Tests that neuro ordered

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tests that neuro ordered

Postby valger59 on June 11th, 2008, 12:34 am

Hi all,
I'm very sorry if this is a repeat, but I tried to post a letter that I just took a while to write, and it dissapeared. Isn't that frustrating?? My internet has been going out alot, so maybe that's it.
Ok, so my question was about some tests that my neuro ordered. The last time I went in, which was probably a few weeks ago now, he wanted me to do a sleep study again, and also a 24-hour urine test. I hadn't scheduled these yet, because I wanted to wait until after vacation, which we are leaving for on Monday.
I wish I hadn't done this, but I googled the 24-hour urine test, and now I'm uneasy about what I've read. Supposedely, they are looking for something called a pheochromocytoma, which I think is a tumor on the adrenal glands. From what I've read, these tumors tend to be benign 90% of the time, but that leaves 10%, which isn't all that low. I don't know after reading about it if I have alot of the symptoms of this, though. It doesn't really seem like I do, but maybe there is something he saw on the exam, I don't know. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you know if this is a rather routine test that is done, or do you think it points to the fact that he might really suspect this?
Also, what scares me is that maybe I shouldn't wait till after vacation if it's a tumor that he's looking for. I didn't want to go in before vacation, because, for one thing, even if I went in tomorrow, it would be a waste of time, cause I know the results wouldn't be in before the weekend, and the other thing is that if the results were in before the weekend, and it was something worrisome, I wouldn't want to know before our trip. We are only going to be gone for a week, and it doesn't seem like that should make that much difference.
I've done that before where I've ruined an entire vacation worrying about some health issue. We went on a beach vacation a few years back, and the whole time, I was worried that I had liver cancer. I had a blood test done before going that showed high liver enzymes, and I didn't know what those were, and so I thought the worst. I had read that it meant damage is ongoing to the liver when you have that, and of course, that didn't sound good. But, after getting back, like so many other things, it turned out ok, and I spent too much time worrying about it.
So, basically I was just wondering if any of you might be familiar with this test, and what it might mean that he ordered it. It's so weird how I can be worried about als on minute, and now focusing on this, another scary thing.
Another thing I just wanted to mention, is that I'm feeling discouraged lately, since I feel like I've really had trouble speaking. Not just certain words or phrases, but like a feeling like there is a tightness or tenseness in my jaw that makes talking something that I'm aware of. Like, maybe the feeling you would have if you were very nervous or scared, and trying to talk at that moment. Also, I've had alot of twitching in my temples lately, so that worries me.
Ok, thanks guys for everything, and I hope someone can shed some light on this. I hate going on a family vacation worried!! Thanks, Val
valger59
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 386
Joined: April 21st, 2007, 4:24 pm

Tests that neuro ordered

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Return to Questions About BFS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests