worries about ALS

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

worries about ALS

Postby pupilekk on March 6th, 2014, 8:34 am

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just turned 20 and my fascis have been appearing for like 1,5 year. I would like to ask You a couple of questions, thanks to which i can hopefully get rid of my worries about ALS.

Generally my fasciculations tend to occur randomly all over the body and and I would be fine with them considering bfs [no muscle weakness ] but there are few specific areas of my body where they seem more noticeable. Moreover these areas are painful and the nerves seem to be damaged as they hurt.

It started in April 2011 when I was feeling discomfort in my lumbar spine, some kind of sciatica appeared as well. As I remember there were ocassional twitches but I wasn't really aware of the them, rather focused on the pain. I did several tests like ultrasound, MRI. Everything looked pretty ok.

In July 2012 unfortunately I got hospitalized for 2 weeks due to thrombocytopenia. As it turned out, nothing related to lymphoma etc. I mention this because regular twitches all over the body appeared right after i went to the hospital. In addition I felt like my right arm was kinda weak. That's why I'm also scared, if this arm and fascis are related to each other what could be als.

I visited 3 neurologists already(3 weeks last time) everyone of them provides it doesn't look like ALS due to my age and the fact the fascis don't show up after hitting a muscle.

How does it looke like to You guys ? Can I consider having BFS or maybe ALS when there are troubles with my arm (not even getting weaker since that occurance in the hospital) and lumbar spine?

Sorry for my english, I am from Poland
pupilekk

Re: worries about ALS

Postby Scaredlin on March 6th, 2014, 11:32 am

Hello and welcome. Thrombocytopenia is super common in autoimmune conditions famous for nerve issues. Does not sound at all like als.
Scaredlin

Postby Gamindsoc1509 on March 11th, 2014, 12:24 am

Lol...
This sentence is gonna concern people

"everyone of them provides it doesn't look like ALS due to my age and the fact the fascis don't show up after hitting a muscle"

Considering most of us can initiate twitches from hitting a muscle
Gamindsoc1509

Postby pupilekk on March 15th, 2014, 6:17 pm

@ Gamindsoc1509 Really is it normal for "bfs's" to initiate twitches after hitting? Then I probably I misinterpreted that. Maybe the doctor was rather like "i can't even see your fascis after hitting your muscle" which might even exclude my fascis occurrence overall.
pupilekk

Postby Watereddown on March 15th, 2014, 6:52 pm

And i guarantee you everyone that read this post went on and hit one of their muscles... :lol:
Watereddown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS