Dreaming

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Dreaming

Postby Little Lost on March 29th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Dreaming I was only dreaming of another place in time....oophs sorry you caught me singing a bit there.

Seriously, does anyone ever dream that part of their body is not working. I have a real fear of MND that I cant let go. I often wake up and in that half asleep moment am convinced I can no longer move part of me. Some nights it is my hand, others it is a foot, or my arm will only lift slightly off the bed. Last night it was my mouth. I couldn't move my lips, fell asleep again and woke up 100% fine. It is not sleep paralysis ( I get that from time to time), and I dont have any weakness when awake. I often wake in a panic and think I have footdrop, then only when I am up standing at the window trying to calm myself down do I realise I dont. Am I alone in this. Is this a nightmare I am having. I do get numb hands at night but EMG said no CT or ulnar nerve. It is quite scary and I cant tell anyone as I am banned from talking about ALS at home on punishment of death by a thousand knives.

Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Dreaming

Postby donnastar on March 29th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Hello Hx, I haven't had a dream like that but do wake up in a panic about the fear of MND that feels like a bad nightmare. I also wake up 2-3 times a week with numb hands. Sometimes they feel like fat sausages that are difficult to move. After a couple of shakes the feeling goes away. My EMG was normal too and my GP and neuro didn't seem concerned when I told them but since then it has gotten worse. I have experienced pain in my right hand so much so I lay on it at night to make it feel better. That has only happened a few times. I mentioned my numb hands at night to my husband this morning and got the evil eye. He doesn't want to hear about my fears anymore. I agree it is quite scary and I want you to know your not alone especially at night when you standing at the window :) . I appreciate your posts on this forum and find them very reassuring so I wanted to thank you for that. Have fun dancing ( I think I read that earlier today in another post).
donnastar

Postby SecretAgentMan on March 29th, 2014, 4:20 pm

I have taken a great interest in dreaming since I really started exploring consciousness and the human experience a few years back. I guess I always took dreams for granted most of my life and thought very little of them other than the occasional odd dream that would pop out at me from time to time. In my exploring and research it seems that our dreams are like our own free therapist living inside our own minds. Dreams can metaphorically or symbolically reflect back to you issues that you are going through in life. It is rare but sometimes dreams are literal. It just depends.

I would bet that your dreaming of certain parts of you not working are really just reflections of your excessive fear. Human beings really are conflicted creatures, and I am no exception. Different aspects of our psyche are constantly struggling for dominance. These inner conflicts can be played out in our dreams with each character and event representing a different part of ourselves crying out for attention. I read a book that talked about lucid dreaming, where your conscious mind awakens inside a dream and you realize that you are in a dream. I have only done this 3 times that I am aware of. The lucid dreaming researcher was dreaming that they were caught in the middle of an angry mob of people. A large ugly giant was among the angry mob and the researcher was scared and horrified by this giant monster looking thing. They realized it was all a dream though and realized that love and forgiveness was the only way to calm this aspect of themselves. They had to dig deep and really feel it but once they did this the mob disappeared and the giant monster looking thing melted into them. After this they woke up feeling an incredible peace and calm.

I believe that the unsettling aspects of our dreams are just parts of ourselves that need love and forgiveness. We have a bad habit of burying and suppressing our conflicting thoughts and emotions without ever truly resolving them and finding a state of inner peace. Left un-addressed long enough and these inner conflicts can lead to physical manifestations of illness. Amazingly when the underlying emotional issues are resolved a lot of amazing physical healings take place. Hypnosis has some great examples of how physical issues can be cleared up very quickly with the resolution of internal emotional conflicts. Don't fret the dreams.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on April 6th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Hi Donna star
Thank you for your reply. I know 'The evil eye' look you talked about only to well. I get numb hands also, but it is probably not ct or ulnar in my case as my ncs and emg were clear in that area. Think it is posture with me, think anxieTy makes me curl my hands up and lie on them for good measure. Perhaps the numbness influences my dreams of being clinically weak. BFS is really lonely for me. I am not to mention it in the house. Of course I do as I am not very good at taking orders....but the evil eye is never far away. I would not do so well without this forum, especially with the gagging order in force at home. (For those who English is not first language, gagging order is not me being subjected to abuse, it is a saying.)

SAM
As always thanks for taking the time to reply with such insight. Maybe I will sleep better with your advice.

Stupid dreams. Live this bfs now dreaming it as well

Hx.
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Little Lost on April 13th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Another sleepless night...I am used to insomnia, used to not sleeping, but this is terrible. The twitching is relentless ( nearly as bad as it was at the start which was 3 years now), but everytime I nod off my hand and arms go numb, then come the night terrors etc. I have never taken any sort of tablets or sleeping aid, however I think I will have to give in. Can anyone with any experience of these things suggest anything. My doctor would just give me horse tranquilisers and be done....thing is due to family circumstance ( nothing mysterious just care for someone who is sick), I need to always be able to be on hand during the night if needed, so I cant sleep too deep ever. However I also have to get through each day, so need some sleep. Also not something to take everynight just when I am really bad ( i.e. days into no sleep).

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have just moved house down south into England, and although it has been done over the course of 6 months, and I know this area like the back of my hand and have friends down here, the final shift and stress of new schools for kids after Easter etc maybe what is making the twitching, sleeping especially bad. I just feel I need to try something. So has anyone had something that works but is not too strong or addicitive.

Thank you
Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 14th, 2014, 12:03 am

hello,
usually herbal drugs are soft enough. Try valeriana first. Other herbs with potent sleeping aid are leonuria and hawthorn. I used to mix ethanol extracts (sold in our drugstores) 1:1:1 and it was really a hit ;))

you may try trademarks such as NovoPassit (it contains valeriana and passiflora extracts, both good). I am not sure if you may get other herbal meds produced in Eastern Europe, but NovoPassit is also good one. And they are not addicitve, however with the time you must make a break, but then again you may restore a course.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on April 14th, 2014, 7:22 am

Hi

Thank you very much for that Yuliaser. That is a good idea to try something like valeriana. Just so tired and having to get through work and then kids and then night time just a bit much energy wise. Will see what I can pick up over next day or so and will let you know how it goes.

H xxx

ps will need to dash back to my last post on general topics as I have spelt your name wrong AGAIN on it...would like to blame lack of sleep but it is my spelling I am terrible. Is that a traditional name from your part of the world.
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 14th, 2014, 1:26 pm

ah, dont worry just call me Yulia :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby donnastar on April 15th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Hope you've gotten some rest Hx. No wonder your twitching is almost as bad as 3 years ago. That is a lot for one person to handle…caring for someone who is sick, moving and kids. Gosh I would need some rest too! Sounds like you need a weekend at a hotel spa just for you to relax, be pampered and rest :) I've never taken a sleeping aid however over a year ago when my anxiety was at it's peak I did take dimenhydrinate (gravel) a couple of times. Not sure if you have that available in England as I'm from Canada but it is for nausea but has a sedative effect. 1/2 a pill and I would sleep all night. My past work as bedside nurse we commonly administered zopiclone to help patients settle for the night. I don't think it is very addictive or has many side effects. My hand numbness sounds very similar to your's as both my NCS and EMG were normal and done to both hands and arms. I think (hope) mine is positional as I often help my stomach with my hands in awkward positions. I did mention the numbness at my one and only visit with a neurologist and he didn't seemed concerned since it resolved within minutes although happens a couple times a week during the night. Wishing you sweet dreams.
donnastar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS