Do You See ALS Everywhere???

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Do You See ALS Everywhere???

Postby MommyRissa on May 15th, 2014, 11:43 pm

I swear this is the most annoying thing BFS started. I see something about *** everywhere all of the time. Just the word 'also' irritates me. The other day I was scrolling through my amazon prime suggestions and, somehow, I ended up with about ten different suggestions for books about people who have had or taken care of someone with the disease. I will see little things while browsing the web constantly. For instance, I was reading reviews for a show on IMDb, paused to do something else, went back and the first thing I saw was this username: Oceanofse als. Spelled just like that, with the space and all. I see people with leg braces and wheelchairs where ever I go. My automatic thought is that the universe is sending me signs. It's like it just won't go away and is especially bad when my anxiety is high. I hate it. Am I the only one with this?
MommyRissa

Re: Do You See ALS Everywhere???

Postby Yuliasir on May 16th, 2014, 12:37 am

ha!
do you search ALS sites? Is anyway ALS frequent in your search queries? then Amazon knows about this and consider you are interested in this subject.
all the rest is a cognitive bias.

in your community people with leg braces and in the wheelcahir are common. Go spend your vacation in Russia - you would not se any of them (becasue of non-friendly city environment wheelchair people are mostly bonded to their apartment).

well, for the last week ALS was mentioned twice in my environment - I read the article about bitcoin inventor who has ALS and a character in the movie I was listening to (I work and can not see the movies but listen to them) had a wife with ALS. I pay no attention to it, really, not more than if they were lepers.

The universe really sends you a sign - that your anxiety level is high. take that appropriately.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby MommyRissa on May 16th, 2014, 3:01 am

Yuli you always have the best advice! I was not aware that amazon was able to stalk my internet activity. I went through a phase not too long ago where I read everything on it that I could just to educate myself, so now that makes perfect sense. It's incredibly creepy, but logical. I will try to adjust that setting if possible lol. People with wheelchairs and braces and ventilators should not bother me. They never have before. Part of my old job involved washing wheelchairs for my patients at night while they slept, assisting them in and out of them, and helping them with all manner of braces and assistive devices. The username on the website, I don't know what that was, but I know that if I wasn't obsessive over als that it would mean absolutely nothing to me. :oops: I just hate that it takes over my mind and creeps into my everyday life. I've always been a believer in signs, even though they have never worked out for me, or been even remotely accurate. Just need to reign myself in, even if it means looking like a fool.
MommyRissa

Postby Yuliasir on May 16th, 2014, 3:59 am

yee our internet activity is monitored - Google knows everything ans shares this knowledge with other major trade systems :) Once I was buying a CAT (translation tool) from Hungarian company, and after that I was receiving Google advertizing in Magyar language for about a week. I put them through googlr translator as I do not speak Hungarian, and found mostly they were proposals to by concrete, pumps etc. :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on May 16th, 2014, 4:44 am

Yes, that is very true about the internet. Especially since you googled all there is to google about ALS, you will have those suggestions come up.

But I do understand what you mean about seeing wheelchairs, and other signs, and feeling the universe is telling me things. Examples:

In Hamburg, there was a car parked along a road we were walking and it was a company car: website for ALS support

Any time I see a wheelchair, it seems that person has ALS (with like head support or tubes) and I want to run away, all the while, feeling so incredibly heartbroken for the person.

A colleague told me recently she had to go to a funeral for her cousin. I did not ask her anything, I just wished her my sympathy and she replied with, "Thanks, he battled ALS for 5 years..."

So Yuliasir gave good advice one in one of my related posts: Think, "That is their life. I am not he/she."
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on May 16th, 2014, 6:36 am

I made similar experiences. And I am also a sign believer. In hospitel a woman handed over a book to me with the words "this might be s.th. good for you in your situation". :oops:
It was about a person who died from ALS, writing his story...As I read that it is about a person close to death..I immediately knew...yes. He must have died from ALS, turned the page...and yes.
From that time on I tried not to much to believe in those signs. And this was forcing me very much...
Thank god I did not google that desease very often, because I am too afraid about the findings. And I know about those tracings of key words...and even tons of spam mails afterwards, connected to the keywords. I once even changed my email provider...useless...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on May 16th, 2014, 8:24 am

Keep in mind MAY is ALS awareness month!! So, that might explain its increased appearance on computers - I often see someone posting in FB, but I never search those kinds of forums any more. In addition (didn't use word ***o), computer algorythms really do track everything...I was looking at compression socks on ebay...now I get compression socks ads on so many pages I visit. If I search juicing recipes, I suddenly get advertising for juicers. If I tell myself I don't want to see any red cars today, you bet I will notice every single one. Our attention has been directed now to this kind of thing so we notice things we never did before. Several high profile people with lots of money have the disease so that is bringing awareness/attention/money for research and hopefully a CURE. That is a wonderful thing.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on May 16th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Agree, praying and hoping every single day for a cure!!!!!! So many beautiful people need to be helped and saved!!!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS