Hyperflexia in BFS?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hyperflexia in BFS?

Postby nrun90 on March 20th, 2014, 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,

Haven't been on here in quite some time until recently the past few months when my symptoms started to act up again. You'd think I would stop obsessing over it, but it's easier said than done. Symptoms seem to come and go. Right now my left arm is twitching constantly (in the bicep), left hand/wrist hurt and it feels like pins/needles if my hand is in a certain position. I get a lot of pain if I raise the left arm for a while; which I think is weird. Also, I noticed my left leg has a brisker reflex than my right. Everything I read online indicates that is caused by motor neuron disease or ALS.

Does anyone else experience these symptoms and do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Nick
nrun90

Re: Hyperflexia in BFS?

Postby Yuliasir on March 20th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Everything you will read online will tell you that your headache means brain tumour.
Do you know that self-assesment of the reflexes is practically a source of perception bias? Go to neuro, ask external assesment, and after that only you can moan about asymmetrically brisk reflexes.

pins and needles and pain in the wrist mean you have ulnar nerve compression problems, wery common in BFS. It is very common for BFS also to have a pain in the hand even when washing the head or bruching the teeth, so nothing uncommon.

Also, in ALS, when reflexes are asymmetric, usually motor deficites are already evident (like fingers do not move, or spasticity is present, etc.). YOu do not report that so I think there is no reason to worry for you.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on March 21st, 2014, 6:57 am

You performing your own neuro exam isn't wise. As I have said in other posts...asymmetric reflexes do not mean ***...despite popular opinion. The VAST majority of asymmetric lower extremity reflexes come from an issue with spinal impingement...disc issues.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS