Please help--tongue fasciculations

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Please help--tongue fasciculations

Postby Neville86 on July 12th, 2014, 11:20 am

Hey all--

I have health anxiety and the other day during one of my episodes I was sticking my tongue hard to the left and then hard to the right in the mirror because I noticed a small dent on the left side of my tongue. Anyway, two days ago, my tongue hurts because of the checking behavior from the day before, and I look at it in the mirror and notice that there's this one spot that won't stop flickering--denting in and out. Since then I've been in a constant nightmare. I keep imagining my tongue goes to the left (the end of it kind of does) and the flickering won't stop. It doesn't flicker when at rest in my mouth, nor when completely extended but when halfway extended this one spot won't stop fasciculating. And it's a fasciculation. Someone (Matt?) posted a video of his tongue doing it and mine does that almost nonstop. What do Ido? I'm losing my mind.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Please help--tongue fasciculations

Postby MarioMangler on July 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

What do you do? You stop overextending and abusing and injuring your tongue. When you do stuff like that now you are becoming the problem, it's not the BFS or the twitching anymore.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 12th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Thank you, I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance here :/
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on July 12th, 2014, 7:42 pm

That is reassurance. All you have is a tongue that you injured. If you stop stretching out your tongue and hurting it and doing all the silly self testing, you won't have as many tongue twitches. And this goes for anyone new to BFS who is still doing all the self testing and the constant body examinations. Eventually you will figure out that a lot of the major BFS symptoms are stuff you are doing to yourself.

I could say it in a nicer way, like "all twitches are benign unless you have muscles that are dying and becoming paralyzed", and "a tongue is a muscle just like everything else, and a tongue twitch means nothing" but no one ever listens to that because it is boring. So I say it the other way because you will remember it better. Stop doing all the silly tongue testing and give your poor tongue a break and a chance to recover.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on July 12th, 2014, 8:07 pm

My tongue twitches fairly often these days. I have bouts of it where my tongue will twitch some for a few weeks or a month and then goes away. I would try not to stress over it too bad, I know that is a lot harder to do than it is to say. I am in the midst of a relapse/breakdown myself with anxiety and BFS these days, we just have to work on not letting fear take our mind, the more afraid we are the worse our symptoms.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 13th, 2014, 1:58 pm

EDIT:
If that spot does not flicker when the tongue is at rest, why on Earth are you posting that you have tongue fasciculations? I personally repeated in many, many threads that fasciculations ONLY are readily recognized on the resting tongue. Anything else is normal movement of tongue fascicles - bundles. There are a several muscles in the tongue and keeping it strained of course causes contractions of individual bundles which resemble fasciculatiosn - god it is the reason why tongue must be rested when we look for fasciculations! How many times do I have to write it..

From my experience on this site (and with a few people who sent me videos of their tongue for assessment) - most of the people claiming they have tongue fasciculations have entirely normal tongue movements, as I witnessed again today when viewing a video of one female member here... Which makes me a bit nervous as my tongue has had true fasciculations.

Fasciculations on the tongue are not slower quivering or moving parts of the tongue..they are very localized, very fast contractions that might occur a several times on the same place or strike randomly over the surface. But the key is - they are faster and smaller than normal tongue movements.

This is how they look like in the mild form (i.e. not the bag of worms appearance):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYkMPF3CTo

You can clearly see they are very small, fast and somehow predictable.

Basically the only reliable way (subjectively) is when you feel the one which is occuring repeatedly on a same spot and you can see it - normal tongue movements does not feel like twitching.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on July 13th, 2014, 7:18 pm

I feel the "twitches" in my tongue when my mouth is closed and the tongue is at rest. It will feel like a small quick little jerk, typically around the edges. I have them in spells, they will occur from time to time for a few weeks to couple of months and then disappear for a good while.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 10:58 am

Twitchy doc--mine look like the video except they are much more rapid, and localized. They only seem to happen when my tongue is "resting" on my lower lip halfway out. You posted a vid of your fasciculations and your tongue was extended wasn't it? I guess I'm confused. Anyway, when in this exact spot my tongue flickers like mad although it' seems to be getting better. I have a video from a few days ago maybe I will try an post it.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 11:06 am

This video freaks me out because mine are way worse. I see them when my tongue is extended halfway and resting on my lower lip. They are in the same spot every time (only in the same spot) very quick and very rapid.

But you have fascics? And you are ok I presume?
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 11:56 am

Heres a video from a few days ago when it all started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ix2ERL ... e=youtu.be
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 12:14 pm

And maybe someone has an answer to this: fascics are induced when tongue is halfway out of mouth and when upper lip touches tongue. When I life the upper lip the near constant twitches seem to peter out. Any ideas?
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on July 14th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I've had that twitch a zillion times (the one in the video) along with lots of other different looking tongue twitches. I've even had that going on in more than one spot on my tongue at the same time. Its nothing. My neuro was unimpressed. Most of the time when I've caught my tongue twitching in the mirror, I've also had it resting on my lower lip. Yes, its still a twitch and yes, its part of BFS.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 14th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Thanks Matt. My question is, is this at rest? From what I read most neuros have you rest it on the floor of your mouth anterior to your bottom row of teeth. The lower lip is perhaps still a bit of strain. It's weird; it's as if I'm causing a nerve to go crazy or something.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on July 14th, 2014, 12:53 pm

It doesn't matter if I have it completely at rest in my mouth or resting on my bottom lip. Its still twitching. Because by looking at your video, that is a tongue twitch and not the normal tongue quivers that some people mistake for a twitch. No biggie, lots of us have them.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 14th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Yes, these are fasciculations - either spontanneous or could be increased idiomuscular irritability (that produces the same results).

Thanks for sharing
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS