The chills/shivers

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

The chills/shivers

Postby StressLess on September 22nd, 2013, 9:29 pm

Does anyone else find that they get chills or shivers very easily when watching movies, listening to music or seeing something a tiny bit inspirational? Seems to fit with the hyper-excited theory about nerves. I mean I can literally be watching some crappy show like X-Factor or a bad movie and I find myself just shivering when they hit a good note or do something remotely interesting. Very strange, but if anything made me realise that this is hyper nerves and not something else, it has to be this! It's kind of a pleasant feeling despite how often it happens, although it used to be reserved for special occasions - now I can set it off watching a B grade movie!
StressLess

Re: The chills/shivers

Postby Yuliasir on September 22nd, 2013, 11:03 pm

haha, every day!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on September 23rd, 2013, 6:37 am

Yes!!!! I totally get goosebumps easily. I also get something called ASMR, in which I get very nice feeling brain tingles
when a sound triggers it. For me it's the sound of someone with a certain type of voice speaking softly. Whispering also does it. There's a whole group of asmr vids on YouTube, they're so relaxing and tingle inducing to me.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on September 23rd, 2013, 10:18 am

Yep this happens to me every day. In fact if you want to try something really fun, try going on rollercoasters or other thrill rides now. They will be about 10x more intense than they used to be. I like to refer to BFS as "rollercoaster enhancement."
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 23rd, 2013, 11:13 am

emmie.s wrote:Yes!!!! I totally get goosebumps easily. I also get something called ASMR, in which I get very nice feeling brain tingles
when a sound triggers it. For me it's the sound of someone with a certain type of voice speaking softly. Whispering also does it. There's a whole group of asmr vids on YouTube, they're so relaxing and tingle inducing to me.

Oh my god. I had never heard of asmr before until you mentioned it, but I just tried it for the first time and holy crap is that feeling intense. I watched a video on Youtube where a girl gives you a virtual scalp massage and the feeling was so intense in my brain and my head and neck that I had to go lie down for about 20 minutes until it wore off. I am going to have to play around with this for a while and see what my triggers are. Thank you for the recommendation!

Seriously, once that ASMR response gets triggered there is very little chance you can be stressed about anything. The feeling of relaxation and pleasure is so strong it just completely takes you over for a while.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on September 23rd, 2013, 12:56 pm

MarioMangler wrote:Oh my god. I had never heard of asmr before until you mentioned it, but I just tried it for the first time and holy crap is that feeling intense. I watched a video on Youtube where a girl gives you a virtual scalp massage and the feeling was so intense in my brain and my head and neck that I had to go lie down for about 20 minutes until it wore off. I am going to have to play around with this for a while and see what my triggers are.

HAHAHA Mario, I think you'll be addicted to ASMR now that I introduced you :D Keep in mind that its normal for your ASMR sensitivity to decrease if you overdo it, kind of like with other drugs. So pace yourself my friend.
Check out Gentlewhispering's channel, she is the ASMR Queen IMO. She just uploaded a hairbrushing video in both whispering and soft spoken, and its ridiculously good. QueenofSerene is excellent, too. If you prefer male voices as I do, check out whispermister and thewhisperingvoice. You will need a quality pair of headphones for the binaural vids.
The funny thing is that I know of no one else in real life (meaning outside of internet forums) who gets ASMR. When I try to explain it to my family and friends, they think I am a freak and they have no idea what I'm talking about and some have asked me if it was like a sexual thing!!! But that is really not the case. In fact, I think the "braingasms" are better in many respects to orgasms!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on September 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

It's funny, even as a kid I used to get this sensation. I remember when I was like 16 or 17, a trip to the barber would leave me with such an overwhelming feeling of peace that I almost couldn't drive my car home afterwards. All I could do was sit there and be happy for a while. And I would get the same feeling if somebody with a soothing voice was trying to teach me something or if somebody was doing something nice for me. It was just this incredibly strong feeling of happiness and feeling like I was on drugs. I have been feeling that for years but I never really realized that there was a name for it.

I tried to explain this to my wife once and she had no idea what I was talking about. She had to frame of reference to "getting a haircut and feeling like you are floating on air." So I just stopped talking about because I thought maybe I was just weird.

Now I am wondering if there has always been a connection between ASMR and sensitive nerves and anxiety and BFS. Maybe I have just always been like this. Maybe everybody in this group is like this. I mean, I was getting ASMR triggers back when I was a teenager. It is only now that I realize there is a name for it and that there are other people who have it. This is something I definitely have to look into now.

Oh yes, and since all BFS people have trouble with moderation, of course yes I am going to become addicted to it. Thanks for that. I guess. :D
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on September 23rd, 2013, 1:54 pm

MarioMangler wrote: Now I am wondering if there has always been a connection between ASMR and sensitive nerves and anxiety and BFS. Maybe I have just always been like this. Maybe everybody in this group is like this.

If there is a correlation, then it's not a bad trade off, is it? You get annoying benign twitches, but also the ability to experience euphoric brain tingles. Pretty awesome actually.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Seepi27 on September 23rd, 2013, 2:40 pm

StressLess wrote:Does anyone else find that they get chills or shivers very easily when watching movies, listening to music or seeing something a tiny bit inspirational? Seems to fit with the hyper-excited theory about nerves. I mean I can literally be watching some crappy show like X-Factor or a bad movie and I find myself just shivering when they hit a good note or do something remotely interesting. Very strange, but if anything made me realise that this is hyper nerves and not something else, it has to be this! It's kind of a pleasant feeling despite how often it happens, although it used to be reserved for special occasions - now I can set it off watching a B grade movie!

Yes, can relate to this totally.

I also seem to be fifty times more squeamish than I was before (i.e. I was hardly squeamish at all).
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on September 23rd, 2013, 3:07 pm

When I had tingles/shivers during my BFS, they were usually associated with periods where I felt quite crappy and weak at the same time. Because of this, I associated my BFS tingling more with a sensation I got from the flu, or some sort of virus being active in my system. I am familiar with the barber shop tingles from the trimmer, etc, but that would qualify as a completely different thing for me.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

emmie.s wrote:
MarioMangler wrote: Now I am wondering if there has always been a connection between ASMR and sensitive nerves and anxiety and BFS. Maybe I have just always been like this. Maybe everybody in this group is like this.

If there is a correlation, then it's not a bad trade off, is it? You get annoying benign twitches, but also the ability to experience euphoric brain tingles. Pretty awesome actually.

I have long been on the "BFS isn't really a bad thing" bandwagon, so I would support this logic in a heartbeat. Like I said, rollercoasters are way more fun now, and I am a rollercoaster guy.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on March 22nd, 2014, 12:10 am

Sorry... old topic.

New symptom of the week for me - Chills / shivers across the left side of my head... :?:
UFGatorGuy20

Postby Yuliasir on March 22nd, 2014, 1:09 am

dear frined, really nothing special. I have them too on one side of the head. Just sensory noise.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS