Tongue twitch at rest!?!

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Tongue twitch at rest!?!

Postby J4son on July 15th, 2014, 5:27 am

Sadface wrote:Some wise words.
I agree and I know not to do it, but I end up doing it anyway.
I think I need to force myself to stop!

I'm trying to make use of some CBT tools:
1) if had had als, would staring at my tongue cure it? No!
2) does staring at my tongue give me reassurance? No
Answer being: don't do it then!

Easier said though!x

Yes Sadface, CBT techniques can be very helpful; at least they were for me. After all, most of the things we do can be analyzed through either the cognitive or the behavioral mechanism.

- For example the urged of continuously checking the tongue can be viewed through the cognitive prism. A conscious or unconscious thought usually precedes the checking. Something like: “I need to check my tongue to make sure it does not fasciculate.” But this is a mere thought that can be consciously challenged and replaced by something else like: “I do not have to check my tongue right now, no one is forcing me to do it, there are no gun pointed over my head to force me do it. I know by experience that checking my tongue is not going to ease my anxiety, and I can decide to choose another behavior to do in place of checking my tongue.”

- It can also be viewed through the behavioral theory. By acknowledging that tongue checking is just a behavioral response to specific emotions like fear and anxiety. It's just one of many possible behaviors to deal with anxiety. So consciously we can chose to implement another behavior, for example: getting out of the house for a walk, playing a video game, calling friends or anything else.

This whole BFS thingy is in my opinion an anxiety problem. I don’t mean the twitching are due to anxiety, I mean the suffering is due to anxiety and not to the twitching. 15 years ago and like all good hypochondriacs I used to visit a cancer forum. On that board I didn’t really see any anxiety. I saw people talking about new treatments, coping strategies, course of the disease, chemotherapy etc. Here, on the other hand the main and major focus is over one single thing: the fear of having ALS. In fact the only difference between this board and a health anxiety board or a hypochondriasis board, is that in those boards people are freaked out by a variety of diseases including neurological diseases, while here it is mainly focused on a single thing: the fear of ALS.

So stop checking your tongue. Either go see your doctor, or forget about the whole tongue issue. When you will have a real problem you will know it for sure.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 15th, 2014, 5:37 am

Sadface definitely does not have tongue fasciculations, I have seen 3 or 4 videos. Nothing else than a tremor / normal tongue quivering.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Sadface on July 15th, 2014, 5:06 pm

J4son: wise words and I will re-read that post at times of temptation!
I agrees about the site and the fear of als. But for many it provides the required reassurance to get on with life.
I feel I've gone from a health anxiety site discussing variety if issues; to now obsession with my als fears!

I thank twitchy doc for support. The bad thing is, my mind needs to think more rational and at present it's not at it's best!
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on July 16th, 2014, 2:44 am

Ps
The doctor at A&E said they could see tongue fas's/twitches. This freaked me initially, but then she didn't feel the need to refer me to anyone!!?
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Questions About BFS