cramping and EMG

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

cramping and EMG

Postby Guest on October 25th, 2002, 1:18 pm

Hi, I have been twitching on and off for a year.I have had 2 clean neuro exams 1/02 and 8/02, and a clean (I guess it was clean Dr. said completely normal no ALS)on my left leg and right arm on 9/02. My only sx was twitching,now I have been getting an muscle aches and pains, and somejoint pain. My muscles don't tighten up or become stiff kinda like if you had the flu but not sick or getting sick. Would my EMG have picked up this if it was caused by ALS. Or would it have been to early to pick it up? Should I go back to Neuro and have her check it out?
Thank you

myalgia and cramping

Postby Davey on October 25th, 2002, 2:52 pm

Muscle pain (myalgia) and cramping are common symptoms to BFS. In fact, another name for BFS that neurologists use is cramp-fasciculation syndrome. I would not be concerned about ALS, especially since you've had two clean EMGs 8 months apart. ALS progresses relentlessly, and would have been picked up by your neurologist. Also, profound weakness is the primary presenting symptom for ALS, not muscle or joint pain.

I also have muscle pain and cramping, and have been twitching since 6/2001. I had a clean EMG in 8/2001, and I am not concerned about ALS. You will find by browsing through the posts that many others share the same symptoms. If your neurologist isn't concerned, then you should not be. One of the problems many people here have is that we do not have the experience or context in which to put the medical information we have in order to accurately understand our state of health. Doctors, especially neurologists, have that expertise and experience and we all should trust their judgement. My brother, a doctor since 1989 and an assistant to the Surgeon General of the U.S. Air Force, has in his experience only seen a couple of cases of motor neuron disease. He has told me that it is pretty obvious when a person has ALS. Don't worry and rely on the professional judgment of your physician.

Remember: Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget about living today.
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Guest on October 25th, 2002, 3:04 pm

Hi, Thank you very much. But I have only had 1 Emg on 9/23/02 . That was clean. and 2 clean exams. I have not mentioned this to my Neuro because this just started happing on monday. and is scaring me because I read about a guy who had cramping and then he ended up having ALS. Although he did not go to a Neuro until he had weakness so I am not sure if a Neuro would have picked up on it or an EMG would have. SHould I go see my Neuro?
Thanks

To see your neuro, or not to see

Postby Davey on October 25th, 2002, 3:28 pm

It is your call. I think you should just go on living with BFS. However, I speak from the experience of over 16 months of living with BFS and going through the whole ALS scare.

If you are having such anxiety, you might as well go see your neuro and get the peace of mind you need. You are the customer, and if you need more reassurance, then that is your neurologist's job. Your neuro might be able to prescribe medication for cramping (quinine tablets) if you want, but you can get quinine by drinking tonic water.

Good Luck! :)

By the way, I went to my GP 6 times in 5 weeks before he finally broke down and referred me to a neurologist for an EMG-NCV. That's how anxious (and persistent) I was! :lol:
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

To see your neuro, or not to see

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS