Please help--tongue fasciculations

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Please help--tongue fasciculations

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Twitchy doc:

What does it mean? Could you elaborate? They are nonstop. I'm panicking what should I do
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Nearly everything I read (even the websites that tend to scare me--webmd etc) say tongue must be resting floor of mouth because tongues will fasciulate when extended. When resting my does not do this, when slightly extended it won't stop. Please help me what is going on
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 14th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Wait, if your tongue does not do this when it is resting, than it is not fasciculation. This does look one but if you say it is still when resting, then it is not.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Thanks TwitchDoc. Guess I'm confused; I saw your video and you were resting on your teeth and lip which is technically not resting correct?
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 15th, 2014, 1:55 am

In my video, the tongue is resting as there is no muscle strain (not everybody can do that) - you can see that as there are no movements except for the fasciculations that appear briefly as rapid flickers.

In your case, it is probably normal fasciculatory movement of muscle bundles that are being contracted in order to maintain the tongue in the position. If there is really no twitching when it is in your mouth resting, then these are not fasciuclations.

I started to wonder how many of us here have really tongue fasciculations...so far I remember just me, Matt and TwitcherHH..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 21st, 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm having a hard time with this...When I wake up in the morning and look, I don't see anything moving. Sure enough, I keep checking and the same spot keeps flickering. It's driving me crazy. Seriously, does anyone have any wise words or reassurance or I don't know...ugh this is hell.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby J4son on July 21st, 2014, 3:19 pm

Neville86 wrote:I'm having a hard time with this...When I wake up in the morning and look, I don't see anything moving. Sure enough, I keep checking and the same spot keeps flickering. It's driving me crazy. Seriously, does anyone have any wise words or reassurance or I don't know...ugh this is hell.

sure, make a promise to yourself not to check your tongue for one week or ten days. Take it as a challenge. No self-checking for one week. In one week see if you feel better or not. I'll bet you will. your tongue is not your problem here, your behaviors are; time to break that viscious circle don't you think so?
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 21st, 2014, 4:01 pm

Neville86 wrote:ISeriously, does anyone have any wise words or reassurance or I don't know...ugh this is hell.

I told you a few times that you do not have tongue fasciculations if there is no movement when the tongue is resting on the floor of the mouth. But you will not listen..

I admit that in your video, it does look like fasciculations but if it stops when the tongue is resting...that just does not happen with fasciculations. Are you sure it stops?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 21st, 2014, 8:29 pm

Thank you for your replies. I guess that's just it: I have no clue what I'm looking at. Before Googling, I would have assumed the tongue is like the eye or the calf and when overworked can twitch. But now, here I am, down this *beep* rabbit hole. When I open my mouth in the morning and rest my tongue on my bottom lip I see nothing. If I stick my tongue out a ways and get my jaw to crack and return tongue to same position it does what it's doing in the video. If I rest my tongue on the floor of my mouth I don't see fascics (although it should be noted that this area is hard to see behind the teeth). The rest of the day I can make my tongue fascic by usually sticking it out all the way or halfway; if this doesn't do the trick, I press down on it with my top lip and it dances like crazy.

I've seen this very thing on my sis and gfs tongues although much more infrequent. My initial hypothesis was that I "irritated" it with self checking the two days prior and haven't given it a chance to recover, but from what I've read here and elsewhere that's really not a "thing."

Funny I've developed some sort of food borne illness in the last 6 hours which has been a nonstop back and forth to the toilet and I still check my tongue.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 21st, 2014, 9:11 pm

I should also mention that I'm not new to BFS. I was in close contact with someone from here four years ago about calf twitches. I have twitches all over my body besides the tongue AT LEAST twice day: mostly hands, biceps, thighs, right temple.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on July 22nd, 2014, 6:39 am

I think you're missing the point Neville. Even if your tongue was twitching, it doesn't matter. I get them every day and way more than twice a day, lots of us do. My neuros are unconcerned about it twitching. I couldn't tell if you meant that your tongue twitches twice a day or the rest of your body but either way, in my opinion, that is in the normal range. I bet people without BFS get two tongue twitches a day and just have no idea. I'm certain they get more than two elsewhere. Just relax, its all part of this maddening syndrome.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 22nd, 2014, 7:48 am

Sorry, I should clarify: my tongue twitches all the time. The rest if my body twitches
Twice a day.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 22nd, 2014, 7:50 am

You can try whether your tongue is hyperexcitable (it works for most of the muslces but especially the tongue): hit its edge with your finger when it is resting halfway out (it should be relaxed as flexing would decrease the impact). The hit should be quite fast (just a flick) and slightly painful (you hit it against the teeth). Hyperexcitable tongue will exhibit fasciculations after the hit.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 22nd, 2014, 7:56 am

And what would hyper excitable mean?
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on July 22nd, 2014, 7:58 am

Just that your nerves are hyperexcited, nothing sinister. I can do what Docen is describing and so can many other BFSers. In fact, if I remember correctly, even his wife can do it and she doesn't have BFS.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Questions About BFS