The Multiple Sclerosis Debate

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

The Multiple Sclerosis Debate

Postby HypoKev on March 19th, 2014, 10:02 am

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to these forums and am overjoyed to have found this wonderful site! Recently, I noticed a muscle twitch in my leg one night and since then, I have been constantly monitoring my body for them. I know this may sound strange, but I feel like the more I look for them, the more they actually occur (is that even possible?). It's almost like I am anticipating them and that in-turn makes them occur...

Anyway, I have been having a lot of anxiety and concern about Multiple Sclerosis. My doctor does not seem concerned whatsoever, but I can't quite shake the fear.

My question is, what is the correlation between muscle twitching and Multiple Sclerosis? If it occurs during the disease, is it more localized or can it occur randomly all over one's body (like mine). Is it common in early stages or does it come later?

I honestly feel that I am okay, and that my twitching is heavily related to stress and anxiety, but I just can't quite shake the feeling of worry that has consumed me lately.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
HypoKev
HypoKev

Re: The Multiple Sclerosis Debate

Postby Tiber2011 on March 20th, 2014, 8:26 am

Hypokev,

I am a young guy (28) and I've been in fear of MS since my whole BFS thing started last year.

However, my doctors have tested me for it, and told me they're not worried about me. That's not to say they can guarantee I'll never get it.

As for twitching, I think with MS you get actual jerks and spasms. The fluttering, twtitching fasics you and I get are more on the BFS side. There are certain types of fasics found in advanced stages of MS, especially in the face.

The jerking/shaking I spoke about are what you'd see in an old person with advanced PD. But I assume your head isn't moving side-to-side, your arm is steady when you write, and you can hold things. Thus, I'd believe your doctor.

I do find myself frustrated at times, as many twitchers tend to focus on that other nasty disease that has three letters. However, more cases of MS are diagnosed than the other disease, so I assume your doctor is very well-versed in the diagnosis of MS.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby HypoKev on March 20th, 2014, 10:07 am

Tiber2011 wrote:Hypokev,

I am a young guy (28) and I've been in fear of MS since my whole BFS thing started last year.

However, my doctors have tested me for it, and told me they're not worried about me. That's not to say they can guarantee I'll never get it.

As for twitching, I think with MS you get actual jerks and spasms. The fluttering, twtitching fasics you and I get are more on the BFS side. There are certain types of fasics found in advanced stages of MS, especially in the face.

The jerking/shaking I spoke about are what you'd see in an old person with advanced PD. But I assume your head isn't moving side-to-side, your arm is steady when you write, and you can hold things. Thus, I'd believe your doctor.

I do find myself frustrated at times, as many twitchers tend to focus on that other nasty disease that has three letters. However, more cases of MS are diagnosed than the other disease, so I assume your doctor is very well-versed in the diagnosis of MS.

Tiber2011,

Thank you very much for the informative response! Is it also safe to assume that any muscle twitching that would occur with Multiple Sclerosis would be more localized (especially in early stages where it hasn't "spread"?). My twitches like to jump all over my body and don't frequent one particular area. I've heard that MS lesions affect one area and eventually spread, but I can't be 100% certain of that since I've just started to research the disease.
HypoKev

Postby Tiber2011 on March 20th, 2014, 10:23 am

Do not research MS.

If the Dr. said you don't have it; you don't have it.

MS doesn't really cause twitching. It causes a lot more issues that you don't need to mull over.

Are you:
incontinent?
numb?
in extreme pain?
blind in one eye?
feeling terribly painful electric shocks?
unable to move a limb or two?
unable to walk?
extremely dizzy all day?
nauseated all day?
falling?
feeling tremendously weak/tired?

You aren't. You weren't feeling those at the doctor. You had a benign muscle twitch in the leg.

Stop yourself immediately.

(And just so you don't look it up -if you had spreading lesions, you'd be diagnosed and undergoing drug therapies at this very moment.)
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby HypoKev on March 20th, 2014, 11:26 am

You make a very, very good point.

I guess I've heard so many conflicting things about muscle twitching and MS, that it's hard to sort it all out. My doctor said it could be associated, but it seemed like he said that just so he could appease me and then dismiss it as not definitive.

I'm at the point where I wonder if I should have an EMG done. They've only been occurring for a week, but they are super annoying. My doctor and I just sat and talked and then he performed a reflex test (which I passed with flying colors).

I dunno... Yesterday I was convinced my anxiety was causing all of this, but then this morning I had more twitches as soon as I got to work and it makes me question my own reasoning...
HypoKev

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS