Achy muscles

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Achy muscles

Postby SoJerseyMom on August 23rd, 2002, 11:09 am

Does anyone else have generalized aches from time to time? I notice it especially after strenuous exercise, but it's different than the feeling you get from overusing a muscle. I also have this all over achy sensation occasionally when I haven't exercised. No muscles weakness or loss of function.

I started about a year ago with muscle cramps and weird sensations, mostly in the legs at first. Now I have some twitching and less spasms. The neurologist couldn't find anything. All tests negative. But my general practitioner suggested BFS because - and this is a weird coincidence - he has the syndrome himself.

If anybody else is achy at times, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!
SoJerseyMom

Postby Arron on August 23rd, 2002, 11:44 am

yeah, aches, fatigue, cramps, etc. are all pretty common with both BFS and Fibromyalgia. Maybe you have Fibro instead of BFS? Theie symptoms pretty much over lap and are very smilar.
Arron

aches

Postby j1 on August 23rd, 2002, 1:39 pm

yes...i get aches in the arches of my feet. General muscel soreness that lasts longer than it used to after working out. Burning muscles during certain exercises. I am glad that someone else can relate to this.
j1

Achy toe and thumb

Postby manylander on August 26th, 2002, 10:51 am

I have achy and painful (not unbearable but annoying) feelings on my right thumb nad left big toe. Left big toe gets better as the day goes on , thumb is always achy. I also had ache in the arches of my feet and right ankle for a while. FYI, been teitching for 6 months, and diagnosed with BFS 5 months ago.
manylander

Postby Arron on August 26th, 2002, 1:05 pm

Oh yeah, that is ALL part of both BFS and fibromyalgia. Some people have overlapping symptoms of each and many have been diagnosed by a good neuro as having both BFS and Fibro, but in a nutshell, either one can cause muscle pain and aches. Weakness and numbness are signs that "could" be alarming. If you ever have real weakness (not perceived weakness) or your legs or arms go numb or anything like that, then get to a neuro, but if you're just draggin' ass or tired or fatigued but can still walk, get up off the floor, etc. then that is all just part of the BFS stuff.
Arron

Postby SoJerseyMom on August 26th, 2002, 3:32 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions!

Yes, Arron, I have considered fibro, but my doctor says I don't have the tender spots associated with that disease and tests for inflammation have been negative.
SoJerseyMom

Postby Arron on August 26th, 2002, 9:27 pm

sojerseymom, from what I have heard about Fibro is that the "tell tale tender spots" do NOT always show-up in people with Fibro. There are a lot of people with Fibro in the neuromuscular forum at braintalk.com. you might want to go there and post a question. That site is VERY active with really nice people, I am there a lot too and a lot of them have been diagnosed with Fibro and BFS. You might get some enlightenment there on your symptoms. Good luck and let me know if you can't find it and I'll help you.
Arron

Achy muscles

Postby Elton on August 27th, 2002, 9:57 pm

Had the fasics for more than a year now. Have them in both of my legs - calf muscles and the instep of my feet. Stopped worrying a year ago, just trying to live with the annoyance factor. My legs ache all the time - I just try not to think about it.

Only problem is that it has cut down on exercise. It is tough to get the motivation to go out for a run when your legs ache. The fasics are also exercise induced. The more I exercise, the more they twitch and ache, so I find myself less inclined to want to exercise.

The flip side of this is that exercise reduces stress - and stress is another fasics inducer. You end up playing silly mind games....

But I gotta do more exercise despite the aches and the fasics, as I need to workout to keep the ticker going.

Anyone else go back and forth on this?
Elton

Postby Arron on August 28th, 2002, 12:53 am

Hi Elton, you should do the kind of exercising I do. I do 12 oz. curls! Ha-ha!1 You know, they just said that beer (in moderation) can help prevent heart disease and cancer and with only 12 ounces at a time being lifted, you don't get the soreness afterwards and drinking beer makes you feel better and happier, which is great for calming down twitches... :-) I'll take you to MY gym if you're ever in my area and we'll "work-out" together :-)
Arron

Postby SusanSid on August 28th, 2002, 4:18 pm

I have had periods, from a few hours to couple days where my muscles ache and I mean really ache. When I ache it's usually more in the arches of my feet, palms of my hands and forearms. However, it's been generalized too. If I'm on the computer too long I notice the next day in my forearms. I know it's worrysome, but appears to common with people with BFS with and without fibromyalgia.
Again, I have found that stress and lack of sleep affect it a great deal and exercise can at times. I must admit that I've been avoiding hard exercise as that's what I was doing when this whole twitching thing started, but it helps my stress level. Oh, what's a girl to do? LOL :wink:
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SoJerseyMom on August 29th, 2002, 2:18 pm

Sounds Familiar, Susan, and I agree that lack of sleep is definitely a factor. I'm always more achy and have more twitches when I'm tired.

Looks like a lot of us have the exercise dilemma, too. I agree with Elton that its important for overall health to get some exercise, so I'm starting low impact (very low!) aerobics once my kids are back in school. I'll just take it at my own pace.
SoJerseyMom

Postby Jen on September 26th, 2002, 6:59 pm

SojerseyMom, I have the aches and pains too. I had them before the twitches and my GP prescribed an anti-infammatory which helped a great deal. Unfortunately, the anti-inflam was a harsh on my stomach and I stopped taking it a week ago. Unfortunately, the aches and pains are returning :( . Lack of sleep is a definite factor for me too. I've noticed that the aches and pains aren't as bothersome when moving around. They hurt most when I'm still and sometimes wake me up. Exercise makes them worse. I'm going to try the anti-inflam again, but maybe at a lower dose.
Jen

Postby SoJerseyMom on September 26th, 2002, 7:31 pm

Jen, I've found that over-the-counter Ibuprofen tablets, one every six hours help when I'm achy. Fortunately, my stomach doesn't seem to be bothered, but I try to take them only when absolutely necessary.

Like you, I don't notice the aches or the twitches as much when moving around. Odd, isn't it?
SoJerseyMom

Postby Jen on September 26th, 2002, 9:34 pm

It is odd that we don't feel the twitches as often when we move around. I spoke to a co-worker today who has fibro. She said that when she sits still for too long, her muscles will begin to tighten and she will become very achy. She uses Ibuprofen as needed.
Jen

Achey muscles are quite common with BFS

Postby Rick on September 26th, 2002, 10:19 pm

Not to worry.
Rick
Rick

Achey muscles are quite common with BFS

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS