EMG Results - Please Read

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG Results - Please Read

Postby MommyRissa on April 7th, 2014, 12:34 am

Alright, lately I've been feeling like I need another EMG. I have the results of my first one, which I will post here, and can someone who reads these things and knows about them please give me their opinion. I know there are some docs on here, I'm hoping for one of you. My right arm/shoulder pain and twitching has come to a point that I can no longer tolerate it. The pain meds and muscle relaxers, including diazepam and baclofen, are doing nothing for the spasms in my neck and shoulder. I cannot live like this anymore. I just can't. I have had eight major cranial and spinal surgeries over the past year for Chiari Malformation, and I have addressed my concerns with my neurosurgeons only to get vague answers and shrug offs, even after they have noted what looks like atrophy on the right side of my neck. I don't have an email address for a neuro expert, if I did I would be sending these images to them for help, and I can't find any way to locate an email address. Recently, I've traveled to the bad forums and found no comfort, only more reasons to be freaked out. I know some old timers who know me through the BFS forums and FB groups will want to slap my hand for this, but I can't help it. So please, just take a moment and look. Image
MommyRissa

Re: EMG Results - Please Read

Postby Yuliasir on April 7th, 2014, 2:14 am

Dear MommyRissa,

well, I am NOT a doctor, but conclusion reads really nothing awful but 'early compression neuropathy" which s definitely not MND but local damage.
having EIGHT neurosurgeries within one year, including spinal, might cause such type of damage. Pain is also strongly supportive for compression damage. Location of the damage also corresponds to operation on the neck part of the spine.
This means that some nerves in your neck (innervating your arm) are trapped either in the disks moved due to surgery, or in the postop scars. Unfortunately such complications are not unique and may be seen after neurosurgery operations.

bad news about such issues is that it is extremely hard to spot (I mean, hard to identify where exactly your nerves are damaged/pinched). Good news are that you may address to any pain treatment center if you have them in your nearest surrounding, and those people usually know what to do in case on traumatic neural pains.

Wait what more medically educated fellows can suggest, but as for me your papers definitely suggest that you need treatment for persistent post-operational neurogenic pain. it inculdes usually pain survey, proper dosage and type of painkillers (long term course), physiotherapy and special excersises. Atrophy is a common result of compression damage, but in your case it might be reversible with the course of physiotherapy and excersises.

A friend of mine had something similar in her leg due to severe diskopathy and 2 surgeries and a splint incerted. So I understand a bit what you may feel.
as for neuro expert addresses, you may found this on the sites of major neurological clinics in your surrounding, which are available via google search. Most of them offer online consultancy, as far as I know.

hope this would help a bit
hugs
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on April 10th, 2014, 7:09 pm

I thoroughly endorse all of the above synopsis by Yuiliasir.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS