spine

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

spine

Postby flux27 on February 11th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Hi all im new.
Im obviously here because I twitch a lot it started in the calves as a flicker under the skin and now my calvess are going crazy it never stops . My legs also shake at times . I have random allover twitches and muscle jerks that effect the entire muscle in a stong hit, rather then fasiculations.
Sounds like bfs right however I have also have a syrinx in my cervical cord in the center. This is a water filled hole csused by spinal fluid entering the cord and pooling together . It is essentially rotting the center of the cord and is a condition called syringomyelia.
Apart from my twitching I also have severe arm pain in a crushing or stabbing manner, pins and needles, numbness , deeo bone aches and a whloe host of other stuff.
Now ive seen two neurosurgeon who agree my syrinx is too small to cause my issues but then can't actually explain them.
After seeing the neurosurgeons im not enthusiastic sbout seeing a neurologist.
I know syrinx are very rare and especially the idiopathic one I have eg I have no chairi malformatio.
Just goning around in circles
flux27

Re: spine

Postby flux27 on February 13th, 2014, 10:14 am

I supppse what im asking is could I have BFS ?
Do you guys have severe arm pain , numbness , tingling etc etc?
Im just looking for other better alternatives then syringomyelia
flux27

Postby magnetizzum on February 13th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hey Flux..I am a MRI technologist and I see people with a syrinx actually quite commonly. I know some are congenital(from birth)and some are more random due to motor vehicle accidents, falls, trauma, etc. I am definitely not a doctor but wanted to let you know they are not as rare as one may think. I have seen on scans all kinds and lengths of a synrinx--to very small in the neck to very large that extends from the neck all the way down to where the spinal cord ends. A person could have both bfs and a syrinx but I think it would be hard to guage which symptoms come from which source. A neurologist will listen to your symptoms and try to treat them if necessary mostly with medications whereas a neurosurgeon will only seem to follow people if they need surgery. Hope this helps.
magnetizzum

Postby flux27 on February 18th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Hi thank you for your response. On my mri report it also states I have dural ectasia of lower cervical and upper thoracic area . I now belive this to be a mistake. I dont have any genetic conditions linked to this.
I believe its actually a presyrinx state which is fluid building up on the outside of my spine before growing the all ready formed syrinx.
My arms arw so painful and my legs arw getting so stiff.
flux27

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS