meds side effects?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

meds side effects?

Postby paranoid on October 14th, 2002, 1:02 pm

Could anyone tell me the side effects they have experienced with PAXIL and OXAZEPAM? I started taking both on Fri but I havnt slept a wink! I thought the OXAZEPAM would knock me out but I have a feeling the Paxil is cancelling out the effect. Arron, you mentioned the symptoms would get worse. They sure seem to be doing that. How long should I expect to feel worse. I feel like the symptoms are progressing. My leg twitches non stop and aches/ cramps too. I feel totally wired. Oh and I have to ask again, is it likely that A.L.S. would start in a calf muscle? I guess the meds arnt calming me down eh?
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Arron on October 14th, 2002, 5:14 pm

Hi Sandy, Paxil will calm you down once it starts working but as it is re-programming your brain and altering the Seratonin levels, you will feel anxious, restless and so on. I couldn't sleep a wink when I was on it, but then again, I only took it for about a week and had to quit it was so bad. I needed to be calm, right then and there and I couldn't wait around for 2 or 3 weeks before the Paxil started doing what it was supposed to be doing. I was a nervous wreck! Yes, you are starting to experience the bad before the good. If you can stick with it, it "may" do you some long term good. If you can't bare it, I can certainly understand.

The Oxazepam should be helping your anxiety subside. If it isn't, then it is probably that the Paxil is over riding the effects of it. I would call your doctor, or better yet, your local pharmacist and see what you can do to remedy the problem. If you are all anxious and aren't getting any rest, the twitching and other symptoms WILL get worse ON TOP of the early Paxil symptoms. It is a vicious cycle, so be sure to call your pharmacist and see if you can "up" the dosage of your Oxyzepam a bit to help you sleep. I also experienced slurred speech, clumsiness and a zombie like state while I was on the Paxil, plus some horrific burning sensations from the inside-out of my body. That was a real treat! So be prepared and KNOW it is the Paxil, NOT ALS, and to answer your question about ALS starting in the calves, that is a highly unlikely place for it to start BUT it IS THE MOST COMMON place for BFS to start, continue and stay for a very high percentage of people. Please try to relax! I know it is easier said than done but take it from someone who has walked the walk and can talk the talk, OK? :)
Arron

Postby paranoid on October 15th, 2002, 10:23 am

Thanks Arron, I certainly am experiencing some wicked side effects but I'll try and ride them out. Things can only get better! ( I hope)
Sandy
paranoid

Postby Jake_the_twitch on October 15th, 2002, 2:40 pm

Paxil can take anywhere from 4 -10 weeks to become effective. One of the main side effects at the early stage is insomnia or nevousness. If it gets to be too much call your doc and talk about switching meds. You may also try taking the meds at a different time of the day.
Jake_the_twitch

Postby Brian_B on October 15th, 2002, 10:21 pm

I took paxil for a while but I had a lot of leg pain and I wouldnt have associated that with it except my moms a nurse and she said several of her patients had muscle pain with paxil so I stopped it and it went away. Now I take xannax and klonopin and neurotin and havent noticed any major side effects like that. Plus xannax works right away it doesnt take a few weeks to build up and work.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby paranoid on October 16th, 2002, 3:55 pm

Thanks Brian, I'll keep what you told me in mind. I still think I'll try to hang on...I cant face going back to my doctor so soon to change meds.
paranoid

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS