constant tiny twitch in upper arm

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

constant tiny twitch in upper arm

Postby matthew dolan on October 7th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to all of this. I have been having a constant twitch in my right upper arm. The twitch itself is really hard to see but is noticeably when looking in the right lighting. This twitch has been going on for 2 months. While this twitch is continuously going on I also get twitches throughout the rest of my body. My right arm feels fatigued, hands seem stiff and achy.

I have been doing a lot of reading, and by the sounds of it that was a bad move. Read about ALS well that one took the cake, seems like anything would be better than that. I have an appointment with a neurologist in a month, seems so far away.

I guess with that being said my question is does this.sound like BFS or something else.

Tanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Re: constant tiny twitch in upper arm

Postby bobajojo on October 7th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Matt,

Without weakness, you'll find that neurologists just aren't concerned. I mean the kind of weakness where you can't do normal things. So without weakness, it is extremely unlikely to be anything serious. You ask if a twitch for 2 months is common? Absolutely. -Matt
Last edited by bobajojo on October 8th, 2013, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on October 8th, 2013, 5:29 am

There probably isn't a lot of useful information to be gained from the nature/duration of the twitches, especially from non-experts like us The much more important fact to remember is that ALS is very very rare and ALS that presents with twitches is many times rarer than even that. Benign twitches are however relatively common so the probability that you have anything sinister is extremely low.

Also, words like "stiff" and "achy" are in no way associated with the kind of weakness that ALS causes.

I know how stressful this can feel (been there, done that, doing that!) but as thousands of people here prove... twitching is just twitching.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on October 8th, 2013, 11:59 am

Matt-
Everything you've described (including your right arm feelings) sounds exactly like BFS, and nothing like ALS. For every other similar story of the thousands that have been through this community....none have been ALS. Rest easy.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby matthew dolan on October 8th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the reassurance on this. There is some very bad stuff out there that involves twitching. I hope that the weakness in my right arm is just perceived weakness, and the aches are just aches from twitching. I hope you guys are right that its just signs of BFS. That neurology appointment can't come soon enough.

thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby matthew dolan on October 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Hey all,

Now I'm working 3 months of this non stop isolated twitch in my right tricep area. I have noticed that the twitching thats throughout the rest of my body is not so random. Now that I have had time to really analyze them the twitching most always happen in the same places. Isolated spots on my calfs arms abdomen back shoulders and quads. Just seems weird that they alway happen in the same spots when I do twitch in those locations. These twitches are not constant, they come and go throughout the day.

With all that being said my left inner part of my quad seems to be smaller than my right, every so often the muscle does twitch. Along with this this part of my leg is weaker when it comes to squats and leg extensions. This just worries me that it could be more than just bfs. I have my Neuro appointment in 3 weeks. I have been waiting so long for this appointment (3 months) that with all this time waiting just allows me to worry more about MS, ALS, and so on.

Has anyone else gone through this that coud shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby johnnythejet on October 26th, 2013, 8:20 pm

matthew dolan wrote:Now I'm working 3 months of this non stop isolated twitch in my right tricep area. I have noticed that the twitching thats throughout the rest of my body is not so random. Now that I have had time to really analyze them the twitching most always happen in the same places. Isolated spots on my calfs arms abdomen back shoulders and quads. Just seems weird that they alway happen in the same spots when I do twitch in those locations. These twitches are not constant, they come and go throughout the day.

With all that being said my left inner part of my quad seems to be smaller than my right, every so often the muscle does twitch. Along with this this part of my leg is weaker when it comes to squats and leg extensions. This just worries me that it could be more than just bfs. I have my Neuro appointment in 3 weeks. I have been waiting so long for this appointment (3 months) that with all this time waiting just allows me to worry more about MS, ALS,

Your current worries are a common misconception that we've all had at some point. We start twitching, learn that it sounds like BFS, then new stuff pops up and/or changes and we start believing maybe its something horrible. The truth is that once your story reads like BFS there is nothing weird or new that will occur and all the sudden represent a sinister source. No new "scary" twitch, pattern change, noticeable dent, etc. will change the reality that you are suffering from a benign condition. I know 3 months is a long time to wait, but you need to control your anxiety and irrational fears as much as possible. Keep busy with activities you enjoy, and cease the constant examination of your symptoms and associated changes. Its a waste of life. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby matthew dolan on October 31st, 2013, 11:38 pm

Hey Johnnythejet,

Thanks for your reply, really does help to calm things down. I managed to get my appointment moved up to this Monday. I hope everything checks out with me and I can finally move on. I worry about my reflexes at this point in time due to the fact to me they seem brisk, but only the neurologist can decide that.

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Anxious guy on November 1st, 2013, 1:45 am

I get them everywhere too ... I have the same right tricep one going for about 5 days too, it's like a heartbeat constantly pulsing and sometimes it does a few minutes then goes again ... Then it might go a bit faster beside where the slow one is etc
It stopped me thinking about the one on my tongue tip as I haven't had a constant one like this very often ...
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on November 1st, 2013, 10:05 pm

Anxious guy wrote:I get them everywhere too ... I have the same right tricep one going for about 5 days too, it's like a heartbeat constantly pulsing and sometimes it does a few minutes then goes again ... Then it might go a bit faster beside where the slow one is etc
It stopped me thinking about the one on my tongue tip as I haven't had a constant one like this very often ...

Hey,

My twitch on my tricep has been going on for months now and it does not ever stop and it does change in which the speed of the twitch, now I have wide spread twitching... weird thing now is my left foot has buzzing feeling and I can see very tinny twitches about the size of dimes that constantly fire off in various locations next to one another. This is making me nervous how the twitching has spread. The twitches on my foot I can not feel but now that I see them have me worried that its MND in the way they fire off "ripple looking affect". I hope to get an answer Monday its driving me nuts. I just want to be myself again...........

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby RGB on November 2nd, 2013, 1:03 pm

matthew dolan wrote:The twitches on my foot I can not feel but now that I see them have me worried that its MND in the way they fire off "ripple looking affect". I hope to get an answer Monday its driving me nuts. I just want to be myself again...........

Thanks,

Matt

I have no idea why BUT the 'ripple type' twitch seems to be very common in the foot. I say that as someone who has them and as someone who had an EMG with multiple holes made in my foot(!) and all completely normal.

I see no reason why you are going to be any different than the thousands of people here, your appointment on Monday should confirm this. Hope it goes well (by which I mean I hope it gives you the reassurance that you need).

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Anxious guy on November 4th, 2013, 4:39 pm

How did you appointment go today ? Hope it was good ! How's the shoulder twitch ?
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on November 5th, 2013, 4:50 am

Hey all,

The neurologist had nothing but good things to say. The twitching in my tricep is a normal muscle twitch she worded it as a really tinny muscle cramp, and that it could be there for a very long time or disappear whenever. The body wide twitching is normal along the same grounds of my tricep. However I was unable to clearly she her the twitching in my foot which bothers me as a loose end that kinda stillworries me in the back of my mind. errrr... she tested my reflexes and my hand eye coordination, all normal. She tested my strength in all my limbs, all normal. She tested my balance, normal.

When it was all said and done she told me a#s twitches are very very fine and they look like a worm moving under the skin and that even though my tricep twitch was very small it was still a muscle group not just individual fibers. With no abnormal findings in the exam she did not want to do emg or any other test.

This has helped me a great deal to go through and see the nuerolagist, their the only ones able to really say if its something to be conserned about. But with thay being said the fear is never truly gone.... there is always that one thing you forgot to ask or show. For me its my twitching on the inside arch of foot. The only.reason I'm stuck on that is because its not like the twitching throughout the rest of my body or tricep. It's very small twitches the size of dimes even smaller that change position throughout the arch of my foot. As though there is little bubbles rising to the surface of the water or little bugs jumping around..... I was unable to show her do to the fact of lighting. When I got home I recorded the twitching . I just am having hard time to post it or down load it to see if other bfs people have that same twitching in the foot...

She diagnosed me with bfs from what she observed.

I hope I will be able to get over this last little hump and try to help amyone here with the knowledge Ihave gained.

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Postby Anxious guy on November 5th, 2013, 5:42 am

Matthew, that`s pretty much what my Neurologist told me, that it was BFS and that I passed all the same tests you did... I called back and asked for an EMG even though he said I didn't need it.. The one on the tip of my tongue is so fine but only comes when its aggravated by speaking etc so its not constantly going for it ...
My tricep / just about my elbow is every so many seconds like a muscle contraction up and down but not the actual tricep.. its from my elbow to my tricep... Its not a typical twitch and its a larger muscle group but maybe that is normal with BFS.. :-s
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby matthew dolan on November 14th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Hey all,

Is it typical to jump right to BFS diagnosis without doing an EMG or any other test to rule out more serious problems. I am having a hard time just letting this go with the twitching and cramping in my foot.

Thanks,

Matt
matthew dolan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS