new symptom

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

new symptom

Postby kayce on November 1st, 2002, 9:17 am

I have been having aches and pain in my left arm and hand. This bothers me because this is where it all started. My pain in my left arm startes about me elbow on the front side and moves down my arm. It feels like I have pulled a muscle or possible spranged my arm, but I haven't done anything like that. I really need someone to assure me that this is not the begining of ALS or Parkinson or some other neurological disorders. I went to the neurologist about a month ago who told me I had benign fasciculation and sent me home, however he did not deem it necessary to run an emg on my arm. I would greatly appreciate any insight on this matter.
Thanks in Advance
Kayce :?
kayce

Postby SoJerseyMom on November 1st, 2002, 2:06 pm

Kayce, My left arm was throbbing off and on for no reason a few weeks ago. After a few days it stopped. I sometimes get a generalized achy feeling through the arms, shoulders, and hips. Over the counter Ibuprofen tablets help me. From what I've read here, a lot of BFS sufferers seem to have aches. I'm sure your neurologist is right and you have nothing to worry about. Try to relax!
SoJerseyMom

Postby Guest on November 1st, 2002, 6:35 pm

Hi, i get aches and pains in my arms and hands from time to time. This seems to be common in both BFS and Fibromyalgia. I've been through an extensive workup by a great neurologist including a thorough EMG.
If you need further peace of mind, you should call your nerologist. They want to know about any changes in symptoms. I'm sure he'll reassure you. I've called mine several times and always felt much better.
Good luck!

Postby Arron on November 1st, 2002, 10:00 pm

Mee too, left arm pain, minor cramps, fatigue, stiffness and soreness. It comes and goes. A LOT of people with BFS report this stuff in their arms, not just the left side either. What does mostly happen, is that it is "usually" one arm at a time that does this and it tends to stay in that arm. meaning, if you get it in your right arm and it ever comes back, it will most likely be in your right arm again for some reason. This is also a normal symptom for BFS and fibro, which I am beginning to believe are one in the same.
Arron

Aches

Postby Souris on November 2nd, 2002, 7:15 am

Hi there,
Me too, I have aching in both arms, on and off. I'm having it right now. Feels like I did a lot of workout, but I haven't been the gym for a week... The pain moved from my lower arms to my elbows and then to my upper arms and my shoulders. I've been pretty scared about ALS these days, so I guess the pain in my arms comes from muscle tension and stress. When I'm stressed, I'm often very tense in my arms and shoulders.
It's a vicious circle, I think, for all of us. The more scared you get, the more symptoms you have and they scare you even more. I have noticed that when I'm worrying a lot about tongue twitches, I get them more often, and then, when I'm worrying about my arms, my tongue doesn't twitch anymore... The mind is very powerful. We just have to relax.
Take care.
Souris
Souris

Postby Arron on November 2nd, 2002, 2:25 pm

Souris, it sounds like you are starting to understand how the BFS circle works now. Once you know that, it is easier to relax and you know what happens when you relax... symptoms subside. maybe not 100% but the do back-off a little. hang in there, ALS doesn't have the symptoms you describe. :-)
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS