Can sciatica cause the twitching???

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can sciatica cause the twitching???

Postby bocareefguy on February 3rd, 2011, 11:14 am

I'm 34 yr/old male. Seem healthy otherwise. No family history of any serious illness (though my grandmother did die of some sort of dimensia when she was in her upper 70s.

A little over 2 weeks ago, I noticed BOTH my leg muscles twitching non-stop - mostly in the calves and feet, but also in the thighs. I occasionally feel twitches in both arms, but not nearly as frequent. I was on vacation and we had just driven 900 miles in a car to get there. My legs felt a little wobbly, but no objective weakness that I could tell. I even went for a few runs while on vacation (but AFTER I noticed the twitching). It started to freak me out. But I read about BFS and felt a little calmer, though the anxiety was still bothering me and I had numerous panic attacks. The twitching has not stopped at all since I noticed it. On the feet, it's strong enough to move my toes a little. I also have some random (but infrequent) twitching in both arms, eyelid and back - but those don't concern me.

I saw a Neuro last week. She did some blood work, which all came back "normal." I have an EMG sched for next week (at approx the 3 week mark from when I noticed the twitching). She told me that these symptoms are not the way ALS comes on and she would be "shocked" if it was ALS, but cannot rule it out yet (as it is only diagnoses by process of elimination). She did strength tests, etc and all seemed normal.

I did a full leg workout (squats, press, calf raises, etc) the other day and felt fine. I haven't seemed to loss any strength - which was encouraging. I am constantly "self-checking/testing" myself with calf raises, etc. There has been no noticable difference in size of legs or strength. My legs are not very big, but have very defined muscle (ignored my legs too much in the gyn).

I did notice that I may have a nerve problem in my lower back. My legs get tingly and start to fall asleep very easily from sitting in certain positions. I also have a constant dull ache that radiates from my upper thighs down to my feet. The ache almost feels like a "weakness" or like the burning you get on the last few reps of a workout. It is usually worse when I sit, and sometimes is worse on one side or the other, though I usually feel it more in my left leg. Last night, I had my son step on my back (to crack it - he's only 50 lbs, so not too much pressure) and when stepped near the tail bone, it intensified that "weird ache" down the leg. All that makes me think I might have a pinched nerve (but I'm no doctor!) It's really hard to put a finger on where the pain is and where it is coming from at times.

Lately, I've been having some random more painful aches in my calves and feet. The pain moves around and usually doesn't last too long. The pain feels a lot like a strained muscle or ligiment. I've been trying to stretch more, but nothing really helps.

Just scared. Have a beatuful wife and 4 amazing kids. I know that ALS doesn't usually cause twitching to start on both legs at the same time and there appears to be no atrophy on either legs. Also, pain is not normally present with ALS. But something is going on. I'm hoping it's just a pinched nerve but I have a tendency to assume the worst. Can a pinched nerve cause all these symptoms???

Any advice or opinions or just encouragement is greatly appreciated. My heart truly goes out to anyone that has ALS. It is a dreadful disease. I will definitely donate to ALS research after this, regardless of the diagnosis.
bocareefguy

Re: Can sciatica cause the twitching???

Postby mommylondon on February 3rd, 2011, 12:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the board. Let me first tell you that I am more than coffident that your EMG will be all good, I'd put money on it. You just described me and several others on here leg symptoms to a "T", seriously. Everything thing you just described with your legs I have had, they have improved but still start to shake when standing in one place for a few. Alot of the pulling, and irritated muscle fiber pain I used to have daily has slowed or stopped even, but it took a while, several months anyway.

My suggestion,,invest in a rolling pin, I know it sounds stupid but it does help with some of the un-comfortableness of the leg muscles, helped me alot really.

Let us know how your EMG goes (although I'm sure it will be just fine) and ask any questions you may have.

Sorrry that you are going through this but things will improve, promise :D

Take care,

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby bocareefguy on February 3rd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Thanks Robynn,

I really appreciate the reply. As I'm sure you know, its just freaky to see your legs twitch without an underlying explanation. I would think that even with BFS, though benign, there has to be a reason the symptoms come on, some chemical change in the body that triggers the twithes. Just wish I knew what it was. I also thought about the fact that the twiching may have been going on for any amount of time and I just never noticed it. I noticed while I was sitting by the pool on vacation. But they may have been doing it for some time w/o me realizing it. Of course, now that I am aware, I can feel some of the twitching now too. I have been unusually anxious lately, with countless panic attacks. I know that doesn't help, but its not easy to stop a panic attack (prob impossible).

I'll try the rolling pin (thanks for the suggestion). I don't think anything will sound stupid to me right now. Just want to get the legs to feel better.

I'll let you know how the EMG goes. I often get a little anxious about it - which I am trying to control. Just not fun waiting!

Thanks again for the support and I hope your symptoms improve also! BTW, how long have you had the symptoms?
bocareefguy

Postby mommylondon on February 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm

I'm about 1 yr in with these symptoms, maybe just over now. Its been lousy ride and I wouldnt wish these symptoms on anyone, (except my ex-husband) :lol:

I sent you a PM when you get a chance to check your messages.

Take Care

mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby RobbieBfs on February 3rd, 2011, 1:45 pm

Last edited by RobbieBfs on April 9th, 2011, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieBfs
Hero
Hero

Postby jesster1015 on February 3rd, 2011, 1:56 pm

Hi There!

I'm relatively new to this (about 2.5 months of twitching) but wanted to chime in regarding the long drive. I went on two drives over Thanksgiving and Christmas to visit family and I think it really exacerbated things. Thanksgiving was when I first started noticing symptoms (I believe they were brought on by a virus) and I think the drive made it worse. A few weeks later I went on another car trip (15 hours) and by the time we arrived at our destination my legs felt like jello and were twitching a lot. Sorry I can't provide much help, but I wanted to let you know that I found things were worse after driving for a long time. Good luck and welcome!

Jess
jesster1015
Interested
Interested

Postby ImOK on February 3rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

As a past sciatica sufferer I can say that the nerve impingement can cause all sorts of strange feelings from tingles to weakness in the legs. Your leg can just give out on you or you can get shooting pains also. None of this is uncommon - sitting is one of the worse things for it. Also, you may also have a tight piriformis which is often what many people have instead of actual sciatica. A physiologist or therapist would be able to tell you for sure, or if there is a really good chiropractor close by. Make sure you get some good exercises and stretches to do on your own as you have to help heal yourself with this type of stuff. If this is what you have an EMG would be overkill. Find out and stop worrying! If you are doing all that activity and are strong then you have nothing to worry about (plus your problems areas are moving about - this doesn't happen in NMD). Did you read the 'bsf in a nutshell' section? It's a good overview.......Many of us here have leg & foot pain and fasics and we are all OK (not happy about it but OK).
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby bocareefguy on February 3rd, 2011, 2:40 pm

Thanks ImOK,

Yes, I did read about BFS, which helped A LOT. Of course, as the mind plays tricks, I have often had the panic attacks override my rational thought pattern and I seem to quickly forget about the reassurance I had gotten from reading about BFS.

Thanks for the input regarding the piriformis. I will look into that. I will also try some more/different stretches.

Thank you again!
bocareefguy

Postby bocareefguy on February 3rd, 2011, 4:42 pm

Jesster,

Just saw your post. I am thinking the drive probably had a lot do to with it. Within 3 weeks, I went on a roundrip plane ride from DC to San Diego and back. Then the day after we got back from that, we drove from DC to South Florida, then Indiana, and then back to DC. Of course, we hit a snow storm on the way back so it turned a 10 hr car ride into an 18 hr ride. One segment, we drove 1300 miles stopping only for gas (21 hrs straight). So if you add it all up, plane and car rides over 3 weeks, I spent nearly 70 hrs traveling. Yes, it seems I am a glutten for punishment. All that points to a logical explanation of why my legs are twitching and have "felt" weak. Additionally, while in FL, I noticed a mole on me that looked strange. That started a panic mode thinking it was skin cancer and I was able to find a dermatologist to squeeze me in the next day. Sure enough, it was skin cancer (but thankfully only basil cell). That little episode certainly didn't help with anxiety either! So I suppose between the stress of traveling, confinement of 70 hrs in a seat traveling and the stress of the little skin cancer episode, I guess I shouldn't wonder too hard why I am having some "issues."
bocareefguy

Postby raindog on February 3rd, 2011, 6:14 pm

bocareefguy wrote:I'm 34 yr/old male. Seem healthy otherwise. No family history of any serious illness (though my grandmother did die of some sort of dimensia when she was in her upper 70s.

A little over 2 weeks ago, I noticed BOTH my leg muscles twitching non-stop - mostly in the calves and feet, but also in the thighs. I occasionally feel twitches in both arms, but not nearly as frequent. I was on vacation and we had just driven 900 miles in a car to get there. My legs felt a little wobbly, but no objective weakness that I could tell. I even went for a few runs while on vacation (but AFTER I noticed the twitching). It started to freak me out. But I read about BFS and felt a little calmer, though the anxiety was still bothering me and I had numerous panic attacks. The twitching has not stopped at all since I noticed it. On the feet, it's strong enough to move my toes a little. I also have some random (but infrequent) twitching in both arms, eyelid and back - but those don't concern me.

I saw a Neuro last week. She did some blood work, which all came back "normal." I have an EMG sched for next week (at approx the 3 week mark from when I noticed the twitching). She told me that these symptoms are not the way ALS comes on and she would be "shocked" if it was ALS, but cannot rule it out yet (as it is only diagnoses by process of elimination). She did strength tests, etc and all seemed normal.

I did a full leg workout (squats, press, calf raises, etc) the other day and felt fine. I haven't seemed to loss any strength - which was encouraging. I am constantly "self-checking/testing" myself with calf raises, etc. There has been no noticable difference in size of legs or strength. My legs are not very big, but have very defined muscle (ignored my legs too much in the gyn).

I did notice that I may have a nerve problem in my lower back. My legs get tingly and start to fall asleep very easily from sitting in certain positions. I also have a constant dull ache that radiates from my upper thighs down to my feet. The ache almost feels like a "weakness" or like the burning you get on the last few reps of a workout. It is usually worse when I sit, and sometimes is worse on one side or the other, though I usually feel it more in my left leg. Last night, I had my son step on my back (to crack it - he's only 50 lbs, so not too much pressure) and when stepped near the tail bone, it intensified that "weird ache" down the leg. All that makes me think I might have a pinched nerve (but I'm no doctor!) It's really hard to put a finger on where the pain is and where it is coming from at times.

Lately, I've been having some random more painful aches in my calves and feet. The pain moves around and usually doesn't last too long. The pain feels a lot like a strained muscle or ligiment. I've been trying to stretch more, but nothing really helps.

Just scared. Have a beatuful wife and 4 amazing kids. I know that ALS doesn't usually cause twitching to start on both legs at the same time and there appears to be no atrophy on either legs. Also, pain is not normally present with ALS. But something is going on. I'm hoping it's just a pinched nerve but I have a tendency to assume the worst. Can a pinched nerve cause all these symptoms???

Any advice or opinions or just encouragement is greatly appreciated. My heart truly goes out to anyone that has ALS. It is a dreadful disease. I will definitely donate to ALS research after this, regardless of the diagnosis.

In answer to your question Tons of people (including myself) do get them

http://www.spine-health.com/search/goog ... _form#1309
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby RobbieBfs on February 3rd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Last edited by RobbieBfs on April 9th, 2011, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieBfs
Hero
Hero

Postby dARR on February 4th, 2011, 1:21 am

1st off, so sorry about your twitchings...2 weeks in? jeeeeeeze man I dont envy you.

Still, on the bright side: Calf and feet twitching ESPECIALLY non-stop twitches is bona-fide classic BFS my man. Its the calling card of bfs..it is the most common type of non-stop twitching and is surprisingly common...I have it, robbie has it, raindog has it, dreadpirateroberts has it, check the archives ul find thousands of ppl with non-stop calf and foot twitching. I wouldnt worry about the old emg at all at all.(how *beep* easy is that for me to say?)

Can a back injury cause it? hmmmm I wonder because I did a lot of really bad dead-lifts before mine kicked off. But just like Robbie I have twitches in my face, arms, back, shoulders so it really wouldnt explain that either.

DARR
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby dARR on February 4th, 2011, 1:23 am

dARR wrote:1st off, so sorry about your twitchings...2 weeks in? jeeeeeeze man I dont envy you.

Still, on the bright side: Calf and feet twitching ESPECIALLY non-stop twitches is bona-fide classic BFS my man. Its the calling card of bfs..it is the most common type of non-stop twitching and is surprisingly common...I have it, robbie has it, raindog has it, dreadpirateroberts has it, check the archives ul find thousands of ppl with non-stop calf and foot twitching. I wouldnt worry about the old emg at all at all.(how *beep* easy is that for me to say?)ALSO THE BIG ONE JUST DOESNT HIT UNDER 35... Its something like 2 million to one...so take that with you too...more likely to be hit by lightning.

Can a back injury cause it? hmmmm I wonder because I did a lot of really bad dead-lifts before mine kicked off. But just like Robbie I have twitches in my face, arms, back, shoulders so it really wouldnt explain that either.

DARR
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby bocareefguy on February 5th, 2011, 10:44 am

I saw the posts about the 4 cases (of 210) where the patient was misdiagnosed with BFS and later found out it was ALS. That study, though still a small percentage, is not very reassuring.

I think it go back and forth 100 times a day thinking I do have ALS and then thinking I do not. So frustrating. I think it's those random and moving pains and aches in my feet and ankles. AND that dull weird radiating ache down the leg that gives the perception of weakness. But, I actually worked out my legs 2 days ago and I increased in weights. So obviously, there is no objective weakness. But the non-stop twitching in the calves and feet is so messed up.

Just one more question for everyone... The twitching "all over" - is that non-stop too? B/c for me, both legs are non-stop, but I only get twitching in other places randomly and infrequently.
bocareefguy

Postby mommylondon on February 5th, 2011, 10:55 am

To be honest, the pattern of your twitching that you just described, is most likely one of the most common twitching patterns on this board. I my self have only had random calf twitches, along with what I call random hitters all over the rest of my body, except for my feet. I used to say my feet looked like two bags of microwave popcorn, they used to be contant, nonstop for several months, but these days, I still get twitches daily. several times a day, but they are not much in the way of constant anymore, unless I place my lap top on my lap. When I do this, my thighs and feet start to fire again, When I remove it, they calm back down again, not sure what thats about.

Take Care

mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS