left calf is smaller than the right

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

left calf is smaller than the right

Postby nrwtwitcher on January 13th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Hello. I have a new problem. My left muscle of my calf is a little bit smaller than the right one... I have visited my neuro today and he saw it also. Hi meanted that this in a normal level. Nevertheless I am concerned now. I hope that this no since of a beginning atrophie. What is your opinion? Thank you. Is a neuro to able to difference between a beginning clinical atrophie and a normal unsymmetiric?
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: left calf is smaller than the right

Postby Gamindsoc1509 on January 13th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Hey bud... A simple rational question should answer this but do you think our 'opinions' over the internet are more valid than that of a neurologist who examined you?
Gamindsoc1509

Postby Gamindsoc1509 on January 13th, 2014, 3:35 pm

As an added note, I have one leg and calf that is A LOT smaller than the other. The reason is because I had ACL surgery on it last year. When I went to the neurologist, he didn't even comment on it. Because I was stressed I mentioned "by the way, that leg isn't atrohpied. I had surgery on it last year" and he laughed at me.
Gamindsoc1509

Postby johnnythejet on January 13th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Count yourself as about the thousandth person from this community who has fallen into the trap of looking and finding what we believe is atrophy. You will find deviations in muscles sizes in other muscle groups as well. That's normal (as your doctor indicated). Stop stop STOP focusing on your body and the self-exams. You will find nothing meaningful but scaring yourself at the same time. Let it go.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 13th, 2014, 10:50 pm

My calves are slightly different shaped if I examine them closely, one has a divot in the side/back.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 14th, 2014, 1:07 am

surely you neuro CAN spot the difference!!!!!!

it is normal to have up to 1 inch on circumpherence difference for hands, a dn for legs I think even more.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Neville86 on July 12th, 2014, 1:13 pm

My dad's an avid hunter (Mainah ovah heah) and he's got this tracking book. What's odd about the book is it talks about tracking all kinds of animals, including primates, including--yes, I know how creepy it sounds haha--humans. Anyway in the book it says that a vast majority of primates lead with long strides of their dominant legs and therefore calf muscles on dominant legs (esp those who walk a lot) tend to be smaller than non dominant leg.
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS