Body Building with BFS

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Body Building with BFS

Postby ShawnW on March 14th, 2014, 8:56 am

I am looking to get back into weight lifting. I know the general consensus here is that it can't or shouldn't be done if you have BFS. Many believe it will make the problem worse. I do want to hear from some who have BFS who have been able to continue or start body building. Most of my BFS symptoms have resolved. I have the occasional twitch, the occasional foot or hand cramp. My anxiety level is much improved. My nervous system seems to be recovering...thank God for that. I am looking to growing more spiritually and physically fit, but I also want to feel and look stronger. I want to put on about 20 pounds of muscle in the next year or two. So, has anyone here been down this road. Any advice besides don't do it?
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Body Building with BFS

Postby Watereddown on March 14th, 2014, 3:44 pm

I was an avid weightlifter before this whole fiasco began. I was a solid 225, maybe 7% body fat. Since then, ive dropped to 200, and most of my mass is gone and Im just pretty flabby now. Ive tried over and over again to get back into it, but it does indeed make my symptoms much worse. ALthough i have an increase in the twitching, its the parasthesia that bothers me the most. It seems to be ramped up after I workout. So if you find the secret, please pass it on lol
Watereddown

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on March 16th, 2014, 2:25 pm

I too am eager to get back into a more stringent workout routine. The light weight / high reps philosophy isnt satisfying. It keeps the aching away, but my body craves weight lifting. So, Ive slowly increased my weight... still only one set. But at least Im making my muscles sore again and building some muscle. I havent noticed any bad side effects yet. I never had the workout intolerance others mention. I just read we are supposed to exercise light and easy so thats what I switched to.
UFGatorGuy20

Postby ShawnW on March 16th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Interesting Gator. What I have noticed is that heavy lifting while stressed is a bad idea. If stressed, do cardio. If well slept, well fed, and with low anxiety heavy lifting is better tolerated. Stress+heavy lifting=overuse syndromes...weakness, cramping, muscle pain. It's why so many here make their symptoms worse when they begin self testing.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on March 17th, 2014, 9:08 am

Watereddown wrote:I was an avid weightlifter before this whole fiasco began. I was a solid 225, maybe 7% body fat. Since then, ive dropped to 200, and most of my mass is gone and Im just pretty flabby now. Ive tried over and over again to get back into it, but it does indeed make my symptoms much worse. ALthough i have an increase in the twitching, its the parasthesia that bothers me the most. It seems to be ramped up after I workout. So if you find the secret, please pass it on lol

How is your stress level? If you are still anxious I wouldn't advise anything more than cardio and very light weight lifting.

But, if your stress/anxiety is in check, start slow but get back into it. All that body fat isn't helping your confidence. And fat increases cortisol thus producing a negative feedback loop...causing more anxiety. Zinc, Mag, Vitamin C, Whey protein, and creatine supplementations is the way I am going...lots of gatorade bananas and oatmeal. Starting light. Worked my legs last night. This morning sore but I don't see an increase in symptoms...thankfully. Creatine has gotten some good feedback here about BFS. We will see. I am going to use this thread as a diary to update you all on my progress. Hopefully, it will not only help myself but others.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on March 17th, 2014, 11:31 am

Oh yeah and I'm staying REALLY well hydrated.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 17th, 2014, 4:01 pm

How is your stress level? If you are still anxious I wouldn't advise anything more than cardio and very light weight lifting.

But, if your stress/anxiety is in check, start slow but get back into it. All that body fat isn't helping your confidence. And fat increases cortisol thus producing a negative feedback loop...causing more anxiety. Zinc, Mag, Vitamin C, Whey protein, and creatine supplementations is the way I am going...lots of gatorade bananas and oatmeal. Starting light. Worked my legs last night. This morning sore but I don't see an increase in symptoms...thankfully. Creatine has gotten some good feedback here about BFS. We will see. I am going to use this thread as a diary to update you all on my progress. Hopefully, it will not only help myself but others.

My stress has definitely been fluctuating for the past 8 months. It's really strange, sometimes I feel like I lack the energy to gym, and other days I feel fine. Also sometimes the symptoms are there for me while I train, and sometimes they are not. For example, for a little while, everytime I began exercising, I would feel hot burning patches on my legs, it never failed. Then out of the blue, that feeling disappeared. Just recently has it picked up again.

It's interesting what you say about creatine, I've never thought about supplementing with it to help the nerve issue/twitches. Let me know if you feel any improvements, i might have to buy some.
Watereddown

Postby ShawnW on March 18th, 2014, 10:33 am

Well, day 2, did bench press, curls, trap work and I'm a good sore this morning. No increase in weakness or fasiculations.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on March 19th, 2014, 6:38 am

Squats, leg raises with weights, calf raises...again good sore with no increase in symptoms. Actually fasiculations have been less.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scaredlin on March 26th, 2014, 6:24 pm

I know this is an older thread but just getting back from vacation mode and back onto the forum.

When this whole mess began I was training for a women's masters figure bodybuilding competition. This was August. I began with spasms/cramping and headaches caused by spasming neck muscles. My twitching did not begin until January.

I don't necessarily agree that lifting is bad for BFS, its just that at some point if you are troublesomely symptomatic (sore, twitching more) you must adjust your weights, frequency and add yoga.

Once I started twitching I was so freaked that I completely backed off lifting and my body rebelled with more twitches. I read that a very active body that stops being active can actually cause more twitching. So I don't think not lifting is the answer.

I have tweaked it such that I am lifting every other day and not breaking up body parts but doing more of a circuit with some cross fit thrown in. I also reduced my weights significantly. Im also rather tiny 5 foot 4, 120lbs, so I think all that mass that I was putting on without stretching created all the tension in my upper body muscles, cramping, spasming and twitching. My traps are like up to my ears right now.

I also think what I thought of as the healthiest diet ever - eating super clean - (sweet potatoes, eggs, chix, broccoli and oatmeal all day long) was probably not nutritionally what my body needed at my age. At 45, with 3 kids, and an attorney and military reservist, I think the last think I needed was the stress of a bodybuilding competition on me. Im a little alpha achiever and I think BFS was God's way of reigning me in and saving me from myself. Everything in moderation.
Scaredlin

Postby ShawnW on March 26th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Awesome stuff. Glad you posted that. I agree, for me weight lifting seems to improve the way I feel. I get probably 10-20 twitches a day, down from hundreds. I get that good sore, and I sleep better.

Just wondering you do protein shakes/creatine?

As for the whole God reigning you in...yeah He tends to do that with me as well. He loves me enough to save me from myself.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Scaredlin on March 27th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Shawn
Used to do a daily protein shake. WHen the BFS started, I lost my mind and said what the heck, if Im dying in a year or two, I might as well eat like crap. And I did! IT was comforting.

Trying to get back to a stable moderately clean diet now that Im a little less anxious. My shake was protein powder, egg whites, flax seed, banana, usually some berries and almond milk. I didn't do creatine. Whatever aminos were in the protein powder were enough for me. I didn't like to supplement with too much stuff.
Scaredlin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS