"Brain Zaps" - is this even BFS?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

"Brain Zaps" - is this even BFS?

Postby Tiber2011 on April 3rd, 2014, 2:19 pm

All day, I've been feeling these brief, intense feeling of increased pressure (with an increase in tinnitus), like a zap, in my head. They come on and off, and are common while standing. Last for about 1 second at a time.

I've felt them before, most notably if I'm falling asleep when I shouldn't be.

It's like a zap...is this stress, MS, fatigue, or weather-related?

Today, it's cold, rainy and damp, about 40F. There's changes in the weather coming with several weather systems converging on my area.

I am trying not to freak out, but I can't stop.

I feel also pricking on the side of my left hand. It's just not a good day today, I suppose.

I appreciate any medical advice you may have.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: "Brain Zaps" - is this even BFS?

Postby wjjw on April 3rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Sorry, no medical advise, but this sounds exactly like something I had for a while as a teenager. Interestingly, I discovered my friend had the exact same thing. We joked around that it was from something that we smoked together :-) I remember we were calling it "brain tremors," but "zap" sounds about right. I have no idea what it was, and it eventually stopped on its own. Does not sound BFS related to me.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby Tiber2011 on April 3rd, 2014, 4:43 pm

wjjw wrote:Sorry, no medical advise, but this sounds exactly like something I had for a while as a teenager. Interestingly, I discovered my friend had the exact same thing. We joked around that it was from something that we smoked together :-) I remember we were calling it "brain tremors," but "zap" sounds about right. I have no idea what it was, and it eventually stopped on its own. Does not sound BFS related to me.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks, Bill.

So...due to an error with my insurance, I couldn't get my prescription of Lexapro (anti-anxiety) refilled for the past two days and I thus couldn't take it.

I just found out from Wikipedia that these "brain zap" items could be caused by not taking your medicines!

I hope this goes away. I got my refill today, and also called my doctor.

I'd hate to have permanent brain damage and zapping because I didn't take Lexapro for 48 hours.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Dennis_dw on May 26th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Tiber2011 wrote:All day, I've been feeling these brief, intense feeling of increased pressure (with an increase in tinnitus), like a zap, in my head. They come on and off, and are common while standing. Last for about 1 second at a time.

This is the first time I heard someone describe as accurate as this, It feels like someone turns your head on and off for a second. I didn't know it was called a brainzap I've been searching for a long time tough tanks! If you could just find the dutch word that would be perfect! :D

I've had them for as long as i can remember from when i was 7.

I am trying not to freak out, but I can't stop.

Yea I used to panic when I had them when i was young, now they just make me nervous. I had a few yesterday when i was chilling with some friends so I just went for a walk to get some fresh air and to relax a little, while walking i had another one. They are scary because you cant suppress them. You startle for a second and get nervous afterwards. And you look like you get a little spasm or someone scared you?
Dennis_dw

Postby ShawnW on May 30th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Brain zaps are a common side effect of coming off of SSRIs.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on May 31st, 2014, 6:27 pm

Was just going to ditto what Shawn W. wrote...so there you go. Always a logical explanation, right? Except when there isn't with this crazy stuff. But it sure is nice when there is!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS