constant tiny twitch in upper arm

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: constant tiny twitch in upper arm

Postby Anxious guy on November 14th, 2013, 3:03 pm

My doc and neurologist said BFS after the clinical exam.. The neuro said I don't need an emg but I asked for one and just had it tonight !
My neuro wasn't worried but I was anxious and said a clean emg would help me.. So he agreed.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on November 14th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Hi Matt,
usually MND makes obvious changes to a reflexes wich precede any other abnormalities. So if your clinical tests are ok and your reflexes do not have any abnormalities (those are not only when the doctor hits you in the knee, but may involve strnage tests like tickling you with a needle in the middle of the belly), then MND is positively excluded on the basis of that test.
As you can see, EMG in ou feloows anyway does not show anything other that possible tunnes syndrome, small denervations due to age, etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby matthew dolan on November 28th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Hey all,

Im still worried just as much as I was before. I think this is because my twitching has just gotten worse, and my left foot is crampy.nuerolagist does not seem worried which is a help. She wants to do an emg because she thinks it will put my mind at ease.... I think the only way to get through this if its nothing sinister, is plan old time I think thats really why its hard to let it go right now because its impossible to say it will be.ok today, but if im fine in a year or two than it is obvious that it was and is nothing.

Im just really worried its a##

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby johnnythejet on November 29th, 2013, 1:39 am

matthew dolan wrote:Im still worried just as much as I was before. I think this is because my twitching has just gotten worse, and my left foot is crampy.nuerolagist does not seem worried which is a help. She wants to do an emg because she thinks it will put my mind at ease.... I think the only way to get through this if its nothing sinister, is plan old time I think thats really why its hard to let it go right now because its impossible to say it will be.ok today, but if im fine in a year or two than it is obvious that it was and is nothing.

Twitching will wax and wane and will often go through long periods of seemingly increased symptoms. Don't be fooled into thinking that progression of your symptoms means jack squat. Go ahead and get your EMG (although its unnecessary) but be aware that you will likely question the results. It often takes time for us to accept the truth that we're in the clear, but don't be fooled that you can't be sure until the year mark or some other arbitrary length of time. As of right now you are already in there clear, without question. Only in your mind is there still a chance that the source of your symptoms might be ALS.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby TJNDND on December 1st, 2013, 1:44 pm

I have the same twitch in my left bicep. It's very fine - so fine that you can't see it when the muscle is flexed, only when my arm is positioned correctly and/or the muscle is hanging "loosely". I would not be as worried, if the twitching wasn't seemingly 24/7. I also have random muscle "burps" and twitching in other areas (thighs, butt, pectorals, other arm), however the twitching is almost constant in my left arm whenever I look at it. It's driving me literally insane, so I'm going to a neurologist to figure out what is going on.

Hopefully it will help at least give me an answer one way or another. The fact that is it very fine twitching and constant has me a little more scared than I'd normally be.
TJNDND

Postby Anxious guy on December 1st, 2013, 2:30 pm

TJNDND.... My right triceps been going 24/7 for a month with a weeks break in the middle... It's just keeps going, I put a video of it on the BFS Facebook page... It's kinda achey / sore now but I think that's common if a muscle has been going for a long duration...
As I said before I have had all the tests and they are normal... They do t know exactly why it happens but they say it's BFS.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on December 4th, 2013, 6:07 am

Hey,

TJNDND keep me posted on what comes of your situation, if you would. My right shoulder is having slight pain, like I have worked out the muscle. In which I have not. I probably would have normally dismissed it but its the same side as my constant fine twitch. This makes me worry do to if my muscle in my shoulders that I normally your have grown weaker so other muscles that I normally don't use are picking up the slack causing them to ach like I have just worked out.... I really hope I am wrong and just over thinking because the symptoms are not getting better.

Thanks for the responses,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Yuliasir on December 4th, 2013, 6:17 am

matt,
it is pretty normal to have some pain the the twitching muscle as it is involuntary workout. Many fellows report that and no one has clinical weakness of course.
as for getting better in terms of symptomes, in BFS it is vey long process, and only few of us may report being non-twitching at all. For most of us improvement means twitches subside but never go away. Plus various other issues which might be present till the end of the days - like GERD or urticaria for example :) And main improvement is of course loss of fear condition.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby shell67 on December 4th, 2013, 8:00 am

I'm having the same issue with left arm - constant twitch near elbow since August -- and now all over left shoulder. Went to neurologist a few weeks ago and he said my strength is fine and doesn't think it's necessary to repeat EMG (which I did in June). I really do believe constant twitching = irritated muscles! He also said he has never heard of a case of our dear friend beginning with twitches.
shell67

Postby matthew dolan on December 5th, 2013, 9:50 am

Hey,

I hope you guys are right. I just have a bad feeling bout this. This twitch is hard to see and never stops.. ever. I cant feel it only barley see it In the right lighting.. lately I been thinking the nuerolagist didnt see this twitch that I was pointing out. That she mistakenly saw a different twitch on my arm as she was looking. In all of my 25 years of life never been so worked up im miserable..

Thanks again for the replies. They help calm me down.

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Anxious guy on December 5th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Matt,

My neuro glanced at my tongue and said its nothing .... I think there is far more significance in reflexes and the general clinical exam..: if that's ok I really dont think the twitching aspect is of concern to doctors ...
Also to present with only twitching and anxiety is apparently extremely rare for it to lead onto something bad... By the time there are twitches there should be other clinical findings apparently !
Please try to relax, I am still trying myself ANSI know its hard but my thought process is far more rational which has hugely helped me !
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on December 28th, 2013, 12:13 am

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I have a new symptom now and it has me realy freaking. My right leg is twitching like crazy. My right calf more so. The calf feels weaker and is really hard to raise my toes and spread them. It feels like I pulled the muscle but not at the same time. It is hard to stand on my toes also.. just feels like I worked out and my calf is tired but Ihave not done aanything. I so worried with this new sudden development. It just feel like bugs are in my calf. I really think that its something bad since its not just twitching but with other difficulties doing things with my right leg.. just feels like its rubber even when not using it just the feeling like its dead like a sleepy limb but without the tingaling and numbness, sensory wise it feels fine...... just so upset. Emg is jan 29. Just going crazy. I am 90 percent sure its something.

Thanks... just want it to be over an not think that I am going to bite the dust so young.

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Anxious guy on December 28th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Matt, try not to worry... These bubbling calves are very common with BFS, my calves are flickering and bubbling but notably more in my left ! I had shaky legs before too were the felt weak for a few days but it passed... I've had a weak right arm too and it's twitching on the tricep every second or so for over 7 weeks now ! The weak feeling has passed again so much so it felt weak today but I went out and built a broken fence out the back that blew down in the bad weather 2 days ago !!
It took about 5 hours but I got there, my wrist is kinda sore but I was digging holes etc and lifting a lot so I guess it's to be expected...
My point is I thought I was weak and then went out and built a fence... You would be similar if you focused on other things rather than health anxiety... I know it's not easy but try it...

Your ok and have nothing different going on than the rest of us here...
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on December 28th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Hey Anxiousguy,

Thanks for the reply. I really hope your right my leg calf feels like there is bugs in there and my foot... ugh its not good. Ugh I just dont know what to do. I just love life and dont want to be cut short.....

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Anxious guy on January 8th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Hey just wondering if you seen your neuro ?
My tricep is slowly twitching up and down every second or so, it's very subtle, I really gotta stare at it to see it but it moves a good few cm of my tricep with it happens.. It's been 9 weeks or so now... How's yours now ?
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Questions About BFS