Do you tingle?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Arron on October 11th, 2002, 10:11 am

Debbs, your legs fall-out from under you? Is it from the pain or do they just go limp and the next thing you know.. you're on the ground? I haven't heard much about "pain" being part of MS. Really, in all simpleness, when you think about what MS really is, it makes total sense as to how it affects your body. It is plaque build-up or "lesions" that develope in different areas of the brain or spinal cord. As these white spots grow (or decrease in size) they push on the brain or spinal cord, just like when you've seen those brain surgery documentaries on TV where the neuro surgeon pokes at a spot on the patients brain and whatever that area controls, either moves or goes numb. These spots touch areas and can cut-off signals to that limb or whatever that tiny little spot of the brain controls. These spots or "lesions" also get smaller which make the symptoms come and go. Some of these lesions grow really slow and other's grow really fast. I mean, this is a simple minded way of looking at it but in a nutshell, that is pretty much how MS works. If a lesion is in the area that controls feeling to your legs, you might all of the sudden not feel them and fall down. My friend has MS and she occasionally just falls over. She says sometimes her head will spin and she'll fall over from sheer dizzyness too but usually she just falls-over. My uncle had MS and his first sign was sudden, temporary blindness. He was a teacher and right in the middle of a class he was teaching, he suddenly went blind. It lasted several days and went away. Over the course of many years he finally got realy bad with MS all over. he took lots of drugs (bad one's) and actually died of an overdose of some illegal drug. Anyway, some of those lesions can be so small, they can't be detected or seen in an MRI and with symptoms that come and go sporratically, it's hard to pin point and that is one of the reasons it can take years and years to finally diagnose. You are NOT alone in the MS scare, I too always fear I may have MS, and like I said before, if you look at how many MS symptoms there actually are, you'd think the whole worls had MS!! And maybe a LOT of people actually do. I really believe this! I think a lot of people's "old age" ailments are actually mild MS among other things. Hang in there. If your legs fall-out from under you, go get an MRI WITH contrast of both the brain and spinal cord. At least that will help rule it out. :-)
Arron

Postby Debbs on October 11th, 2002, 10:42 am

Hey Arron nice to have you back :D Hmm I havent heard many people mention pain with MS either,am wondering if MS is hereditary? I have really bad leg pain in both of them and they fatigue easily..I actually have not fallen down, its more like someone has snuck up behind me and pushed the back of my knees in, do you know what I mean? Then they will wobble some they dont twitch much anymore but man alive the pain is intense and the muscles seem stiff in my calves, could be Fibro I guess Im not sure, also been looking at stenosis of my lower back thats a possibility to, I do find relief when I elevate my legs and take the pressure off them,I cant stand for long periods or sit in a soft chair, even my feet are sensitive to walking without shoes like the nerves are exposed or somefink. I am booked in to see the Neuro,I saw him a long time ago and he noted the long deep nerve in my left leg as suspicious (sorry I dont know what the nerve is called) that particular nerve did not respond to the tests he did on bottom of my feet, so somefink is going on for sure I just hope that its reversable or that its something that can be corrected :shock: Fingers crossed :!: Hey thankyou for you help Arron I really appreciate it, its so nice to get a reply to a post, its nice to know that other people really do care.

Deb
Debbs

Postby tlotoxl on October 11th, 2002, 11:32 am

http://lizard.unm.edu/~msclinic/FAQs.htm

Q: Is Multiple Sclerosis hereditary?
A: There is a genetic component to MS. However, if MS is in your family history, this does not mean you will definitely develop the disease. The chances are higher if you have a family member with MS. However, genes alone do not determine who gets MS. Some event must trigger the onset of the disease.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on October 11th, 2002, 11:36 am

Debbs, I had that same thing, with the legs that felt like they were kind of buckling under me or spazzing in a way that would make my knee unlock while standing there. It lasted a few weeks and went away. I have no idea what the heck that was but it has come and gone a coupld of times in the last 2 years of this crap. I also get the "rubbery" or Jello legs on occasion that many people with Fibro and BFS describe. Keep us posted what your neuro says when you go-in for the visit. When people post about what their doctors said, it ends-up being very valuable for people like me doing research and getting collective information about this stuff. Hang in there girl! We all have very similar symptoms.
Arron

Postby javens on October 13th, 2002, 2:42 am

i've been diagnosed by two neuro's-both on the "best Doctors" list, with BFS. My GP thinks Fibro/BFS or BCFS(benign cramp fasciculation syndrome). I get tingling in my feet and legs...especially after sitting at a computer for a while. I also get pain in my legs. My Neuro said that fasciculations are not even a clinical symptom of MS. He said that most people with MS never have twitches. He did say that there is a rare form of MS that has some twitching...but that the twitching comes towards the end of the disease, when the muscle is weak and dying. When Neurologists hear "twitches", they don't think "MS". I can tell you that tingling in the extremities is very common in people with fibromyalgia.
hope that this helps a little.
javens

Postby Arron on October 13th, 2002, 10:38 am

Thanks Javens. Good post and it's collective information like that, that helps everyone on here understand a little better. It certainly helps ease my mind about MS a little better. Thanks again! :-)
Arron

Postby SoJerseyMom on October 14th, 2002, 10:38 am

Jeff, I too have the pins and needles sensation quite frequently. In fact, I had that sensation and numbness before the twitching so Neurologist tested first for MS. After two clean MRI's, plus the fact that I have muscle cramping and aches, he is certain that's not what I have.

In addition to the pins and needles feeling, I also get a sensation like something is brushing against my skin. Kind of like cobwebs. I also have something occasionally that feels like static electric shocks. So you're not alone with the weird sensations.
SoJerseyMom

Postby Debbs on October 16th, 2002, 1:41 am

Re: Neuro Visit

Finally saw my Neuro today !!! He listened very intently to me then did some testing, he said I had none of the symptoms associated with MS I have apparently no muscle weakness all my reflexes were good, he pretty much found nothing substantial, but did say that he felt that I did have an anxiety disorder which could well be the reason for my symptoms, he does not feel the need to even have an EMG since there is no real weakness only perceived weakness....sheesh where have I heard that before :!: ...lol...he associated my twitching to anxiety and my shaking and unsteadyness on my feet, he feels confident that once my disorder is undercontrol that I will be feeling much better physically :roll: His only concern was my fatigue and muscle soreness and has ordered some testing to check the enzymes in my muscles...

to be continued...lol
Debbs

Postby javens on October 16th, 2002, 4:02 pm

thanks for updating us on your neuro visit. I complained of my muscle soreness to my neuro and he tested my muscle enzyme level (cpk blood test) it was very normal....although it would be nice if a Dr could explain to us why we feel the way we do.
What exactly did your neuro say about the shakiness?
My Dr. thinks I have fibromyalgia. Maybe you should ask your dr. about that. Don't worry though...be happy! :D
please keep us updated on your test results. :)
javens

Postby Jen on October 16th, 2002, 7:44 pm

That is good news Deb. I imagine that you feel better now that this exam is behind you. How does the neuro plan to help you get your anxiety disorder under control? Did he have a name for the disorder? My GP and neuro cited anxiety as the cause of my symptoms as well. The fatigue was overwhelming, but my GP perscribed a lose dose of an anti-depressant, and my fatigue (knock-on-wood) seems to be gone :) . I was having plenty of muscle soreness, too, and that is now much better.
Jen

Postby javens on October 16th, 2002, 9:12 pm

hi jen,
which anti-depressant did your dr perscribe for you?
I'm curently taking amytriptalin and will start neurontin tomorrow.
thanks
javens

Postby Debbs on October 16th, 2002, 9:59 pm

javens...the Neuro lumped the shakiness in with the anxiety disorder :?

Jen...Yes very relieved that I do not have any life threatening sickness, tho I am a bit shell shocked, I cant believe that anxiety can be so dibilitating I kinda feel it is a disease to be able to distupt my health in such a dramatic measure, I would have to say it must have been a long term thing to cause all of these symptoms. My Neuro did not name my disorder, and has not yet placed me on medication till he has the results from the muscle enzyme tests with I had yesterday, prolly wait a week for all that to come back. Im so happy to hear that you are feeling much better Jen, that is fantastic news..you go girl!!! I told my Neuro that Id prefer to get rid of the culprit Anxiety rather than just mask the symptoms, he agreed that is the bestest solution, but it may take some time so medication would help me to cope with the physical response of it.
No idea what he will put me on just yet but Ill let you know. I never would have connected leg pain and twitching and wobbly legs and fatigue to anxiety, is it any wonder we sometimes think we have a deadly disease....Im just so thankful to God that I dont :D

Deb
Debbs

Postby Jen on October 19th, 2002, 1:40 am

Javens, my dr perscribed a low dose (10mg) of Prozac. I've seen a lot of posts in these forums mentioning different anti-anxiety drugs, but I've never seen anyone list Prozac before. Deb, "shell shocked" is an excellent term for it! I couldn't believe that so many symptoms could be from anxiety either. I still have a hard time believing it and don't think I ever fully will. I also agree that drugs can mask the symptoms, but that we sometimes need them. I was in a traumatic situation years ago, and spent 5 years with a therapist dealing with it. I didn't use any meds then. I think that is possibly why I am responding so well to the prozac now. With in just 3-4 days, my symptoms lessened quite a bit, and the fatigue now seems like history. I still have all the other symptoms, but they don't freak me out anymore and overall I am feeling better.
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Questions About BFS