Is this thenar atrophy? (pictures)

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Is this thenar atrophy? (pictures)

Postby Yuliasir on October 19th, 2012, 1:27 am

dear friend, let me say your thenar is absolutely OK.
I doubt you could spread your finger so much backward with any real atrophy, first of all.

atrophied thenar muscle is weak, flabby and it is clearly not able to move your bones... look at the very old people, their hands with more bones than muscles on it - that is how the atropied muscles look like. your thenars anr instead nice and full of life!

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby bigguy on October 19th, 2012, 2:17 am

Thanks yuliasir and jerry2 for your feedback. You two are absolutely right and I am going to calm down and stop worrying about asymmetrical dents in the body from now on.
bigguy

Postby Seepi27 on October 19th, 2012, 9:41 am

bigguy wrote:bump

Would that 'bump' be the bump you've obviously had on the head and which has made you hallucinate some kind of atrophy in your left hand?

Your left hand is among the most normal that I've ever seen. So is your right. Pity I can't say the same about your brain, though... ;-)
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Seepi27 on October 19th, 2012, 9:44 am

johnnythejet wrote:Hmmm, I think you are probably okay as long as you don't look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Yeah, like anyone is going to fall for *that* one again...

(Actually I've been 'rolling' people all week - I must have got Carmen at least three times. You have a lot to answer for, sir)
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on October 22nd, 2012, 2:31 am

From the last picture I would say its just normal dent between abductor pollicis brevis and adductor pollicis muscles. Might be more visible because of less fat or subcutaneous tissue. Atrophy is rarely like a dent, if the muscle atrophies, its loses it shape and became flat/sunken as whole.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy82 on January 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm

My hand looks EXACTLY like Bigguy´s with the resting dent and everything. Did you guys ever find out what it was.. it is completly normal?
Twitchy82

Postby leaflea on January 30th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Hey, I worry about my thenar too! Those twitches drive me mad. Left hand feels weird and looks weird to me also. Alot like yours actually. Was at the neuro about 2 weeks ago and he examined my hand from a few angles nd degrees of flex and said "there is no atrophy there." Also thought my wrist at watch band area was atrophied and he said "there is no atrophy there, there really is no muscle there." He has many years working at ALS clinic, I think he's seen enough to know. Hard to believe it is our minds doing this, but that seems to be the case. Check out body dysmorphic disorder. Maybe we have a variant of it, those of us preoccupied with atrophy and dents.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy82 on January 30th, 2014, 4:42 pm

I agree its crazy, its just so annoying to be looking at my hand all the time. First I was obsessing about my foot, then I had a month looking at my tongue and now my hand. This is enough to drive you mad!! I really just don't want to go to the dr anymore I want to be able to stop worrying on my own but the more I look at my hand the more it feels weird and twitches!!
Twitchy82

Postby Xina535 on May 17th, 2014, 4:18 pm

I know this is an older thread but I AM SO GLAD I FOUND IT!

I have been having tiny tiny twitches in my right thenar and between my thumb and index finger, so tiny that you can't see them, but I feel them, and at times it feels just like a constant tingle. It hurts too, maybe I strained it somehow.

But since I started noticing these constant, tiny tingles, of course, this has made me OCD about my hands. I am somehow computing this strain feeling with 'weakness' and for some reason these tiny tingles as fibrillations (pffftt!!). I also cannot stop staring at them, comparing them, etc. My husband is totally annoyed.

So since I've examined my hands like as if I had a gun to my head, I noticed this 'line' of sorts, indent of a line in my right thenar, when my thumb is somewhat stretched back. What happened? FREAK OUT TIME!

Reading Twitchydoc's simple clarification that this is the separation between these two muscles helped so so so much! Also the pics....that is exactly how my line looks too! WHEW!!!! Now I can get past this....Thank you everyone!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Questions About BFS