clonus

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

clonus

Postby paranoid on October 17th, 2002, 12:15 pm

The fear is back... actually it has never left. I looked up clonus and I think I have it! If I stand on my tip toes and do knee bends my calves and ankles really shake. I dont know how long this has been going on. If I do regular knee bends it doesnt happen. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this as bad as I think it is?
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Guest on October 17th, 2002, 3:24 pm

Sandy, you have to stop. Clearly, you need to seek professional mental healthcare. You are NOT a doctor and you can't self-diagnose with information you read on the 'net!

Both of these quotes are from the Cleveland Clinics website. They are answers from Neurologists to question concerning clonus.

<fact>
Clonus is an exaggerated reflex response. In general, deep tendon reflexes (knee jerks, ankle jerks, etc when tapped by a hammer) have a certain degree of vigor which can vary somewhat in different individuals or in the same person over time. Neurologists grade the vigor of a reflex and determine whether it is too little (hypo-reflexic) or too much (hyper-reflexic). Clonus is at the too much end of the spectrum: multiple or reverberating jerks.

1. Anxiety, pain, hyperadrenergic state. Clonus can occur even in normal individuals who are very tense and anxious.
</fact>

Clearly, even if what you are describing is truely clonus(sure doesn't sound like it), I think #1 is important reading. From reading all of your posts, I would definitely describe you as anxious and very tense.
Please, stop torturing yourself. I know it is hard, but you have to try. You are ruining your life with worry.

Postby Guest on October 17th, 2002, 9:39 pm

Guest, that was a GREAT post! Paranoid, I too have the jerky, shakey knees and body parts when I put them under stress and I too am an anxious, tense person. Please take Guest's response and try to calm down and relax. Your symptoms will only get worse and stay that way as long as you are all freaked-out and worried. I know, easier said than done, but please try though, OK? We're all with you and we've all been through your fear and KNOW how bad it can be, but please try to listen to us and try to relax and see what happens. I'll bet your symptoms subside, at least to a degree anyway. :-)

Postby paranoid on October 18th, 2002, 6:15 am

I'll try to take your advice ( AGAIN!!! ) I have already assured my husband that if this doesnt turn out to be what I think it is I will seek professional help. Its just so frustrating. Every day it seems like I get new more ominous symptoms and my E.M.G appt is still so far away.
Thanks,
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Guest on October 18th, 2002, 9:35 am

First guest here,
to be honest, I really don't think you should wait for your EMG to seek Psychological help. It is still a month away, and you seem to be obsessing over this to an extreme degree.
Try this, turn off your pc and have your husband hide the monitor or something. Then, go outside and get some exercise. Don't worry if you feel weak or fatigue easily...most of us BFSers feel the same thing during stressful times. Take a walk, ride a bike...anything. Don't get back online until you've received the results of your EMG. Looking up symptoms on the 'net only furthers your anxiety and increases your symptoms. Everytime you catch yourself checking your body, tell yourself that it is just the anxiety/obsession and then don't react to it. It will be hard, but you CAN do it. Do whatever you have to do to get your mind off of your body.
Good luck and God bless.

Clonus

Postby graberc on October 19th, 2002, 6:06 am

Well I really hope that putting pressure on limbs and having a tremble isn't clonus. From what I read from some people with CLONUS is that it causes there muscles to shake until they stop it (like a leg and they grab and stop). Thats bad clonus.

Who knows what other ways it manifests. . .
graberc

Postby Arron on October 19th, 2002, 11:53 am

I think you are overanalizing Clonus and equating it with simple tremors. Don't fall into the never ending game of over analyzing symptoms. If you aren't sure, go see a doctor. It is too hard to self diagnose yourself with most of this stuff...
Arron

Postby paranoid on October 21st, 2002, 10:35 am

I just felt the need to add this final post regarding the above post from Guest. It bothered me for a few reasons so I had to write in my defence.
1) I spend less than 1 hour a day on the computer. That is probably why I sometimes misinterpret what I have looked up but I just dont have the time to spend longer.
2) We have had our computer for less than a year. We chose to be computer free for as long as possible but finally needed it for our children's school work. We are quite computer illiterate which is why when I tried to become a member I screwed up thus I always sign on as a guest.
About the exercise and keeping busy... I have 4 kids ranging in age from 14 years to 21 months, Turkeys, chickens, dogs, cats, and 20 goats. I also walk at least 4 miles a day ( As my leg feels so tired I always wonder when I will have to stop doing this but I dont want to give up) I do all I can to keep busy on top of the above so contrary to belief I am not a lazy housewife obscessing in front of the computer screen. On the contrary I am a highly active, physically fit, 37 year old who has a scary gut feeling that what is happening to me is bad and I dont like having it control my life. I posted here for a little support. I dont think I am any more anxious than many others but I will post no more since you think I am. Thanks so much to all who have helped me especially Arron and Twitcher(nli).
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Arron on October 21st, 2002, 12:19 pm

:cry: Paranoid, don't do that. Some peple just don't communicate very well with written words. Maybe someone was "assuming" that you were a housewife or something and what they said came across wrong, I don't know. I really didn't see anything in this thread that would make "me" (looking at it from your side) upset at all, so I'm not sure which post you are referring to. I'll bet you either mistook what someone was trying to say or they didn't come across the way you would have liked them to with their post. Like I said, I didn't see anything that bad or that would make me feel that you were some lazy housewife doing nothing all day.

Your fears are valid, your symptoms are real and this web site CAN help you. If not to comfort you, it will at least help point you in the right direction so you can get help. Please reconsider, OK? I got mad too a while back and left for a while, but I had so many nice people sending me private messages, I just had to come back. Please stay, OK? We want to help you... :)
Arron

Postby Guest on October 21st, 2002, 3:12 pm

Guest here again, you really misunderstood what I was trying to say. I can only go by what you type, by my experience with BFS and the experiences of others as relayed on this forum. A lot of the people that wind up here are very anxious and seem to spend a lot of time scouring the 'net looking for info. The fear in your posts is palpable, so I was just trying to offer advice on the very limited info I had available. Sorry if I came across wrong.
I'm not sure how you felt that I was insinuating that you are a lazy housewife? Nor did I intend any sort of sexist insult by suggesting your husband hide the monitor. I just gave some very general advice on things that tend to make people feel better: sunlight, fresh air, exercise, and time away from the Internet. Again, I don't know anything about you, so I have no idea how physically active or inactive you are or how much time you spend online.
Please continue to post here if you have questions or concerns, you'll find that eveyone here is eager to help. Just remember that we don't have any knowledge of what your life is like, so advice that doesn't fit and generalizations are going to occur.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Postby Davidd on October 21st, 2002, 4:04 pm

You know that the biggest drawback to email and the internet is that it things are written and not spoken and it is SO OFTEN hard to interpret what people mean when they write things.

Here's an example:

Stay away!

Now, if I said that to someone, it would be pretty clear whether or not I was being sarcastic or not...but by looking at that phrase in text, you might assume that there is sarcasm but how could you know for sure? Especially if it's written by someone that you don't know!

All I'm saying is that we're all here for the same reason...not to hurt, but to help. Communication is key...please remember that "mis" communication happens so often but since we're on a board full of people who want to help, I hope everyone works out the little things and that everyone remains active members of this small club of unique individuals!

Take care,
--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Paranoid on October 22nd, 2002, 7:31 am

Sorry, I took everything too personal. I guess stress from my symptoms and a lack of sleep got the better of my. I appreciate any help I can get. In fact, I have posted a new topic
Sandy
Paranoid

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS