JUST 2ND EMG, NOW I'M SCARED WITH A REASON.

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

JUST 2ND EMG, NOW I'M SCARED WITH A REASON.

Postby GSC on October 16th, 2002, 11:52 am

:?
JUST GOT BACK FROM A NEUROLOGIST APPT. TO HAVE A EMG/NCS TEST.
I HAVE BEEN TWITCHING FOR 3 YEARS AND WANTED TO DO A FOLLOW-UP EMG AFTER MY FIRST TEST IN 1/00. BELOW IS WHAT THE "INTERPRETATION" SECTION OF THE TEST SAY'S:

1. UPPER EXTREMITIES ARE NORMAL EXCEPT FOR MILD CARPAL TUNNEL AT THE RIGHT WRIST.
2. LEFT LEG SHOWS MILD PERONEAL MONONEUROPATHY DUE TO COMPRESSION AT THE FIBULAR HEAD.
3. THERE ARE DENERVATION CHANGES SEEN IN THE LEFT GASTROCNEMIUS WHICH ARE MILD AN CONSISTENT WITH LEFT L5/S1 RADICULITIS.
4. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF ALS, POLYNEUROPATHY, SEEN.

NUMBER 3 IS THE ONE THAT SCARES ME. MY FIRST EMG (BY A DIFF. NEUROLOGIST) CAME OUT NORMAL, THE THE CHART FOR THE EMG STUDY SAID "NL" ON ALL THE AREA. TODAY'S TEST WAS THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE L. TIBIALIS ANT. WHICH HAS 1+ UNDER "FIBS" & "PSW" (NONE UNDER FASCICS) AND L. GASTROC. MED.H. HAS 1+ UNDER "FIBS" ONLY.
IN MY MIND "DENERVATION CHANGES" IS A BAD THING. THE NERO. SAID IS WHAT JUST AGE (I'M 36?) AND PROBABLY BONE SPURS OR SOME KIND OF OLD DAMAGE TO THE SIATIC(?) NEVRVE, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. BUT TO ME THIS IS LIKE THE BEGGINING OF THE END. I ASKED HIM SEVERAL TIME IF THIS WAS ALS HAD NO WAS HIS REPLY. I ASKED HIM HOW MANY PATIENCE HE HAD SEEN AND HE SAID "ABOUT 50". I ASKED DID HE DIAGNOSE SOME OF THEM, "YES" HE REPLIED.
HE SAID I HAD BFS AND ANXIETY, THAT WAS ALL AND GAVE ME SOME NEURONTIN (WHAT IS THIS STUFF FOR?).
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK? I THOUGHT "DENERVATION" MENT THE SOME KIND OF DESEASE LIKE ALS. IS THIS CONSIDERED A CLEAN EMG?
GSC

Postby twitcher(nli) on October 16th, 2002, 3:16 pm

I would be scared, too. But logically, you have to know that it is not ALS finally catching up with you. Denervation can happen for any number of reasons, not just ALS. ALS is probably one of the more rare causes. Nerve damage caused by age, injury or impingment can cause denervation.

Don't forget, long-term BFSers have been studied and NONE have EVER developed ALS. Also, according to the Neuros at the Cleveland Clinic (one of the top two ALS centers in the US), a clean EMG once twitching has started is NEVER ALS. They have NEVER (Not even once) had a case where someone with twitching and a clean EMG went on to develop ALS.
Further, someone posted the results of a study that showed the longest any person in the study went with nothing more than twitches is 13 months before clinical weakness set in. Please note, these people were not BFSers, they had ALS, which would be detected on an EMG even without the weakness that is the hallmark of the disease.

Please try to find some comfort in the fact that your Neurologist said you don't have ALS! Most of them will only say that they don't think you have ALS due to legal liability. He must be pretty freaking sure you don't have it. Everytime I worry, I just try to remember when my Neuro told me it was impossible that I had ALS. (had a very thorough, clean EMG at ~6 months) It helps keep me from freaking out again.
twitcher(nli)

Postby javens on October 16th, 2002, 4:12 pm

If I were you I would take comfort in line number 4:
4. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF ALS, POLYNEUROPATHY, SEEN.
read that over and over to yourself.
If you've had twitching since 2000 then there is no way that you have ALS. Twitching from ALS is due to nerve death. It would have shown up all over the EMG.
No worries :D
javens

Postby GSC on October 16th, 2002, 4:20 pm

SO YOU GUYS WOULD FREAK OUT TOO. I GUESS I'M GOING TO BE THE FIRST TO GO FROM BFS TO ALS. I KNOW, I'M GOING TO FAR BUT IS THERE A WAY THIS NEUR COULD TELL THAT THE DENERVATION WAS CAUSED BY THE A PINCHED NERVE/SPURS VERSUS ALS?
GSC

Postby SusanSid on October 16th, 2002, 6:26 pm

GSC,
Relax, you're going to drive yourself crazy! The EMG showed you DO NOT have ALS! There are so many other symptoms that you would have by now and let me tell you a neuro would not tell you you DON"T have ALS unless they were sure. I had an EMG for a protuding disc on cervical 5/6 several years ago, and it showed mild nerve intrapment. You do get nerve involvement with injuries, and yes, age. Don't make yourself sick for no reason! Hang in there and think of the positive. From one worrier to the other....just let it go and move on :wink:
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

twitcher(nli)

Postby Guest on October 16th, 2002, 8:40 pm

Don't misinterperate my reply to mean that I would be seriously scared. YOU ARE FINE!!! Your EMG PROVES BEYOND ALL DOUBT that you do NOT have ALS!!!!!!
Don't ruin your life over this.

denerv

Postby graberc on October 19th, 2002, 6:00 am

"WHICH ARE MILD AN CONSISTENT WITH LEFT L5/S1 RADICULITIS"

I don't know what the hell this means. . but it's sounds like this is okay. I mean I suspect that this happens to everyone from time to time. I mean I heard that the foot is rarely tested because it is usually has some denervation . . .

number 4 is pretty good. I mean someday you have to believe your neuro. This disease is quick and I suspect that in a year you should have weakness. No weakness for 6 months makes an ALS diagnosis unlikely. A year even more so. Normal people don't get an EMG every 4 months and I bet a normal non-twitcher may see simmilar.
graberc

Postby Arron on October 19th, 2002, 11:45 am

L5 and S1 and back/spine related, as in, once upon a time ago you had a car accident and injured your back, or you fell off a skate board when you were younger and landed on your butt or you lifted something at one time that was too heavy for you (moving probably? remember that heavy couch?) and you compressed / injured two areas of your back (upper and lower) which is VERY common in NORMAL people.

How many TV commercials do you see advertising pain killers for back pain? Doanz, Extra Strength Tylenol, Advil and so on. Geeze, the whole world has SOME kind of back pain / problem going-on!

The doctor was VERY clear is stating POSITIVELY that you do NOT have ANY motor neuron disease, including ALS and that you have something going on with two vertibrae areas of your back... like 99% of the rest of the world has, so RELAX and QUIT dwelling on a half-assed negative sentance from your doctor that isn't even negative at all. YOU ARE FINE! Now get on with your life and go enjoy what you like doing the most instead of dwelling here, over and over again over something that you CERTAINLY do NOT have! :-)
Arron

emg results/denervation

Postby Dr. Jon on October 24th, 2002, 5:10 am

GCS, Do not worry at all about #3. I read emg reports regulary. This is a somewhat common finding from log term spinal nerve irritation, the gasto muscle is inervated by L-5 nerve root.
Dr. Jon

emg results/denervation

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS