Allergies & Colds

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Allergies & Colds

Postby Craig on November 1st, 2002, 1:40 pm

Has anyone else noticed that they have become more susceptible to allergies and colds? It just dawned on me recently that this past summer was the first time in my life that I've had allergies. Also, I seem to get a runny nose and cold-like symptoms on a regular basis. Not sure if it is connected with BFS or not. Anyone else notice similar immune-related symptoms?
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SoJerseyMom on November 1st, 2002, 1:57 pm

I've always had allergies. No increase in colds. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've had any for a few months.
SoJerseyMom

Postby paranoid on November 1st, 2002, 2:34 pm

I sometimes wonder if the opposite is true. I havnt had a cold in a couple of years... never hardly get one despite having 4 kids to bring home viruses. I almost think my overactive immune system (i.e. eczema etc, etc, & maybe BFS??? ) makes my body more able to fight viruses & bacteria. Or maybe I've been lucky????
Sandy
paranoid

Postby kayce on November 1st, 2002, 6:16 pm

I also have allergies, I take allegra two times a day. Recently moved to a new state so I am not sure if the increase in my allergies and colds this year are due to new climate or BFS. Sorry I couldn't be more of an help.
kayce

Postby Arron on November 1st, 2002, 9:55 pm

just more of the wishy washy symptoms and theories on BFS. I'm not bashing anybody's posts or trying to be mean or snide, what I am trying to point out is this BFS stuff has no "norm" to it and is real wishy washy, NOT the people with it or writing the posts.

Just when you think you might have an idea, such as maybe it's caused by a low immune system, some other people come forward and say they think their immune system is stronger since their BFS started. That is the trouble with this BFS stuff, it is very unpredictable and very inconsistent except for the "standard" symptoms we all get and share. Hang in there, it is all of the inpout that researchers like me are gathering and comparing. We may just find a common denominator yet, but so far, it is VERY inconclusive.
Arron

Postby Nole on November 4th, 2002, 9:37 am

I have a cold right now, this is my second one since Sept. I believe I have a low immune system, always have had viruses and bacterial infections since I was a kid. Twitching seems to be under control now but I think I have BFS from a virus I had in May, and having a low immune system made me more susseptable. Just my thoughts.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Lisa on November 4th, 2002, 10:53 am

I've been surrounded by all sorts of virus' at work these last couple of months (typical this time of year!) but I never seem to catch anything.
In fact I've not had a cold, cough etc for about 3 years!
Lisa

Postby Arron on November 4th, 2002, 10:55 am

Nole, you said, "always have had viruses and bacterial infections since I was a kid."
So why do you think BFS caused your low immune system or the other way around. Everyone gets colds, alergies, flu's and all kinds of bacterial infections throughout the year. Some people get them more often than other's and have worse symptoms, but with BFS, there are just as many people that have said that they never get sick and have great immune systems as there are that say they have a low immune system, just like the posts at the top of this thread. That is the wishy washy statistics and information I was talking about. It's hard to say one way or the other for sure. I mean, if we get some type of flu , cold or alergy every couple of months as a normal kind of thing and you start twitching inbetween one of those episodes, why would anyone say that the virus caused the BFS? I mean, they were always sick anyway and the entire population of the world gets colds, flu's, alergies and so on at one time or another so the liklyhood of it happening a few weeks or even a few months after some type of infection is boundtot be the case with everyone regardless of what actually caused it, right?
Arron

Postby Nole on November 4th, 2002, 3:27 pm

Aaron,

What I meant was that I have always had a low immune system, BFS did not cause this obviously, but I do feel that I may have been more suseptable to getting it because of the fact that I have a low immune system. I was perfectly fine, then whammy, I got a bad virus and the twitching started almost the same day. Many people I have spoken with on this site have said they had a virus before the twitching started. It is just a thought, but I do think it could be realistic. There are so many viruses out there that maybe I finally caught the one that attacked my immune system in a certain way that started the twitching. I know some people dont recall any type of viruses before the twitching started, but I do believe it caused my twitching. Something has to cause this, and there is most likely more than one cause, as with many diseases and illnesses. Anyway, the twitches are under control now and I do believe that one day they will go away. Only time will tell!!!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on November 4th, 2002, 4:15 pm

Good Nole, hang in there and it sounds like you are starting to beat this twitching madness. See what I mean about the wishy washyness of it all?, the poster right between your last one and my last one (Lisa) also said that her immune system is better than normal and she almost never gets colds or infections. With her post and Paranoids and SoJerseyMom's posts, that pretty much makes all of the posts in this thread about 50/50 so far, for and against an immune response or viral type of thing. I'm not saying YOU are wrong or that "I" am right. I am just saying that right now, we don't have enough "one sided" evidence to point in any one direction to be conclusive and this thread kind of sums it up. Once you think you're onto something, other people come forward and prove it otherwise. Hey, it's all good :) and I'm glad it's benign and that you and I can over come this crap. It IS annoying stuff isnt it? Thank god it isn't life threatening!
Arron

Postby Guest on November 4th, 2002, 5:27 pm

It is very wishy washy for sure. Many of us have the same symptoms but at different degrees and variations. It can be a pain if you let it. I am actually at a point right now where I can deal with them and actually barely notice them. I also try and stay off of the net and this site because it can be a constant reminder of the bad times with the twitching. I like to come back and give some encouragement and see how everyone is. It is a nice group of supportive people. Take care.

Postby MariaE. on November 4th, 2002, 9:19 pm

I've also suffer of allergies - since I was in my 20's - but I have not had a cold in over 2 or 3 years. The only thing that catches my attention here is that we all seem to have in common anxiety and OCD. I am not saying these are causing the BFS, but they can surely be a contributing factor to the twitches. Just the other night my husband was telling me that he sometimes gets twitches on his right leg calf, but he just stands up, shakes the leg a bit and goes on with his business - he doesn't dwell on the fact that he got a twitch!!! Maybe if when our twitches started we would not have gone in search of why we were twitching (and found the DREADED ALS information) they would have never gotten this bad, then again maybe they would and eventually would have gone away - who knows!!!! In my case, I know for sure they got 100% worst when I read about ALS.
Take care everybody.
MariaE. :)
MariaE.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS