Opinion on a Second Opinion?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Opinion on a Second Opinion?

Postby RecentTwitcher** on July 1st, 2014, 2:51 pm

Hello there,

I am a relatively recent twitcher and have taken some solace in reading a bunch of posts on this forum. I just wanted advice on my situation. A quick timeline:

End of April into Mid-May: Noticed a relatively strong twitch in my left forearm while watching TV one night. I showed it to my wife, and we were both surprised when the arm was still twitching away the next morning. This twitch stopped by the middle of the day, but in the following days it was replaced by an increasing number of clip, popcorn-like twitches in my upper left arm, then in my back, then in my right arm, and then down into both thighs. At this point, I didn't twitch at all in my calves or eyelids, but it was increasingly bothersome and anxiety producing in my upper body and upper legs. I made an appt with the neuro, had a clean exam and was scheduled for an EMG. The EMG was done on May 22 (in three limbs) and came back "totally clean".

Mid-May until now: While I had been highly anxious about the twitching (almost debilitatingly so) I figured that my clean EMG would relax my twitches. On the contrary, in the following weeks, the twitches continued and changed in their nature (more of a 3-5 second twitch pattern than a 'clip' pattern, though the latter still existed.) In the past few weeks, I have noticed that one calf is silently twitching 24/7- meaning, I can't feel it (or very rarely so) but can see it popping around my leg like little lightning bolts, from my ankle to my knee. It seems to be exacerbated by exercise, and the evening after I take a run brings a summer thunderstorm to my calf (still can't feel them though). This has bothered me a bit, but I've tried to forget about it. Unfortunately, it is continuing and 90% of my twitching seems to be occurring in the one calf. Yesterday, I felt like I had a little eye twitch on and off, which I took as a reassuring sign.

My question is- does this sound like BFS? I'm not crushingly concerned about MND, but it's hard to shake the thought, even with the clean exam and clean EMG. Could I have had the EMG too early? Can BFS settle mostly into one limb? I'm thinking of going in for a second opinion, but know that the mental part of this is no small hurdle to overcome. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

RT
RecentTwitcher**

Re: Opinion on a Second Opinion?

Postby physerv24 on July 1st, 2014, 3:14 pm

If you do an advanced search on this forum for "hotspots" you will see it is not at all uncommon for twitching to "set up house" in one particular area. Take a look at some of Bobajojo's posts. Myself, I've had twitching in my left bicep and tricep constant for 9 weeks now. I also have twitching in my abdomen, shoulders, forearms, calves, etc. on a daily basis but my biceps and triceps are my hotspots.

What you are experiencing is certainly not unlike what the many, many, many other posters to this forum experience.

Take care,

Vince
physerv24

Postby RecentTwitcher** on July 3rd, 2014, 9:53 am

Thanks so much for the reply, Vince. I also twitch in my arms, hands, stomach, back, neck and face- though only a few times a day. The twitches have definitely set up shop in the calf, and I'm starting to get used to it. Clean exam, clean emg, and no feelings of weakness are my fallbacks when I get anxious (which isn't infrequent!)

Thanks again.

RT
RecentTwitcher**

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS