Any thumb muscle twitchers. Worries me again.

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Any thumb muscle twitchers. Worries me again.

Postby firman82 on January 14th, 2014, 5:13 pm

So a little history I am 31 now and started with calfs twitching 18 months ago and then all Over twitching. Had many tests done and all was clear. Got over it but now my left thumb muscle is twitching. It really does it when I flex that big muscle at the base of the thumb an then it does some twitching/ spasms and then stops. Does it periodically but mostly after the muscle has been used or flexed. Frustraiting and concerns me once again. Anyone else have this happen or hear of it. Should I see the neuro again? Thanks
firman82
Interested
Interested

Re: Any thumb muscle twitchers. Worries me again.

Postby notfromearth on January 15th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Just noticed this on my right thumb too today (more by coincidence, as I didn't really feel it)...

it twitched for like 30 seconds, about 1 twitch per second (no, it was not just the pulse)...

but after that it was gone... doesn't seem to be a hotspot for me atm ;-)
notfromearth

Postby RGB on January 16th, 2014, 7:06 am

Happens to me regularly. As if by magic (!) my signature-block (it's like the 90s :) ) will appear and tell the rest of the story i.e. relax, just normal BFS.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on April 23rd, 2014, 12:26 pm

I'm glad to have found this post. As a veteran, I know I shouldn't be scared of these things, but this is truly odd for me. I find that after using my thumb (like typing) or flexing my thumb muscle, it goes crazy with twitching for about 5 seconds. Almost like a crazy eyelid twitch after squeezing your eyelid shut (if any of you have experienced that).

This is my problematic thumb. It had a hotspot for two months last year (very different than what I'm experiencing now, where it would just twitch once on its own without provocation, every 5 seconds to every 5 minutes). Now, it just appears to be extremely sensitive to its use and goes completely crazy when I use it. Of course, my right thumb muscle is smaller/flatter than my left.

I'm just wondering how common this is, and if this is really part of BFS, or if I should get this checked out for something like carpal tunnel (note that I'm trying to stay away from even thinking of what the big fear always is). I really don't want to see a neuro, so hopefully this is just BFS and hypersensitive nerves.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on May 8th, 2014, 7:23 pm

The thumb/index finger was the first twitch in my life I have had that scared me. I have twitched here and there for as long as I can remember. But, when the thumb/index went off...it went off for 1-2 days...4-5 times a minute. That was the beginning of this fear for me. I can still get it from time to time.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on May 10th, 2014, 3:24 pm

I have this fear still, so I know how you feel.

I get twitches in my thumb muscle, the one between the thumb and index finger and the one that attaches my thumb to my wrist. It worries me at times and other times it doesn't. Hoping more BFSers will write and say that they get this too, and is usual.

Mine come and go, like a few times per month. No hot spot. And it will twitch for a couple seconds and then stop. Both hands.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS