrastrist just because you see the word physicrastrist doesn't mean your crazy there are a lot of people on here that see them including me. My experience he has helped me tremendously with my anxiety if it was not for him I would be in a ditch somewhere scared to death something is going yo get me haha like a nasty disease or cancer or ALS. I take klonopin and lexapro both low doses and it helps me control my fears but everybody is different. Maybe you don't like meds and there are ways to go about it that way too but it just takes longer. Quit worrying about the twitching anxiety is making it worse and quit testing yourself that is the worst thing you can do. Make an appt with your GP and talk to them put together and come up with a plan it will make you feel better trust me. When you see your doctors trust them as well they are the professionals a lot of people have a hard time believing them and see doctors after doctors don't be that person ok see your doc and have faith. Praying helps me, The Lord is great and can help in many ways by just talking to him ok please PM me or hit me back if you get bad and need someone to talk to. I've been through it all I would tell you but I don't think there is enough room on this board haha take care and God Bless.

Houston
Red Raider

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 16th, 2014, 2:40 am

Yes, in theory, the fibrillations can be observed on the tongue but do not attempt to assess them - it is not simple. Fibrillations always appear in denervation and hence you would have most likely at least some issues with talking and swallowing. If you do not, forget it.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS