pain in wrist and fingers

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

pain in wrist and fingers

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 30th, 2014, 10:21 am

Hi guys, my pain in my left wrist and my pinkie and ring finger get worsen. Anyone else? Thank you for your comments.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: pain in wrist and fingers

Postby Yuliasir on May 30th, 2014, 10:44 am

Elke,
go and see surgeon. Compression syndrome may have serious complications. it has to be treated (most probably by NSAIDs and physiotherapy). it took about a 6 month to my sister in law to get rid of it and her 2 fingers were pretty paralysed (recovered later 100 %)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 30th, 2014, 10:50 am

omg...is it so dangerous :( ?? Can I wait until after weekend? Is it also typical for the bad three letters? Thanks
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on May 30th, 2014, 11:03 am

yes sure you can wait :) but the sooner you would be diagnosed and treated, the better is prognosis.

nope it is not realted to ALS. it is a very typical symptome of mechanical compression trauma in your elbow or wrist (can not remember which fingers are related to which location and nerve branch). usually compression of one nerve branch causes pain, atrophy and even a paresis in pinky and ring and sometimes in middle finger, and another branch compression causes pain, atrophy and paresis in thumb, index finger and partly in the middle finger.

atrophy and paresis are of course symptomes of severe late stages of compression trauma and even milkers who had it quite pronounced, needed years to get paresis, and usually only stiffness is common.
But why the hell you need to live in pain while it is quite possible to get proper meds and physio (massage, UHF radiovave for internal heating I think, etc.) and just forget about it???

I remember my sister-in-law was really crying becasue pain was bloody strong...she tried to ignore it for weeks and finally had to give up.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 30th, 2014, 11:42 am

Dear Yulia, thanks and yes, of course you are right. I will visit a surgeon next week. And than I will try physiotherapie. It will be probably the ulnaris nerve, jw ;-) supposed it. Maybe it is a result of sitting in front of the computer and selftesting... I hope so.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on May 30th, 2014, 11:53 am

my sis in law was a plain bank clerk - not a carpenter, tennis player or milker:) she just grew older (over 50), had some changes in the body and therefore become more succeptible to compression trauma.

so it is quite possible nowadays to get ulnar or cubital compression without strenous physical job - just by typing.

for me (I have mildest case) even a wrist bandage helpes. maybe all your treatment would be confined to that too but it is better to see a surgeon and evaluate degree of trauma.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby DaveCH on May 30th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Yuliasir I think this May be what I have. Can this be diagnosed and treated with a good physiotherapist or do you need a nerve test emg etc
DaveCH

Postby Yuliasir on May 30th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Dave,
in fact, it depends on doctor and severity of issue. Carpal abnd cubital syndrom has very clear clinical picture involving pain in the elbow, wrist and fingers, but EMG still may be useful to exclude upper motor neuron damage (which is common for ALS) and confirm local nature of damage. That is why EMG is usually done, as far as I understand the method.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby DaveCH on May 31st, 2014, 2:14 am

So do you mean that a emg is needed because these symptoms could be als I have the pains bilateral however I can still do my weights etc and when I'm warmed up doing exercise the pain improves
DaveCH

Postby DaveCH on May 31st, 2014, 2:28 am

I may add I don't have any weakness such as your sister in law
DaveCH

Postby Yuliasir on May 31st, 2014, 5:48 am

Dave, anyway I am not a doctor and do not see you in person. if the pain is hard, or increased, or wahtever, better talk to doctor. it is still possible that your weights puching causes you some compression or you have chronic muscular damage becasue of wrist loading during weight lifting... have no idea really. Ask doctor if you have any doubts.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tohapane66 on June 1st, 2014, 12:20 am

Hi nrw

Seems we get similar symptoms. My toes are still moving, but less so.
On your pain in left wrist and some fingers, I often get. Especially from typing and after swimming. I don't get in my right hand even though I am right handed.
I'm not so worried about the pain as it comes and go. I would much rather have the pain than constant toe movement :o
You could just monitor for awhile to see if it comes and goes, or if you feel it is getting worse.
I'm sure you will be fine. You should definitely not be worried about ***... as so many of people on this site have pointed out, if you feel pain (or feel anything else for that matter) you can be rest assured.
Tom
Tohapane66

Postby German2 on June 1st, 2014, 3:03 am

Yuliasir wrote:Dave,
in fact, it depends on doctor and severity of issue. Carpal abnd cubital syndrom has very clear clinical picture involving pain in the elbow, wrist and fingers, but EMG still may be useful to exclude upper motor neuron damage (which is common for ALS) and confirm local nature of damage. That is why EMG is usually done, as far as I understand the method.

Dear Yulisair, I also have that pain in my left ellbow, s.t. pain in wrist, thumbness in my pinkie and ringfinger every morning, muscle decline on my backside of hand...Nerve conduction speed was normal and so local compression was ruled out. You said this signs could also be related to MND...Now I am clueless what could it be...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 1st, 2014, 4:00 am

Dave, I did not said that pain is a symptom of MND :))) as far as I understand from personal stories, ALS victims complain for pains only in case when first central brain (upper) motoneurons die, as this causes spastic paralysis, but believe me, plus to the strong pain they really have PARALYSIS, which is not your case definitely. Degradation of lower motor neurons (spinal) causes painless weak paralysis (paresis).

combination of pain and paresis is rather common for compression trauma becasue pain comes from inflammation and paresis from the local denervation due to nerve damage.

From the logical point of view, pain in the elbow, tingling and pain in the fingers innervated by ulnar nerve indicate that compression exists. maybe its degree is lower that for typical compression syndrome or maybe we are more sensitive to pain. Normal nerve conduction also means there is no denervation, so MND is also not so much probable. There are two possibilities which I can see: either you have 'phantom' syndromes due to hypersensitivity, or you need to repeat conduction test/emg.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on June 1st, 2014, 4:22 am

Dear Yulisair,

thank you for your promt answer. It was me - writing this, getting more and more symptoms. Among others: pain in my left ellbow, but no weakness yet. Fortunately!
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS