Thank you!!!!!

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Thank you!!!!!

Postby Guest on October 31st, 2002, 12:07 pm

Hi to everybody! Finding this site has been practically heaven sent!
Until now I thought I was the only one having all these weird symptoms and I can identify with all the roller coaster emotions I have been reading about on your messages (for a while I have kind of been lurking in the background just reading!) :D
I started twitching about 8 months ago, it began on my left calf. At the time I did not really pay attention to it since I've suffered on and off of sciatica for quite a number of years so I assumed something was going on with my back and decided to make an appointment with a doctor to have it checked. I made the HUGE mistake of going to the internet before making that appointment and checking under twitches BINGO, I hit ALS, and MS. I had a huge anxiety attack, I could literally feel myself shaking while reading, I was completely sure I had ALS and started thinking that having MS wouldn't be that bad when compared to ALS!! (my aunt died of MS when she was 43, she was diagnosed at 41 - my age - and this has always been in the back of my mind). I was SURE I was going to die and did not want to leave my daughter (she's 7) and my husband!!!!
I made an appointment with my GP, who practically told me I was crazy!(he is a friend of the family) he did a very thorough exam, did all the boodwork, told me I was in fantastic health as the blood work was completely normal. All he found was a little diminished achilles reflex which he told me could be due to a herniated disk - I, of course, did not believe this I was sure the diminished reflex meant I had either ALS or MS! He told me in his opinion I had a bad case of anxiety but if I wanted to feel better I should make an appointment with a Neurologist.
I went to see a Neurologist, who did a very thorough exam and told me I had none of those horrible diseases I was thinking of, he was sure I had a herniated disk, he completely dismissed the twitches (by then I was twitching all over), and told me those were caused by anxiety. He sent me for a lumbar MRI and told me he also wanted me to come in for an EMG.
The lumbar MRI showed two herniated disks (L5 and L4 and I believe S1 or S2), no trace of MS (I also had a Cat Scan the previous year due to headaches and a cervical MRI which were also clean). The EMG was normal with the exception of some neurological damage on the left leg consistent with a herniated disk. This was about 5 months ago and I am still twitching. I've noticed that if I get upset I twitch even more, I went on vacation and hardly twitched at all.
Until I found this website I was still convinced that I had either ALS or MS (even after all the reassurances by the doctors), was going to die young leaving my daughter and husband.
I've had twitches in both calves, in my right foot, in my stomach, in my back, in two fingers, even in some private parts that should not be mentioned in this message :wink: I have no weakness (I am constantly checking for that), I still walk about 2 o 3 miles per day, can type about 120 wpm, I am almost at the point where I can accept that this is some benign condition that I might have to deal with for a while (by reading some of your messages I can see that some of you have been twitching for years!!).
Anyways, this is a long message - I just wanted to thank all of you for your comments, this is a wonderful site and it has helped me a lot.
Thanks!!!
PS. Arron: I take Librium twice a day, I've read that you take Ativan - have you ever tried the Librium? is the Ativan better? does it alleviate the twitches in any way? My doctor prescribed Celexa and I was only able to take 2 tablets - it made all my symptoms worst!!! Thank you for all your postings - you've helped me a lot!!!

Postby SCOTT on October 31st, 2002, 2:24 pm

dear guest, you sound like me a lot.
normal emg, normal exam, blood work ect.
i am just now after 8 months starting to come to grips with what anxiety can do to the body.
lots of long term stress over health ect.
i also get twitches in the calves. almost constant non stop for 8 months and now... started in the stomach. dont like them a bit. thank god they only come 4-5 per day.
do you have calf twitches 24/7 constant?
SCOTT

Postby Guest on October 31st, 2002, 2:46 pm

Scott:
The twitches on my left leg are almost 24/7 - some days a little bit better, other days non-stop. The twitches in the stomatch stopped completely after a couple of days, thank God! those were very annoying (they all are!!!).
When I started twitching I had been worrying over my health for about a year, was diagnosed with suffering from IBS and then with reflux and I was sure I had some malignant disease. I started twitching right before a big meeting I had to attend in Puerto Rico, I am kind of a perfectionist and was worrying myself to death over this meeting.
I am also now beginning to get a grip on this (after I found this website) and have come to terms that the more I worry over the twitches the worst they get. Take care!!! Happy Halloween!!! :)

SURVEY

Postby SCOTT on October 31st, 2002, 4:49 pm

GUEST, YOU SHOULD REGESTER ON THIS SITE.
AND ALSO DO THE SURVEY ON THIS FORUM. THERE ARE 46 SO FAR.
JUST SCROLL DOWN TO THE SURVEY.
WE SOUND A LOT ALIKE.
GOOD LUCK , YOU ARE FINE.
JUST STRESS.....

SCOTT
SCOTT

Postby MariaE. on November 1st, 2002, 3:27 pm

Scott:
I did registered, but I was supposed to receive a password by email and have not gotten it yet so I've been posting as a guest. Thank you for the suggestion regarding the survey, I've completed it and read all the answers - most informative!!!
Have a nice weekend! :)
MariaE.
MariaE.

Postby Arron on November 1st, 2002, 9:45 pm

Hello guest, I haven't tried Librium. I like my Ativan too much when I need it to try anything different. So far, there is nothjing that stops the twitching, just the anxiety is all. There are some meds though that will cause even more twitching, so that is kind of strange. If the Librium is working for you, stay with it. Ativan is cheap and very effective too, If you want to try some, ask your doctor to prescribe 4 or 5, 1mg pills and try it. If it works better, switch, if it doesn't, stay with what you have. Hang in there, you are now in the ever strange world of us BFS'ers and even share the same MS anxieties as some of us other people.
Arron

Postby MariaE. on November 2nd, 2002, 9:02 am

Arron:
Thanks for your answer! I've read most of your postings and I have to say that due to those and the rest of the messages on this site I have calmed down considerably :) I do still have some anxiety over MS, I guess that will never fade away. As I mentioned before, my aunt died very young of this disease and I've read that in some cases it takes years for it to be diagnosed. I guess the attitude to take would be to think that if I do have MS, it does not seem to be affecting my ability to enjoy life to the fullest so I'll try to forget about these bothersome symptoms and go ahead with my life!!!!
Take care and have a nice weekend!
MariaE.
PS. You are right about some meds making the twitches worst!! my doctor prescribed Celexa and I was able to take only 2 pills - I had the most awful twitching and jerking movements! I think I will stay on the Librium as it seems to work on my anxiety and it doesn't give me any side effects. Librium is also very cheap.
MariaE.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS