heridetary

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

heridetary

Postby Brian_B on October 14th, 2002, 10:58 pm

sorry to ask so many questions but does anyones elses family also suffer from twitching? I know my dad does but not sure about anyone else.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on October 15th, 2002, 10:05 am

I have read a few threads where a someone will say they have BFS only to find-out that their dad or mom had the same thing at one point, but on the other hand, there are a lot more people with no one in their family that twitches... so, here we are in the unknown zone again. This stuff is hard to put your finger on and just about the time you think it is totally stress related, you'll see posts from people that had no stress and had peachy lives until one day they started twitching and after reading about twitches and ALS, freaked-out. There's also that theory about a virus causing it and then you'll read post after post where no one had any cold or flu symptoms at all and this stuff started, so again, it is really hard to pinpoint an exact cause. The hereditary question was good though and who knows? So far, I haven't seen anything that proves it one way or the other. If we keep asking questions and gathering information collectively, we will probably find some answers one day, so keep it up!
Arron

Postby Craig on October 15th, 2002, 12:51 pm

My father went through a similar experience about 8 years ago. I know I have heard of others with family members who have had this as well.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jake_the_twitch on October 15th, 2002, 2:47 pm

I have asked my entire family and although most of them have twitches from time to time it is not the full blown all over constant issue I face. I somehow think it is tied into our perspective of the twitches that fuel it. My wife has experienced more twitching the last few months with the latest being her eyelid which is going on for 4 weeks but she has had her back and ribs twitch as well. She just isn't worried about it though, perhaps seeing the *beep* I went through is keeping it in perspective for her.
Jake_the_twitch

Postby Nole on October 15th, 2002, 4:04 pm

I think everyone twitches. My mother has had eye twitches for weeks, but never thinks anything of them, my brother also. I on the other hand am a hypocondriac and once I think about them or get nervous they get bad. Our minds defenitly play apart inthis, aslo lack of sleep or stress will effect your body somehow. My friend says his back and next twitch everynight he could care less though. Mind over matter, my friends!! Get out and live life!!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on October 15th, 2002, 8:58 pm

It's not the twitches that scare people. EVERYONE twitches from time to time. Sometimes only for a few seconds and other times for a long time (such as eye lids). What scares people and starts the panic is when people get curious and want to see what causes twitches and find that twitches are medically called fasciculations and when you look-up fasciculations, all you find is ALS. THAT starts the panic. It did for me and MANY other people that post on these sites as well. Twitches aren't scary at all, it's the underlying fear that it may be ALS as we have been misled to believe in outdated material that we have read.
Arron

Postby Jen on October 15th, 2002, 9:57 pm

My father had lots of cramping and twitching. He was also in a severe state of anxiety at times, and was a huge caffeine junkee. I had forgotten about his cramps and twitches until just recently.
Jen

Postby SoJerseyMom on October 26th, 2002, 9:28 pm

My Mom says that my paternal grandmother used to have what she called "muscle cramps" in her calves and hands and that you could see the muscle moving under the skin. This was back in the 50's. She didn't believe in going to doctors so the problem was never diagnosed. But I've wondered if there isn't some hereditary connection.
SoJerseyMom

Postby Guest on December 4th, 2002, 5:07 pm

This is a bit of a late reply, but both myself and my Dad twitch. Pretty much to the same frequency, locations, etc. The only difference being that he had no idea his calves were twitching until I pointed it out to him. It was amazing to sit and watch them twitch away while he sat on the couch and talked away unaware - for over five minutes. Now that he knows, he wonders how long they have been doing that - makes me wonder if mine have been twitching for much longer and I never had any idea until I decided to take a look one day. Just proves the mind is a powerful thing. Makes me feel bad I pointed them out - he would probably still be unaware.

Postby Arron on December 5th, 2002, 12:33 pm

EVERYBODY twitches and it is NORMAL for EVERYONE to twitch. It is only when they become more active than "normal" when people start to wonder about them and seek info, only to find misleading info that it may be ALS.

This may sound funny but this is about as simmple as it gets; Everybody farts! :oops: Some people have more gas than other's. If a person started farting more than "normal" and looked-up on some outdated web site or old book and read that excessive gas (farting) may be caused by malabsorption of foods and possibly be something like Chrones disease, or severe Diverticulitus, then someone might start freaking out (and rightly so) that they may need to have their whole intestines removed and have a sack for waste attached to the outside of their body for the rest of their life. Well, twitches and the ALS scare are NO different. It isn't the twitch itself that is scary at all, it is the fear that it may be ALS because of all of the old, misinformation floating around out there.

Thank god we all don't have a farting problem though, can you imagine that? :shock: Ha-ha-ha!! :lol:
Arron

Postby tlotoxl on December 5th, 2002, 1:02 pm

hey, who says we don't have farting problems :evil:
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on December 7th, 2002, 10:53 am

why are farts just so darn funny? I mean, I still crack-up when I hear a good fart! They are just so comical! If they weren't, I guess no one would be making any of those whoopie cushions that sound like farts when you sit on them.
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS