10 Year Update

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

10 Year Update

Postby ryanbabs on March 18th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Hello all,

I first joined this group almost ten years ago, and I remember how terrified I was then, and I always liked to hear from those who had these symptoms for a long time. I've actually had my symptoms over ten years.

If you read through my past posts, you'll see that I've had virtually all of the symptoms that most of you have. I think I've finally figured all of this out, with the help of my new doctor. Honestly, my symptoms don't even bother me in the least anymore and haven't for a long time, but everything in the past makes so much sense now. I'm an active baseball coach and into fitness and bodybuilding.

I went to an Endocrinologist about five years ago and was told my thyroid peroxidase antibody levels were high, and I was given Synthroid for Hypothyroidism, even though my TSH and T3/T4 levels were perfectly normal. This doctor wanted to see me every six months and would only check my labwork and check my thyroid and be out the door in about a minute...no joke! My labwork was always perfectly fine. I grew tired of this and talked to my new (primary) doctor last year, and he took me off of the Synthroid and told me I may not need it.

I had my labwork checked this past December, and now my TSH level is in the high range, leaning towards Hypthyroidism. He just recently checked it again yesterday and told me I probably have autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and would probably need to get back on the Synthroid after confirmation.

I discussed my past nervous system symptoms and he explained that when the immune system attacks the thyroid, initially it creates symptoms of Hyperthyroidism (such as twitches, etc.) and symptoms of Hypo as well, as the TSH level tries to maintain equilibrium. I actually thought of this not too long ago, and he confirmed.

So there you go...you guys may want to have your thyroid antibody (TPO) levels checked out, since your TSH, T3/T4 levels may still be normal, but your thyroid could be under attack. It is a totally manageable disease, so don't be alarmed if you do have this.

I'm not saying this is what you have, but you may want to look into this.
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

10 Year Update

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS