Question regarding accuracy of EMG test

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question regarding accuracy of EMG test

Postby Craig on October 31st, 2002, 2:00 pm

I was curious as to how accurate an EMG test is? I know this question has been posed before, but I have yet to find a clear answer to it. Does a clean EMG mean you are in the clear, or is it just another sign that helps point away from a serious disease. Also, how does time factor into the EMG test, ie. does it make a significant difference if the EMG is done 1 week after twitching begins or if it is done 1 year after twitching begins. Last but not least, what is the consensus of getting blood work done, MRIs, follow-up EMGs, follow-up neuro appointments, etc?

I've heard many conflicting thoughts about this and was curious if anyone could bring some light to this. I would also think this would be beneficial for many of the new twitchers to know as well.

Thanks,

Craig
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

EMG

Postby SCOTT on October 31st, 2002, 2:13 pm

EMG WILL FIND MUSCLE PROBLEMS WHEN FASCICULATIONS ARE PRESENT. THIS IS BECAUSE FASCICULATIONS/TWITCHES IN THE CASE OF ALS THAT IS, ONLY OCCUR LATE IN THE PROCESS.
ONE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE MUSCLE DIESEASE FOR SOME TIME 5-10 MONTHS BEFORE MUSCLE DEATH WOULD BE FAR ENOUGH ALONG TO CAUSE TWITCHES.THAT IS WHY WEAKNESS IS ALWAYS PRESENT WITH ALS. DONT QUESTION THE EMG RESULTS. A CLEAN EMG MEANS NO ALS.
ALONG WITH A NORMAL NEURO EXAM.
SCOTT

Postby Arron on November 1st, 2002, 9:37 pm

yeah, e just had a discussion on this a while back and I pointed out that ANY test can be too early, it just depends on what the symptoms are at first. I mean if you get infected with HIV one day and the next you get a blood test, it ain;t going to show-up until it incubates and spreads. If you already have twitches and you get an EMG, being that twitches are a SECONDARY part of the dying muscle process, then what Scott just said is totally true, an EMG would surely pick it up. If you went in for a random EMG with no symptoms, then you are kind of peeing in the wind and looking for ghosts with no haunted house.
Arron

fasciculations and EMG

Postby cathy on November 5th, 2002, 10:36 pm

hi,i am a 34 yr old f/m,with benign fascics for 1 yr now,1st EMG was normal,2nd EMG showed irritibility in paraspinal muscles and found 2 fascics,3rd EMG shows mild abnormalities of irritibility with brief runs of positive sharp waves but no definite active denervation and occasional complex repetitive disharges seen in the paraspinal muscles and vastus lateralis,motor unit potentials are normal as are recruitment and interference pattern....could i please have your oppinions and thoughts to this matter............thank you,cathy :)
cathy

fasciculations and EMG

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS