Caffeine and twitching

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Caffeine and twitching

Postby Tomb on April 6th, 2014, 5:35 am

I've posted before that I drink around 10 to 12 cups of tea a day. When I have a day or two without drinking tea, as I have tried recently, the twitching seems to stop by about 70%.
Does anyone know whether this seems to be true of BFS? If the twitching was caused by something else could caffeine also affect the amount of twitching I get?

Thanks

Tom
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Re: Caffeine and twitching

Postby Yuliasir on April 6th, 2014, 6:04 am

Hi,
as at least partly the reason of our twitching is believed to be a constant excitation focus in the brain, any substances increasing brain excitation may keep that ficus sustained and causing twitchinhg discharges.

Decreasing caffeine (12 cups per day, holy stuff!0 will surely decrease your twitching and therefore you may be easy, as it is BFS in its clearest meaining :))))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tomb on April 6th, 2014, 7:59 am

Okay thanks! You know so much!
So are you saying that it is was something more serious than bfs, caffeine probably wouldn't affect the twitching?
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on April 6th, 2014, 9:13 am

there was a study several years back that showed a correlation between twitching and earl grey tea.....what kind of tea are you drinking? I'll see if i can find it.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby Tomb on April 6th, 2014, 9:29 am

Thanks so much Gary but I'm actually drinking PG Tips. If you have any ideas about that it would be really interesting.

Take care

Tom
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on April 6th, 2014, 11:46 am

I think no matter what tea you drink (except green one as it has more caffeine).

Well, should the twitches be casued by neuronal damage, tea limitation probably would not affect that.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tomb on April 6th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Thanks but *beep*! I had the intention of replacing my normal tea with green tea!
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on April 6th, 2014, 1:38 pm

no, no, no :))) green tea has more caffeine :) there is decafeinated tea (never tried) or teas made on less caffein containing herbs. Carcade (Sudan rose tea) has less caffeine I think (but it is highly acidic).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tomb on April 6th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Thanks I think I will have a week off tea altogether and then just drink decaf. I think that contains a little caffeine but hopefully not a lot to do anything.
I saw my last post and the beep but that was just for a da m n - apologies anyway.
I'm really hoping the caffeine may be a major part of why I'm twitching but I guess I will have to wait and see. Do you think my high caffeine intake and extremely high health anxiety could both to blame?
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Postby Little Lost on April 6th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Hi,
I am a caffeine addict also, and am easily 10 cups per day (and coke of the cola variety). You could just IV me with caffeine.
What Yuliasir said in her first post is right. (How do you get to know so much misses)

Caffeine does lots of things to your body. It promotes positive effects by activating pathways associated with motivational and motor responses in the brain. Our man Prof M de Carvalho showed caffeine reduced a measurement called the 'cortical silent period'. This sounds more complicated than it is. Basically it is just a physiological measurement , and if this cortical silent period is shorter than it should be ( as was seen after caffeine administration ), it can signal there is a thing called cortical hyperexcitability. So he showed caffeine could cause excitability of motor pathways, perhaps by stopping intra cortical inhibitory circuits (pathways)

There is huge interest in sports science in caffeine as acute ingestion makes muscles work more effectively during certain exercises. Think it does this as it helps synthesis a substance called ATP ( energy molecules the body generates and uses for fuel). Anyway caffeine can generate this energy ATP even in muscles exercising with low oxygen levels running through them ( I.e. through exertion).

The reason I am spouting all this stupid information is to highlight that caffine has effects on CNS, cortical hyperexcitability, and directly in muscles themselves.A lot of studies don't even use that much caffeine, so it is reasonable to extrapolate, tthat high users like ourselves are getting some of these effects.

Does this however result in caffeine causing fasciculation. I just dont know. I do know there are studies saying it can exacerbate the situation. For example the article I previously posted about fasciculation anxiety syndromes in clinicians (yes it exists), anyway caffeine was identified as a stimulant, but not source of their twitches. Other studies suggest caffeine has no effect, but they tend to be questioneer based. A lot of fasciculation can't be felt so for a proper answer I feel the study should have included emg before and after caffeine (probably not in their budget).

Personally I had 2 of my emgs close together about a month apart. One was in the morning and I didn't have any coffee as I was late out of bed......mad rush......very detailed, long emg, lots of muscles, showed presence of a few odd fasciculation potentials in various locations Other emg was done one evening, I had had loads of caffeine, buzzing amounts...including one while waiting.......fasciculation potentials were more numerous and widespread. I did think about this at the time, but may have just been coincidental.

Good luck with your withdrawal, you are a stronger person than me. I would murder someone if I had to go a day without the stuff.

Hx

PS am going to murder someone anyway as have to keep editing post. Trying to use one of kids tablet and every second word I write is interrupted by a stupid game called Talking Tom......talking tom needs fed, talking tom needs toilet, talking tom needs to play whack the mouse.......aaaaaahhhhhhh ..... so sorry if post muddled but can't hear myself think, or write , blame talking bloody tom xxx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on April 6th, 2014, 7:53 pm

I am certain that my twitching is strongly correlated with the amount of sleep that I get. This in turn is dependent on the amount of caffeine that I ingest. Whilst caffeine may have a direct effect for you, it might be worth thinking about whether sleep is also an issue, I know I wouldn't sleep well if I drank a lot of tea* in the evening.

RGB

* I'm just going along with your description of PG Tips dust as "tea" :)
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Little Lost on April 6th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Very good point RGB. People with obstructive apnea can have fasciculations on EMG, and these can resolve after treatment allows them less interupted sleep. I am both an insomniac ( since I was a teenager working in too many all night bars and clubs, and studying daytime, and also a caffeine addict (Last 7 Years), so I got both bases covered. (I often say I can't be bothered sleeping)
Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Tomb on April 7th, 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks for all the responses – I will report back after a week or so without caffeine.
Tomb
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS