EMG Question??

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG Question??

Postby Guest on October 12th, 2002, 10:37 am

Hi,
I have been twitching about 2months and had a clean neuro vist at a 3weeks and a clean EMG at about 1 in half months. The EMG was done on my right arm and left leg. I had about four sticks in each.Now my right foot is twitching 24/7. Do I need another EMG done on my right leg to rule out ALS? Or is it pretty much if you had ALS it would be picked up no matter where you were stuck. Is my EMG total clean or is it just clean in the tested areas? And if you do have all over body twitches would the EMG pick it up if it was bulbar ALS?
Thank you

your ok

Postby guest on October 12th, 2002, 1:48 pm

emg will find als if you are twitching.
twitching ONLY TAKES PLACE LATE IN MUSCLE DIESEASE.
by the time you twitch the emg will find it always.
twitches without weakness is always not als.
all over twitches in the form of als only happens very late in the process so by the time you have them all over you would also have severe wasting and profound muscle weakness as well.
look at some of the emg posts by arron on this site and also read the bfs survey.
you will learn a lot.
ALS PROGRESSES RELENTLESLY AND DOES NOT HIDE.
IT IS MUSCLE DEATH. EMG WILL NOT MISS IT.

Postby Guest on October 13th, 2002, 4:54 pm

Thank you,
Do they need to test your whole body to have a clomplete EMG or is it that ALS is pretty wide spread and EMG will pick it up from where ever they test? And would it pick up on bulbar onset? Is ALS through out your whole body and it's onset is just in one spot?

Postby twitcher(nli) on October 13th, 2002, 8:58 pm

An EMG will pickup the damage caused by ALS in muscles that have begun twitching. If the needle was inserted into muscle tissue that you have noticed twitching in, it would have picked up the damage. If you're really worried about the twitching (and have descent insurance) go ahead and have a repeat EMG to put your mind at ease. I'll tell you though, with BFS one of the most common places to twitch is in your feet. Mine twitch all of the time. Sometimes it is just one, sometimes both.
Bulbar ALS is an entirely(sort of) different animal. It wouldn't cause all over twitching. The most common early symptoms are slurred speech, difficulty swallowing(not to be confused with stress induced problems), and difficulty moving food around in your mouth with your tongue. This form of ALS is fast moving, most people die within 1.5 years. It is also much less common than the typical form. If you had this, your Neuro would have noticed.
twitcher(nli)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS