my emg results, this time for real

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

my emg results, this time for real

Postby Guest on October 25th, 2002, 2:17 am

Hi. I have a question about my emg results. I don't have the definitive results back yet since I took the emg test yesterday but I remember being told by the emg person that for the shock test, the right arm had significantly higher values than the left arm.

I have had a constant fasciculation on the palm side my left hand, specifically around the base of my thumb. I'm not sure what the values mean, but i remember that for the right limb, it was 15 and for the left limb, it was 9. She kept redoing the emg on my left arm, and the number kept going down to 6, then 5. she said this was normal since the muscle does not respond as readily after being stimulated repetitively. She also said that 9 was still within the normal range. But she was a bit concerned about the difference between the 15 in my left arm, and 9 in my right. The neurologist then performed the needle portion. She said I was normal. My labs from the blood draw were normal as well. So what does all this mean?

I'm worried that perhaps, I'm at the very early stages of a neuromuscular disease and that although I am still normal, I may not be normal for very long. Can anyone answer this? Thanks for reading.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a 27year old asian female, who is a health professional student.

Postby tlotoxl on October 25th, 2002, 5:11 am

I don' t know anything about EMGs, so I'm afraid I can't help there. I hope you hear back from the hospital/lab soon with more definitive answers, and presumably in the meantime someone here can compare your EMG results to theirs. Stay strong.

BTW, for how long have you been experiencing fasciculations?
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jake_the_twitch on October 25th, 2002, 12:16 pm

I don't know anything about EMGs and I don't want to. However, if the neurologist said you were normal then you were normal, don't second guess the professionals. As for the technician they are just technicians who are responsible to make sure the doctors get the correct information thus her concern was most likely for accuracy and not concern for your health.
Jake_the_twitch

EMG'S

Postby Willie on October 25th, 2002, 12:47 pm

I don't know much about EMG's, but I have had 2 of them. I don't know where you had your EMG done,but with mine I got my results right after completing the test. The wait you are going through would have really drove me off the deep end.
Good Luck.
Willie
Willie
Interested
Interested

thank

Postby Sooz on October 26th, 2002, 1:13 am

I've had this twitch for about 6 months now straight. It drives me nuts. I can just stare at it for hours. But I think I'm just caving into my obsessive tendencies...ugh.

Thanks for your comments.
Sooz

Postby graberc on October 26th, 2002, 10:06 am

The shock test, as per my understanding, is for nerve conduction. If you have lower conduction from the top of your arm to your hand then it would mean that a problem would be in there. . .

I thought ALS is found (and other neuro's) by using the needle part of the emg not the shock.

A shock result could mean Carpel Tunnell, compressed nerve, etc.

I could be worng. . .but my Neuro did two tests. One was the shock and he was like "nope, no carpel tunnell" then the other "nope no als".
graberc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS