Tests that the neuro ordered

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby valger59 on June 11th, 2008, 12:22 am

Hi all~~
Hope all is well! I had a question about some tests the neuro wants me to do. I had seen him a few weeks ago I guess it was now, and he wants me to do another sleep study, which I haven't scheduled yet, and then he wants me to do a 24 hour urine collection. I hadn't really thought much about it, thinking that I would schedule these tests after we get back from Disneyworld, which we are leaving for on Monday. But, I looked up on google some things about the 24-hour urine test, and I'm pretty uneasy about some things that I've read.
It's funny how I can be so worried about als one minute, and then that worry shifts to something else, now that I've read this stuff. To be honest, it's all very medical, and I really don't understand it, as it doesn't seem to be a simple thing, but basically, doing the 24 hour urine seems to be what doctors do when they suspect a thing called pheochromocytoma, which seems to be a tumor on the adrenal glands (?)...if I'm correct on that. The good news is that supposedely, 90% of the time, these types of tumors are benign, but there is still that 10%, and that's not that low. I don't know if have alot of the symptoms of that after looking it up, though. Maybe he just wants to rule it out, or maybe he really suspects it from something he saw on my exam, I don't know. I was just wondering if any of you have heard of this test, and if it's more or less a routine test for a neuro?
Also, just to mention one other thing, I'm really feeling discouraged lately, cause I just really feel like I'm having trouble speaking. And, it's not just certain words or phrases, it's sort of a tightness or tenseness in my jaw area, that is the best way I can describe it, that seems to interfere with my ability to just speak without thinking about it. It's hard to explain, like the way you would feel if you were extremely nervous, and then were trying to talk. Like, that kind of tenseness in the jaw. Also, this worries me, cause I've had alot of twitching in my temples, and facial area.
Just to update, I've been twitching since March 20, 2007, so it's been almost 15 months for me. But, it's just scary to have focused so long on als, and then realize there are many other scary things this could be. I wonder if it's ok to put this test off till after vacation, or since now I've read that it could be a tumor he's looking for, maybe I should hurry on it. We are leaving Monday, and I don't really want to put myself through this before then, and even if I did it tomorrow, the results wouldn't be in before then anyway. And, I've had that happen before where I do some kind of test right before a vacation, something comes out slightly wrong, and then I spend the whole vacation worrying about it, and ruining my time.
We went to Florida one time on a beach vacation, and I spent the whole time thinking I had liver cancer, because right before we went, I took a blood test that showed high liver enzymes. At the time, I didn't know what those were, and was just panicked that something was wrong with my liver. After we got back, further tests showed everything was ok, and that having high liver enzymes can be common, so I spent all that time worrying. I don't want to go through that again. Sometimes I am tempted to shred my doctors orders, forget about going to the doctor for a while, and just concentrate on my family, being healthy, and staying off of 'google'. Sometimes I truly think it's better to be ignorant, and not know so much about medical stuff. Those people seem happier to me. I try to find too much out, and drive myself crazy.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help, just kinda stressing out here! Talk to you soon, Val
valger59
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS