Tests that neuro ordered

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tests that neuro ordered

Postby valger59 on June 11th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Hi all,
I do apologize if this is a repeat posting, I had tried to post twice last night, but it wasn't successful. So, maybe it's just my computer, and it's really showing up, and in that case, I'm sorry to post again.
Anyway, I had a question about some tests my neuro ordered. I guess it was a few weeks ago now that I saw him, and he wants me to do a sleep study, and a 24-hour urine collection. I hadn't thought much of this, and I was going to put these tests off until after we get back from vacation, in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I looked up on google the reasons for doing a 24-hour urine collection, and I'm a little uneasy about what I read.
Supposedely, they are looking for something called a pheochromocytoma, which is a tumor on the adrenal glands, above the kidneys. From what I read, 90% of these tumors are benign, and cause other problems, such as high blood pressure, sweating, headaches, and tremors or shaking. When I was in his office, my blood pressure was high, and I don't usually have that, as far as I know. It's never really been high before. I thought I was just nervous about being in there! I don't really get headaches much, but of course I do have the tremors and shaking, and some anxiety, which is another symptom of it. Anyway, I guess the 24-hour urine collection tests for substances that are in your urine if you have this tumor. Now, I'm concerned that I shouldn't have put this off until after vacation. It sounds like it can be potentially serious. I mean, 90% benign sounds pretty good, but there still is that other 10%, and that's not that low, right? It mean, it's something. And, I don't want to wait on it. But, we are leaving on Monday on vacation, and even if I were to go in tomorrow, the results probably wouldn't be back until after we left. It takes 24 hours to collect the urine, so best case, I wouldn't even be turning it in till Friday.
Also, I kind of hate the whole testing thing before vacations, because I've done alot of needless worrying and ruining vacations over things. I remember one time we went to the beach in Florida for a family vacation, and the whole time I was there, I was worried I had something seriously wrong with my liver, such as cancer. I had a blood test done right before I left, and I think it was like the day before we left, I got a letter in the mail saying that my liver enzymes were high, and I needed to follow this up with my regular physician. Well, at the time, I didn't know what this meant, and I jumped to all kinds of conclusions, and the limited amount of information that I could gather at the time made me nervous that my liver was being damaged in some way, and I thought it had to be cancer. Anyway, that ended up ok, but not before alot of worrying and putting a damper on my trip. I wish I had just gotten it done a few weeks ago now, but since we're so close to leaving now, I was hoping it would be ok to put it off till I get back.
I was just kind of wondering if any of you might be familiar with this particular test, and I'm wondering if he strongly suspects this is what it is, or maybe this is more of a routine test that neuros do.
I've been going through a rough patch of symptoms, one of them being trouble speaking. I've written about this before, but lately, it's more like where it's not certain phrases or words, but just an all the time kind of thing, like a tenseness, or a tightness in my jaw area, that makes me aware that I'm trying to speak right. Kind of the way you would feel if you were extremely nervous, and then tried to talk. Hard to explain, but very irritating.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help with this, you guys are the best. Val
valger59
Hero
Hero

Tests that neuro ordered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS