Is this thenar atrophy? (pictures)

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is this thenar atrophy? (pictures)

Postby bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Hi all,

These are pictures of my left thenar eminence with the thumb at rest and the thumb extended. The intervals/valleys/suspected atrophy is not visible in my right thenar eminence except very faintly, and there is no visible dent in the middle of the thenar at rest like there is in my left palm. I'm worried because 1-2 times per day, generally in the evening for some reason, I experience a series of moderate to strong fasciculations in the left thenar eminence, in fact a fasciculation in the thenar is what caused me to first look at the left thenar and compare it to the right one about a month ago. My fasciculations occur in many parts of my body (eyelid, lips, chin, thenar, biceps, butt, thighs, feet), recently I have also experienced 1-2 fasciculations in my right thenar, but not nearly as strong or frequent as in the left thenar.

Anyway, people who have worries about thenar dents, and people who have suspected or clinically verified atrophy, could you please look at these pictures of my thenar "dents" and tell me if this could be the start of atrophy?

Many thanks,
bigguy
bigguy

Re: Is this thenar atrophy? (pictures)

Postby bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 4:31 pm

bump
bigguy

Postby LApea on October 18th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Honestly, my palm looks just like that, and I don't get much twitching action there. The bottom photo looks like my palm when I open my hand fully and kinda bend my fingers back a bit, kind of like what you are doing in the photo.

I see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, just a boring palm. :)
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on October 18th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Of course that's not atrophy. That is a picture of a hand with the thumb extended. All hands look like that.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Thank you mariomangler and lapea for replying, however, what about the slight dent present in my left hand at rest? This dent is not present at rest on my right hand.

A few posts down, I have posted 3 more pictures of my normal right hand to compare to my suspected abnormal left hand. Perhaps it will be useful to look at my hands in reference to each other when making a determination of whether atrophy exists or not.
Last edited by bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigguy

Postby LApea on October 18th, 2012, 5:42 pm

I still see nothing out of the ordinary...quite the opposite actually.
When you see this "dent" at rest, does it seem to get more pronounced when you bend your hand and fingers back a bit?

I was only able to see one photo from that link.
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on October 18th, 2012, 6:11 pm

MarioMangler wrote:Of course that's not atrophy. That is a picture of a hand with the thumb extended. All hands look like that.

Your right and left hand don't necessarily have to look the same. We aren't symmetrical.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 6:25 pm

These are the pictures of my normal right hand that I meant for everyone to see to compare to my suspected atrophy in the left hand.

LApea, yes, the dent does get bigger/more defined upon extending my thumb, I think the pictures of my left hand show that quite well. The dent at rest becomes the 2nd crease from the top of the thenar upon thumb extension, as in one below the natural crease marking the top of the thenar.
bigguy

Postby LApea on October 18th, 2012, 8:50 pm

bigguy wrote:Image

These are the pictures of my normal right hand that I meant for everyone to see to compare to my suspected atrophy in the left hand.

LApea, yes, the dent does get bigger/more defined upon extending my thumb, I think the pictures of my left hand show that quite well. The dent at rest becomes the 2nd crease from the top of the thenar upon thumb extension, as in one below the natural crease marking the top of the thenar.

Yup bigguy, just as I suspected....your hands are perfectly normal. I asked you that question because when I flex my hand back, the "dent" looks deeper and more pronounced. I also checked a couple of family members hands and they are similar in that they have curves and dents in the same places. Plus like Mario said, nothing on your body is exactly the same.
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on October 18th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Hmmm, I think you are probably okay as long as you don't look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby LApea on October 18th, 2012, 9:04 pm

johnnythejet wrote:Hmmm, I think you are probably okay as long as you don't look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

You are officially banned!
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on October 18th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Seriously bigguy, I wouldn't be worried about what you are seeing in your hands. We all have dents and if you look hard enough you'll find many in various areas of your body. That's not atrophy. Also take comfort in the fact that people find dents just like you all the time. You are in good company.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby bigguy on October 18th, 2012, 9:10 pm

LOL thanks for your replies guys, I think I'm finally at ease about all my symptoms. And I actually somewhat enjoy this song... hahaha
bigguy

Postby johnnythejet on October 18th, 2012, 9:11 pm

bigguy wrote:LOL thanks for your replies guys, I think I'm finally at ease about all my symptoms. And I actually somewhat enjoy this song... hahaha

:)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on October 19th, 2012, 12:05 am

That is muscles extending and making dents. The difference between left and right hand is very small. I have some borderline atrophy according to my neuro I went last year (I point out it is there for who knows how long because I didn't notice it before I got twitches and wierd stuff there, but at least 2 years). My left and right thenar look quite different and my left hand interossei is very visible, that is why he said atrophy. My hand looks all shrinken, you just have a dent that is more visible when hand is extended (then all wierd things started to show anyway). I really won't post comparasion pictures of my hands in this thread also, you can find it in my older topics. Yours do not look like mine and mine is said to be borderline (he couldn't decide if it is or isn't atrophy), so I would not worry with your hand at all. And I am still alive after one year and who knows what I have if something (maybe I've had this for 10 years).

So from someone who has suspected atrophy of the thenar and interossei I say to you: do not worry, I change my hand for yours at any time. There are some videos in youtube about thenar atrophy and I say to you even mine looks nothing like that. YOu have atrophy if your cat get scared when it sees your hand ;-)

And plese stop posting pictures of your thenar, it is not a thenar contest site and no offence, you wouldn't come into the finale anyway, any lady would beat you with nicer hands :lol: :lol: :lol:
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS