Muscle cramping and twitching

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle cramping and twitching

Postby Nitnat on May 23rd, 2014, 12:03 pm

This is my first time posting, but I have been reading this site for the past 5 months. On Christmas day I noticed a tremble in my mouth. I thought it odd, but tried not to stress about it. Then that night my calves started twitching. All the time, in both my calves. This hasn't let up since then. I am also unable to point my toe and engage my calf muscle in that direction without it cramping up every single time. The twitches bothered me, but now coupled with the cramps ,I am more concerned. This part is hard to explain but when I flex my feet or toes, they don't go back to their relaxed state immediately. Its like the muscle is working slower? I did have an MRI and an EMG. These were performed 8 weeks after the initial onset of symptoms. Both came back clean which I thought would have put my concerns to rest. I guess my question is, can an MRI and EMG be done TOO SOON? Should I have a follow up or 2nd EMG done? Now that I am typing this out, I sound absolutely ridiculous. But the fact remains all of this is happening and I would love some reassurance. I do not have any other twitches throughout my body except for below my knees, (feet and calves). Thank you for any input
Nitnat

Re: Muscle cramping and twitching

Postby German2 on May 23rd, 2014, 2:56 pm

Dear Nitnat,

I was testet with an EMG also a few weeks after fasciculations have started. Now I have fascilulations and other odd symptoms (even muscle decline but no explicit atrophy yet) since 10 month. No neuro did me an EMG again, because they think one (very extended) EMG would be enough. That should mean that it would have shown anything serious even in the beginning. A good experienced MND neuro would just do a clinical to rule out MND, that is my experience.

(I am personally still in diagnostics, have an hashimoto which also causes twitches and they discuss actually borrelliose or another second autoimmune desease againgst nerve system. I do certain blood testing waiting on the outcome, so maybe I am not the typical BFS type. But what EMG is concerened it is the same...).
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Nitnat on May 23rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

Thank you for replying. My EMG was done only on my legs but that is where everything is stemming from. Happy to hear yours was good a well. Hope all the blood work comes back fine. :)
Nitnat

Postby Yuliasir on May 23rd, 2014, 11:20 pm

Nitnat,
I have that for years - I mean leg cramps and reluctant toes. Probably it is due to extra low vitamin B (never tested myself for that but many fellows have that) or due to bad circulation in the legs (which i definitely have).
It does not mean your muscles work slower. They just do not have enough nutrition with the blood.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on May 24th, 2014, 6:37 am

I have also cramps and twitching in feet and calves for months...All of my neuros ( I have visited more than one) told me that one EMG is enough. You do not need an emg for every muscle. Two muscles are the international standard and two are enough. But I understand your fears... I am not the same woman since all my twitches, cramps began.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS